Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
It’s such a high bar man….
I mean he’s exciting and electric but to go after comparables like that is just setting up to be disappointed, instead of just being stoked like we are but without the necessity of comparing him to a perennial all star and Norris candidate. It’s just too soon
Agreed, but wow, you could see the hockey IQ is there, almost like having a Caufield/Suzuki level type player on defense.

Reactions: Gustave

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Agreed, but wow, you could see the hockey IQ is there, almost like having a Caufield/Suzuki level type player on defense.
Damn right, he’s so comfortable with the puck on his stick. You can tell he wants it and that he has a plan in mind. Throwing pucks at the net like that will generate a ton of goalmouth scrambles. The majority of goals are scored from there so well have an uptick of goals scored in no time

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
That's why I did not understand why some people did not think his shimmies would work in the nhl. The moves he does aren't random flashy moves. They serve a purpose. The reason why there aren't more nhl players doing it is not because it doesn't work, its because they don't have the brain and talent to do it. The moves Hutson does are extremely hard to pull off. With Hutson its just second nature.

You have to remember that most posters haven't played near this level of hockey. The higher you go the more agility, creativity and illusion (optical) grow in importance. All these players are good at hockey. You have to use your mind to beat them. You have to think about what they will do and use it against them with a counter. This is extremely hard to do in the NHL or even semi pro levels. Everything moves so fast.

He is seeing the game at lightning speed with elite agility, high skill and great decision making. You can teach someone to improve their skating. It is extremely rare (near impossible) to teach someone to process the game at that speed with that decision making. The rare time it happens it is usually someone who always had all the ability and just had major confidence issues.

The bold is what sets him apart. It looks like he is all over the place to non NHL players until you slow the game (or video) down. Then you see his movements and shot release are perfect with a clear lane to the net. He isn't all over the place, he is manipulation their positioning and coverage.

Last edited:

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I am excited like the next guy but I hope he plays in the AHL next. As Kent Hughes said multiple times today, it's not what's best for the Habs next year, it's what's best for Hutson's development.

The issue with Hutson is not skill or speed. He needs to get stronger, heavier and the AHL schedule/practice is better suited to continue adding weight and strength. There is no need to rush him and with Matheson putting 60+ points, no real urgency to add another offensive defenseman.

Also, he can play 25+ minutes and get all the offensive touches. Imagine a full year of Hutson playing with Reinbacher in Laval. There is no downside in both playing the whole year in Laval and getting called up if needed.

2 games is not a sample size to decide if he can sustain the rigors of an NHL season.

My top 4 for next year
Matheson - Guhle
Jackeye - Mailloux

(Harris/Struble) - Savard
Kovy

Reactions: hvac412

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I am excited like the next guy but I hope he plays in the AHL next. As Kent Hughes said multiple times today, it's not what's best for the Habs next year, it's what's best for Hutson's development.

The issue with Hutson is not skill or speed. He needs to get stronger, heavier and the AHL schedule/practice is better suited to continue adding weight and strength. There is no need to rush him and with Matheson putting 60+ points, no real urgency to add another offensive defenseman.

Also, he can play 25+ minutes and get all the offensive touches. Imagine a full year of Hutson playing with Reinbacher in Laval. There is no downside in both playing the whole year in Laval and getting called up if needed.

2 games is not a sample size to decide if he can sustain the rigors of an NHL season.

My top 4 for next year
Matheson - Guhle
Jackeye - Mailloux

Kovy
Dream on. At worst, he’ll get heavy sheltered minutes but he’s playing in the NHL next season.

Last edited:

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009

My top 4 for next year
Matheson - Guhle
Jackeye - Mailloux

Kovy
I would argue that sheltering him on the 3rd pairing 5v5 with PP1 at the NHL level would be better for him. It would also be better for Montreal by boosting our Powerplay. We have already seen he can play with older stronger players. The NCAA has older stronger players and so did the international tournaments. By putting him on PP1 he should still be getting 20-22 minutes per game as he learns to play with our future PP1 team.

You want all these same aged kids together building chemistry and learning each others tendencies. This is one of the things I really like about our rebuild. A lot of our team is within the same age ranges and are becoming close friends. That Caufield. Slafkovsky, Suzuki goal last game was pure chemistry and knowing what each other likes to do and where they usually go on the ice.

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Hutson should definitely get the call.

Who are the top 8?

The following have already accepted:

Seth Jones
Jake Sanderson
Zach Werenski
Alex Vlasic
Luke Hughes

Brady Tkachuk
Trevor Zegras
Luke Kunin
Cole Caufield
Johnny Gaudreau
Tage Thompson
Shane Pinto

Reactions: 26Mats

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
These comparisons to insignificant small one dimensional defenders are just so lazy and off. Let me know if Torry Krug or MAB looked like NHL stars playing 20+ minutes a night in their first NHL games.

The last D that had that type of visual impact first game that I can remember is Miro Heiskanen.
I was gonna say too lol

Ain't ever seen Torey Krug move like that..

Lane's his own man and own type of special
And we'll 100% take it

JT3

May 27, 2013
Surprised he was able play as well as he did without having to change is game also I he seem to have easily won most of is battle for the puck which is impressive.
Agreed, the offense is a blast, but we knew he could do that. However like you said, it felt like almost every 1 on 1board battle...he was the one coming away with the puck. He uses his brain and his stick so well to just tie the guy up and then quickly take off with the puck. Really impressive. MSL and the development crew could turn this kid into a monster.

Reactions: jrom

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Im
Not going to tip-toe around this. The kid is a guaranteed star.
Yeah but teams are going to adjust to him. :sarcasm:

It should be obvious to everyone the puck handling and playmaking abilities this kid has are next level.
Any player on our team with a modicum of talent is already better.
Only two games but they weren't IDGAF games a la Ryan Poehling.
Will he start next season with the Habs I wouldn't bet against it.
Will he assume PP1 duties from the get go I wouldn't bet against that either.

Reactions: Rozz

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
The only player I have seen that can do what Lane can do is Quinn Hughes. I am not saying he has Hughes upside, I am saying they have very similar moves.
That's what I thought as well watching him in Plymouth on the U.S. team and watching multiple B.U. games. I live in Michigan and saw plenty of both players in person. I definitely saw the similarities. If Hutson becomes Hughes-light you still have a stud on your hands.

We both have dog avatars:thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad