Confirmed with Link: Lane Lambert Named Head Coach

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I initially said that they must have some type of handshake agreement with Lambert.

This works and I bet we find out something about Barry / his family at some point.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
it's better than them hiring a retread. I think this decision was made a few weeks ago because I don't think you let a coach like Trotz go without having some Idea of who you are going to replace him with.

What is strange is why they did not just announce it the same day. Some Rags fans saying Lou waited on purpose to announce it if they won a series lol

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
If he quits, he forfeits his 2022/2023 salary. If he gets fired, he is owed his full amount, minus a deal being hired by another organization for him to coach, if he goes that route.

I am pretty sure by mid June Trotz is working in the WPG front office. I guess maybe he takes off this year but I doubt it

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If Lou identified Lane as the next HC after Trotz's deal was up... and Lane has been on many team's shortlists - Lou didn't want to risk losing him and made the deal now.

Like many this feels a bit better

Reactions: Taswell

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Congrats Lane!

I can’t help but wonder if the time Lambert spent filling in for Trotz in January plus the fact that the Isles were basically a 500 team after the TDL sold Lamoriello on firing Trotz.

Still pissed that Trotz is gone but this is the only situation I’m okay with. Regardless, if we don’t go deep in the 2nd round next season or further I want Lou fired into the sun.
I set the over/under on Lambert at 2 years.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If Lou identified Lane as the next HC after Trotz's deal was up... and Lane has been on many team's shortlists - Lou didn't want to risk losing him and made the deal now.

This is likely how it is.

My first thought when Trotz was fired was that Lou was faced with the following situation:
1) Trotz won't commit now for what comes after this contract
2) Lambert is ready to be a head coach and a handful of teams want him

So, if you're faced with a situation in which you may lose both guys you would want running this team, then you have a decision to make.

We now know what decision that was.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Nothing quite says "a new voice" like promoting a 57 year old coach from within the organization who has spent the last 10+ years working with coach you just fired. Trotz must be ready to retire, and the way that the org could send him off right is by guaranteeing the last year's salary by firing him. Excited for what develops

Reactions: Hunn and duster19

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This is likely how it is.

My first thought when Trotz was fired was that Lou was faced with the following situation:
1) Trotz won't commit now for what comes after this contract
2) Lambert is ready to be a head coach and a handful of teams want him

So, if you're faced with a situation in which you may lose both guys you would want running this team, then you have a decision to make.

We now know what decision that was.
1) My instinct is that Trotz won’t coach next season and told Lambert this first.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Nothing quite says "a new voice" like promoting a 57 year old coach from within the organization who has spent the last 10+ years working with coach you just fired. Trotz must be ready to retire, and the way that the org could send him off right is by guaranteeing the last year's salary by firing him. Excited for what develops
This is what I sense as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad