Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
We need someone who can be a rock beside him. For now, keeping Savard seems to have been the best move possible.

Hutson - Savard next season.
Savard has 1 year left, but if the habs are out of a playoff spot, Savard will be traded at the tdl. Once Savard is gone, bring up Reinbacher, and have him pair with Hutson for the next decade.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Agree. Main differences for me are that Subban had a much better slap shot and used his body really well to shield opponents from the puck when rushing. He was also great along the boards. However, Lane is much more agile and shifty with better stick work. I’m not sure Lane will score a lot of goals, at least off slappers or one timers but he sure as hell will rack up a ton of assists. You can already see he’s a difference maker like Subban was. I think the single most similar thing between them is their confidence and drive in their game. Subban was a big time gamer and so is Lane.
Mailloux is the closer comp to Subban in my opinion. Lane is completely different more like a super agile but smaller Markov

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Hutson - Savard next season.
Savard has 1 year left, but if the habs are out of a playoff spot, Savard will be traded at the tdl. Once Savard is gone, bring up Reinbacher, and have him pair with Hutson for the next decade.
I personally like the idea of Reinbacher playing with Guhle, I don't think there's a player in the system (other than Savard) who really fits with Hutson

Reactions: Paddyjack

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
You still live in 2012. Enjoy your playstation 3
Bro, I'm not even arguing with you. I'm also saying he's going to be successful.

All I'm saying is he's going to have to be that much better than everyone else to succeed. You keep telling me there's precedent for small players to succeed, like I'm some sort of moron for not knowing this, but there is literally no defenseman that's been this small, ever, not to this extent.

Here is every defenseman that's played a single hockey game since 1956. Lane Hutson is the lightest of every single.

So, go ahead and tell me he will succeed despite his size and I will whole heartedly agree with you.

But don't give me this better than thou attitude and bullshit about their being a standard of NHL players of this size or that it's the new norm, because their simply isn't anyone who's been in his situation. If anything if you look at the stats I provided (which I know you won't anyway), historically lighter defenseman has been becoming increasingly uncommon, and the guys you're thinking of are anomalies. Which is exactly what Hutson will be. But it's not some new norm that's being ushered in, it's just particular players that are so talented their size doesn't hold them back.

I know you're thinking of the Hughes brothers, but Quinn is 22 pounds heavier at the same height and Luke is 27 pounds heavier. They are 212nd and 266th lightest on the list I provided, so there's plenty of precedent of players of their size playing defense. 20+ pounds at that height makes a massive difference. Studies show the average man can only add between 35 to 45 of muscle in an entire lifetime of training.

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Markov never had the skating style or quickness and moves that Hutson possesses
I would say Hutson is a young Patrick Kane who happens to be a Dman
I’m mostly comparing him to past Habs dmen. Hutson and Mailloux could be the next generation Markov-Subban/Souray

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
The big concern for me was always going to be whether his moves on the blueline would work at the NHL level and he literally got an assist on one of his first shifts doing that.. and even in game 2, when Detroit had a chance to see what he could do, he still was able to create many chances with it, including the 4th goal on the Slaf tip where a seasoned Detroit forward literally said 'f*** this, I'm hanging back' and still got exposed.
That head and shoulder fake litterally EMP jammed Perrron's brain.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
That head and shoulder fake litterally EMP jammed Perrron's brain.

I was laughing so hard at that. I backed up the feed multiple times to see that more than the actual goal. Perron quickly realized there was no entry in his pokedex for lane fkn hutson.

1713372655419.png

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Do you think that he can reach the level of Quinn Hughes?

With his 2 games, I see similar style of Hughes for sure.
Can we just not ? This is why other fans mock us , Next Makar , Next Hughes blablabla.

I'm just saying , can we settle down , he's gonna be Lane Hutson.

He is not comparable to Hughes at all , skating is in a different stratosphere

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
He will be a hab again next season
He looked better in 2 games than most of our D crew
while it was fun watching him play, and there is no denying his offense, I wasn't overly impressed with his defense. Remember once teams get the book out on scouting players and preparation(s) for games his job will become much harder. I suppose a lot will depend on his partner.

Similar in NFL when a back up QB lights the lamp for a few weeks, teams get wise.

hopefully he can tack on 10lbs of muscle over the summer.

• Wow
Reactions: nicehiss

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I love that his two assists were archetypal Lane Hutson plays.

Extremely excited to see how he looks next year. Have a feeling he's not going to spend much (if any) time in the AHL. I'm probably a bit of a Lane Hutson skeptic in that I think the comparable is probably more like Torey Krug than Fox/Hughes/Makar but man he's going to be so exciting to watch.

Reactions: Redux91 and Rozz

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
while it was fun watching him play, and there is no denying his offense, I wasn't overly impressed with his defense. Remember once teams get the book out on scouting players and preparation(s) for games his job will become much harder. I suppose a lot will depend on his partner.

Similar in NFL when a back up QB lights the lamp for a few weeks, teams get wise.

hopefully he can tack on 10lbs of muscle over the summer.
His defense was fine and he will add some weight but no prob with his defense at all

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
These comparisons to insignificant small one dimensional defenders are just so lazy and off. Let me know if Torry Krug or MAB looked like NHL stars playing 20+ minutes a night in their first NHL games.

The last D that had that type of visual impact first game that I can remember is Miro Heiskanen.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Purely with the puck on his stick, he was as electric as PK at his peak.
Arguably more so but let's say it was about even.

What's more impressive is that we didn't see that PK in the NHL until his 2nd pro eligible season.

Hutson did that while still being in his junior eligible season. That's insane.
And Hutson will have a coach that will let him do his thing instead of not playing an "individualiss" game hehe. Once the other 4 players on the ice adapt to playing with Hutson, we'll see some real fireworks

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
And Hutson will have a coach that will let him do his thing instead of not playing an "individualiss" game hehe. Once the other 4 players on the ice adapt to playing with Hutson, we'll see some real fireworks
Celebrini already adapted ;)

• Haha
Reactions: FLHabs

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
I get guys are excited but holy over the top batman.
Are you really surprised? Many posters here are all about extremes. Heroes or zeroes, nothing in-between. It's all fun for now though... let people have their emotional reaction, but when next season starts, it will be time to have more rational expectations (which I don't expect for many).

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Can we just not ? This is why other fans mock us , Next Makar , Next Hughes blablabla.

I'm just saying , can we settle down , he's gonna be Lane Hutson.

He is not comparable to Hughes at all , skating is in a different stratosphere
This man knows the way, follow him down the road and take the first left before Main.

Reactions: Runner77

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
The big concern for me was always going to be whether his moves on the blueline would work at the NHL level and he literally got an assist on one of his first shifts doing that.. and even in game 2, when Detroit had a chance to see what he could do, he still was able to create many chances with it, including the 4th goal on the Slaf tip where a seasoned Detroit forward literally said 'f*** this, I'm hanging back' and still got exposed.
Detroit players tried to chip and chase him at least 4-5 times in one on one situations at the blue line to try to beat him in NZ race , I legitimately thought he would look lost and turnstyled but he fared much better than I though he would. Like others have said , its not the prettiest , and his first turn is not pretty but he's a better skater than I though in game situation. He let Larkin by once but in todays NHL who dosent let Larkin get a step on them , even guys like Matheson and Dahlin get burnt by a guy like Larkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad