Landeskog

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I don't see him signing here or Red Wings ponying up the money/term to get him here. At least as is.

A move/signing like Landeskog, (TO ME), is a domino type move. One made after a big trade or something... not just a signing you go do cause you need a top line winger to play with a younger core.

Red Wings also need to keep cash free for the following summer, imo.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
lando leadership would be important on a rebuilding young team , and help to create culture .
and you would have to pay vrana 5 any way if keep . so trading vrana then signing lando only
cost maybe 3 mil more of cap space that doesnt mean nothing til bout 4 seasons from now . in the
mean time we are helped by lando's leadership n talent , plus have the draft pick we got for vrana .
so i either have vrana , or lando and a say pick around 20th . i make this manuever every time

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Neither side wants this. Yzerman sounded very much like we will have another this year, next year, which means Nemeth, Merrill, Greiss type signings. Also, Landeskog won't want to leave a contender type team for a team nowhere close right now.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I really can see no situation that Landenskog signs in Detroit unless it’s for us to broker a sign and trade deal.

Why would he? We’re not close to competing, he’d have worse linemates, be leaving friends and uprooting his family, and Detroit is (with all due respect) not as attractive as a city as Denver to most people (including respective suburbia)

Now if something like we sign him to a 4 year 34 million dollar contract (8.5 AAV) then trade him right back to the Avs while retaining 3.5 million for the duration of the contract in exchange for a nice haul (one of Newhook/Byram + a 1st perhaps?), I’d be all for it but I’m not sure ownership would be cool with spending that amount of money (14 mil in my example) for anything less than a King’s ransom

This scenario would definitely not be allowed upon signing of deal. At the very least he would have to play here for first year before this trade could happen. Also, highly unlikely the Wings agree to pay 3+ mil of dead cap for however many years they sign this deal for. Also, highly unlikely the Avs would give up the necessary assets to make this worthwhile for Detroit.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
What forwards do we have who can REALISTICALLY be top line wingers within the next 2-3 years? Like, bonafide top line players?

That's a surprisingly pessimistic view of Berggren, Zadina and Raymond and whichever likely winger we draft this year. If none of those guys can play top line minutes (like they belong there, not like DDK playing top pair minutes because there wasn't anyone else) within three years, this team is a LOT further away than a Landeskog is going to help with.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Overpaying for yet another winger to block our nothing-but-winger prospects? Seems like there are better ways to spend money.

I hate when people say this. On the team the only wingers worth anything are Vrana and Bertuzzi (and he might be traded). Zadina still has to develop. The only good winger prospects we have are Berggren and Raymond. So we have 2 decent wingers now and the rest are 2/3 years out, if they pan out at all. We need everything but saying we don't need a winger is being ignorant. For the love of God please sign some quality forwards so that we can sustain some offensive pressure. I swear that's going to help the defense too.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I hate when people say this. On the team the only wingers worth anything are Vrana and Bertuzzi (and he might be traded). Zadina still has to develop. The only good winger prospects we have are Berggren and Raymond. So we have 2 decent wingers now and the rest are 2/3 years out, if they pan out at all. We need everything but saying we don't need a winger is being ignorant. For the love of God please sign some quality forwards so that we can sustain some offensive pressure. I swear that's going to help the defense too.

This is utterly non-responsive to anything I said. Like, "I know all of our good prospects are wingers, and that's what you said, but you're being ignorant by not also realizing that in addition to needing help everywhere if our only good prospects don't pan out, we also might need help everywhere if our only good prospects don't pan out."

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't hate it but I also don't want to see our highest paid players also the oldest at this point in the rebuild. That is a bad trend during a rebuild. We should build through the draft and if we UFA our way out of the lottery any chance at a cup window ends. We got bad luck in the lottery and we have to act like it.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So hypothetically, how long 'til we could trade Landy (using OP's $3.5m retention * 4-5yrs). Is there a specific timetable? What about the % of cap/$ retention?

I would guess after 50% of 1st yr or thereabouts the trade would be "allowed", but I'm no CBA expert.

It can't be a part of a pre-determined trade. If there are discussions and it can be "proven" that Colorado had a pre-existing trade offer, it's against the CBA. So it's not really a certain amount of time and more... evidence that the signing was a legitimate signing and that the trade offer is a legitimate trade offer and there isn't a relationship between the two. However, you'd find it difficult to prove that they aren't related if Detroit retains 3.5M for the entire term of the contract to trade him back to the team who let him go. The retention makes it very difficult to believe that they're not related. Because if they're willing to sign him to 9M or 8.5M for 5 years... why would they be willing to retain 15M on it for the term of the deal to trade him back? I mean, $6M in Marleau's money got Carolina a 1st. 5M of Staal's got Detroit a 2nd.

The Wings effectively did exactly what you're saying in 2000. Igor Larionov signed with Florida to play with Pavel Bure again. The Wings realized that they shouldn't have let Larionov walk and they traded back for him that same season. That was under a completely different CBA (pre-cap), though.

The idea as laid out is for no other purpose than cap circumvention. The league, despite arguments to the contrary, isn't run by idiots.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
This is utterly non-responsive to anything I said. Like, "I know all of our good prospects are wingers, and that's what you said, but you're being ignorant by not also realizing that in addition to needing help everywhere if our only good prospects don't pan out, we also might need help everywhere if our only good prospects don't pan out."

My point being we don't really have enough actual winger depth to be refusing Landeskog IF he wants to sign with us. He wouldn't be blocking anyone.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Think Yzerman makes a push for Landy if he hits free agency? Would be a good Veteran and probably best player. Also a good mentor for Raymond and Berggen amongst all the other swedes. Bring back the Swedish mafia.

I speculated about this at RWC.
My initial reaction was... wow. He'd be perfect.
But Evolving Hockey estimates. 7x$8.8.
He'll be 29 in November.

Could he come cheaper? 5x$9.2M, for example?
But is that even cheap?
Is he worth that kind of coin?
He has one season of a point per game.
Sure looks like he's good for 28-35-63 plus 54% on faceoffs and 110 hits or so.
But is that a $9.2M player?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I speculated about this at RWC.
My initial reaction was... wow. He'd be perfect.
But Evolving Hockey estimates. 7x$8.8.
He'll be 29 in November.

Could he come cheaper? 5x$9.2M, for example?
But is that even cheap?
Is he worth that kind of coin?
He has one season of a point per game.
Sure looks like he's good for 28-35-63 plus 54% on faceoffs and 110 hits or so.
But is that a $9.2M player?

nope.

If that's a $9m player, then Bertuzzi is a $7m. I think Landeskog was the third most important guy on that line with MacKinnon and Rantanen but he seems to be looking to get paid like the guy who drives that sort of line and I just don't think that's true.

Reactions: MBH

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Landeskog is staying at Colorado.

He's their Captain.
Yeah. I feel like his dissatisfaction is that he wasn’t signed earlier in the season. But if he wanted to stay in Colorado that’s on him. Everything else is just posturing. Only way he can go to Seattle is if he signs a contract with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad