Confirmed with Link: Lane Lambert Named Head Coach

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Feel bad for Lane. Waited his whole career for this and looked like he gave full effort and was a nice guy.

The move had to be made though. Team has been getting worse as the year went on.
Look, i think Lane is probably a great guy...actually i have no doubt about that. But past the results, he has looked and sounded like he was lost and in a bad place the last few months. I hope this puts him in a better head space in the long run. As much as i wanted him gone, I do wish him well.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Look, i think Lane is probably a great guy...actually i have no doubt about that. But past the results, he has looked and sounded like he was lost and in a bad place the last few months. I hope this puts him in a better head space in the long run. As much as i wanted him gone, I do wish him well.
This should go without saying though. Nobody is wishing this guy harm, but it’s a business that he signed up for and knows the risks, and the criticism he’ll get when not producing results.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I agree with you. Just to add some further context…

I never thought Rick Bowness was much of a coach or that he would go on to much more post Islanders. But here is having solid professional success and making a deep playoff run recently. No reason Lane can’t either eventually.

With that all said, no reason he shouldn’t have been let go either. Just the nature of the position.

Reactions: Lek

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I agree with you. Just to add some further context…

I never thought Rick Bowness was much of a coach or that he would go on to much more post Islanders. But here is having solid professional success and making a deep playoff run recently. No reason Lane can’t either eventually.

With that all said, no reason he shouldn’t have been let go either. Just the nature of the position.

Peter Laviolette was also shit-canned after a relatively short stint with this team. He wound up doing ok for himself. Like you said, it's the nature of the position.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Feel bad for Lane. Waited his whole career for this and looked like he gave full effort and was a nice guy.

The move had to be made though. Team has been getting worse as the year went on.

Maybe he can go get a job in Nashville somewhere.

I never liked him, personally. Always full of excuses and the results were atrocious.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Anyone see this? Lane basically putting all the fault on the players. They’re the ones who are on the ice but it’s his responsibility to correct it. Either way he’s not getting through to them. This should be the nail in the coffin honestly

View attachment 806577
Both Trotz and Lambert oughta put that on their epitaphs. The way to play the game my ass. Like the guy. Liked the offense but in the end he went back to Trotz hockey and got canned. Buh bye. Don't know what Roy will bring but Ted Bundy could have coached this team better the past 3 weeks.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Both Trotz and Lambert oughta put that on their epitaphs. The way to play the game my ass. Like the guy. Liked the offense but in the end he went back to Trotz hockey and got canned. Buh bye. Don't know what Roy will bring but Ted Bundy could have coached this team better the past 3 weeks.
Not a Ted Bundy reference. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Just thought about this…

What’s up with the Isles Goalie coaching?

Mitch Korn still around, if so will he be around much longer now that the Nashville connections (Trotz, Lane) are completely out? Seems like he was constantly looking to retire either way.

What about Greco. Also Varlamov as Roy’s former starter.

A lot of interesting side stories to play out.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Hope the change will light a fire under those players that may have been complacent and not playing their best. The team needs to have a set structure that balances strong forechecking with sound positioning in the defensive end, enabled by much better puck management and movement in the neutral zone. PP worked well this year but PK and closing out games needs a lot of improvement.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
So did Barry actually think “Lamebert” could do the job? I know it’s moot at this point but he was so bad I can’t name a single positive quality he had as a bench boss.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Will be interesting to see what happens to his NHL coaching career. Does he land as an assistant somewhere? Nashville?? Probably no HC job anytime soon.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Will be interesting to see what happens to his NHL coaching career. Does he land as an assistant somewhere? Nashville?? Probably no HC job anytime soon.
Might be a good idea to get an AHL head job for two years
Heck, Roy spent 9 years in Junior (ownership stake too I think)
He'll eventually get another shot, even in Nashville if Brunette falls short

Reactions: Nizami Ganjavi

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Sheesh looking at his comments now, it looks like Barzal f***ing hated Lane lol. I’m sure he wasn’t alone too.
No I don't think he liked either of those two. The conversation Trotz had with the media when the Isles visited Nashville pretty much said it all. He made some comment like Barzal might not have appreciated what he was being told while he (Trotz) was there and then proceeded to say look how good he is doing now. With both of these two gone he's sending out clues about what he really thought of their hockey.

From Hockey News today:

"I feel very comfortable on the ice," Barzal told The Hockey News. "[I feel like I can] just allow my instincts to play in, and that's just not even in the offensive zone. That's just all over the ice.

"And when I feel that, I want to backcheck, I want to strip guys, I want to do that kind of stuff. It's Patrick Roy, man. I want to show him that I can play hockey."

Straight out of the horses mouth. Love it! That's a direct criticism aimed at Trotz because Trotz made it a point to tell the media that when Barzal was on the offensive side of the ice he would let him do what he wanted to do but when the other team had possession and they were on defense he wanted Barzal to do what he wanted him to do. I think Barzy was taken a little back by that statement. Let him vent. He's been such a good soldier.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad