Landeskog

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Think Yzerman makes a push for Landy if he hits free agency? Would be a good Veteran and probably best player. Also a good mentor for Raymond and Berggen amongst all the other swedes. Bring back the Swedish mafia.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Nope

Going big on a UFA is as unacceptable as using our cap space on any cap dump player over 32 in exchange for any pick outside the first round at this point in the rebuild.

Reactions: David D

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I really can see no situation that Landenskog signs in Detroit unless it’s for us to broker a sign and trade deal.

Why would he? We’re not close to competing, he’d have worse linemates, be leaving friends and uprooting his family, and Detroit is (with all due respect) not as attractive as a city as Denver to most people (including respective suburbia)

Now if something like we sign him to a 4 year 34 million dollar contract (8.5 AAV) then trade him right back to the Avs while retaining 3.5 million for the duration of the contract in exchange for a nice haul (one of Newhook/Byram + a 1st perhaps?), I’d be all for it but I’m not sure ownership would be cool with spending that amount of money (14 mil in my example) for anything less than a King’s ransom

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the type of player Landeskog is combined with his linemates etc strikes me as the absolute perfect storm for "this guy is getting overpaid if he hits UFA" especially since the Wings would also need to give him a reason to come here, just one of those things you can kinda tell from a mile away it would probably turn out poorly

that said I doubt he even hits UFA to begin with so kind of a moot point

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Overpaying for yet another winger to block our nothing-but-winger prospects? Seems like there are better ways to spend money.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
We won't provide him the salary he wants, nor would he contemplate wasting his prime years in a rebuild after having gone through an overly extended one with Colorado.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I would definitely be interested in landeskog on a 3-5 year contract. Hell of a player. Plays gritty, can score goals and complement skilled players. Raymond - Larkin - Landeskog would be a lot of fun.

That said, Cant imagine he'd sign with detroit but I hope Yzerman would kick the tire if landy goes to ufa

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I really can see no situation that Landenskog signs in Detroit unless it’s for us to broker a sign and trade deal.

Why would he? We’re not close to competing, he’d have worse linemates, and Detroit is (with all due respect) not as attractive as a city as Denver to most people (including respective suburbia)

Now if something like we sign him to a 4 year 34 million dollar contract (8.5 AAV) then trade him right back to the Avs while retaining 3.5 million for the duration of the contract in exchange for a nice haul (one of Newhook/Byram + a 1st perhaps?), I’d be all for it but I’m not sure ownership would be cool with spending that amount of money (14 mil in my example) for anything less than a King’s ransom
I'd be cool with that specific scenario...retain $14 over 4yrs contingent on both Newhook + Byram/Girard coming back. +/- later pick(s) & minor prospects (Tuomisto for example) from both teams to balance.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Why would he move to us? Unless he wants to get PAID, which we arent gonna do
Because he wants to play with Larkin and Zadina. Also, he loves Detroit-style Coney Island hot dogs.

Furthermore, who wouldn't want to play for Jeff Blashill?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Because he wants to play with Larkin and Zadina. Also, he loves Detroit-style Coney Island hot dogs.

Furthermore, who wouldn't want to play for Jeff Blashill?
Detroit style...

Detroit_Style_Pizza_from_Calphalon_Bread_Pans.png

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

Is this allowed under the CBA?

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Landeskog is a hell of a player, would love to sign him for less than max term. Seeing all these long term contracts blow up in teams faces, and finally being almost free of horrible signings makes me gun shy about them. However I would have no problem giving more money than other teams, Detroit has boat loads of cap space and it seems like they aren’t as interested in “weaponizing” it as us fans.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He played for bad team for so long, now he can win cup with very good team. Why would he want to move

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
If we were closer to competing I'd be game, but I stay away from Landeskog for the same reason I am willing to deal Bert (even though I love him as a player). If you aren't competing for a cup those type of players are not as effective (ie they a mid range point producers), cost more than they produce points wise, and often have a pretty big turn down after their very early 30s. You deal or sign guys like that when you've hit your 5 year cup window. They help put you over the edge, but they aren't guys you build around at the outset. They almost always end up as bad contracts after a couple of seasons into their long term contracts.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I think Yzerman should only sign or trade for major players this off-season if he knows they have enough other signings or trades lined up to make the roster competitive within two years.

If you can get Landeskog, Martinez, Hamilton, and have a reasonable expectation of signing Werenski next off-season, sure, you go for it. That's a roster that can penetrate two or three rounds into the playoffs.

If you only acquire one of those guys, you just knocked yourself from a lottery pick to 6-10 OA.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
- trade vrana for a draft pick
- make an over payment offer to lando , say 1.75 per more than other offers , for 4 or 5 years max
- lando replaces , in a different style , what vrana would have brought . and we get a free draft pick out of it
- maybe swede connection helps signing . and yes i agree lando stats boosted big time by great linemates but still he brings leadership n ruggedness . and imo larkin could use lando around to help him develop his captaincy style
- and those crying about losing vrana hes been in bigs 4 full seasons on a great team and hasnt lit it up , so im not worried about trading him

Reactions: romanstar

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I have to say I think Landeskog and Larkin would be a great combo and create a ton of options for us in the lineup. If it was say, 5 years, I don't even think the cap hit would matter all that much.

Don't think it happens, I'd be shocked if he actually leaves Colorado. But I'm not as against it as others. What forwards do we have who can REALISTICALLY be top line wingers within the next 2-3 years? Like, bonafide top line players?

Reactions: Sam Cogliano

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad