Recalled/Assigned: Lander Called up from OKC, PRV Sent Down to OKC

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
:huh:

I understand why Lander was called up, to replace Horcoff but why is Paajarvi being sent down, it's not like Jones or Eager are drawing in, who's replacing Paajarvi? Hordichuk?
It's a shame because i thought that he and Hartikainen were doing very well with limited icetime, it seemed like he was gaining some confidence. Odd timing on this.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

I understand why Lander was called up, to replace Horcoff but why is Paajarvi being sent down, it's not like Jones or Eager are drawing in, who's replacing Paajarvi? Hordichuk?
It's a shame because i thought that he and Hartikainen were doing very well with limited icetime, it seemed like he was gaining some confidence. Odd timing on this.

From what I understand, Horcoff isn't going on the IR, so to make roster space PRV has to go down. Would be nice to make a decision on Potter/Peckham and waive one of them to the minors.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Horcoff isn't on the IR, so they needed to open a roster spot.

Sending Paajarvi down was the only way to immediately open a spot.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury

Unfortunate to see Paajarvi go down but it probably won't be for long and Lander is the right call for Horcoff's position imo. Like the poster above said they need to choose between Peckham and Potter and let the other go. Ralph's love affair with Potter tells me this player is Peckham which is unfortunate but still the right call.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
This is shaping up to be a disaster tonight. SJ may very well FEAST on those bottom 2 lines, especially with the Oilers being tired.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
From what I understand, Horcoff isn't going on the IR, so to make roster space PRV has to go down. Would be nice to make a decision on Potter/Peckham and waive one of them to the minors.

What would make the most sense is if the Oilers coaching and management weren't sitting around thumbing their *****.

Eager has a concussion. He's not going anywhere. Any conceivable reason he's not on the 7-day IR?

Hordichuk can't play hockey. Any reason they can't waive him? A butt plug who can fight isn't exactly a difficult item to find in the AHL or waiver wire. It's not like Hordichuk plays harder or more usefully than any other tough guy.

Peckham? Same deal. They could waive him, and even if they lost him, they could find a very comparable replacement through the AHL or waiver wire.

The stupidity and mismanagement is mind-numbing.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
What would make the most sense is if the Oilers coaching and management weren't sitting around thumbing their *****.

Eager has a concussion. He's not going anywhere. Any conceivable reason he's not on the 7-day IR?

Hordichuk can't play hockey. Any reason they can't waive him? A butt plug who can fight isn't exactly a difficult item to find in the AHL or waiver wire. It's not like Hordichuk plays harder or more usefully than any other tough guy.

Peckham? Same deal. They could waive him, and even if they lost him, they could find a very comparable replacement through the AHL or waiver wire.

The stupidity and mismanagement is mind-numbing.

Ugh, it's been posted like 6 times already. Waiving someone takes 24 hours, they need a player tonight. If they waive Hordi, they still don't have an open roster spot until tomorrow, meaning Lander wouldn't be able to be called up.

Calling someone stupid without actually knowing the rules is always a great way to go about things.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Horcoff isn't on the IR, so they needed to open a roster spot.

Sending Paajarvi down was the only way to immediately open a spot.

OIC, that makes sense. Thanks Gents.
Still, the timing sucks for Paajarvi because he was finally gaining some confidence and had chemistry with somebody for a change. I know it'll be hard to do because of the lack of open spots but i would love to see The Nordic Line reunited at some point, i feel that they could become a legit 3rd line if given the opportunity to grow together.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
OIC, that makes sense. Thanks Gents.
The timing still sucks for Paajarvi because he was finally gaining some confidence and had chemistry with somebody for a change. I know it'll be hard to do because of the lack of open spots but i would love to see The Nordic Line reunited at some point, i feel that they could become a legit 3rd line if given the opportunity to grow together.

It sucks too because this would have been the perfect situation to reunite them, but without more time or the foresight to get rid of some of the deadweight on D, we can't. :(

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
IMO 91-20-56 have been one of our better 5on5 lines. politics numbers games oh ya and potter is on a 1 way deal! having 8 d on our roster is dumb, sure we need depth at d in case someone gets hurt but this hurts our team today!

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
It sucks too because this would have been the perfect situation to reunite them, but without more time or the foresight to get rid of some of the deadweight on D, we can't. :(

well I prefer this over getting rid of the wrong deadweight..
Judging by the actions of our organization, Fistric may be the weakest link. :shakehead

If Paajarvi was to go down for anyone.. Im sure he would want it to be for his buddy Lander.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
A shame that Lander gets called up and he doesn't have an opportunity to play with Harski and Paajarvi. If those 3 get a chance to play together and do well maybe just maybe management might look to move some bodies out of here or ask Smyth if he wouldn't mind stepping back and retiring before next season.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
A shame that Lander gets called up and he doesn't have an opportunity to play with Harski and Paajarvi. If those 3 get a chance to play together and do well maybe just maybe management might look to move some bodies out of here or ask Smyth if he wouldn't mind stepping back and retiring before next season.

The season just started and it is the EDM Oilers.. By the mid point of the season we will be playing guys like Plante and Green on our big club.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
well I don't recall Lander laying many hits last year or doing much in games to make himself noticed.

me neither but some here had him pegged as the next captain when he was drafted and dont let you say anything negative about him, he is a perfect shutdown defensive C??

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Paajarvi will probably be back for Saturday's game in Colorado. Lander needed to come up because we needed a center and Paajarvi had to go down because we weren't going to risk losing anyone by putting them on waivers for a temporary thing. Horc just has a sore neck and shouldn't be gone for long.. Paajarvi will be back no doubt.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Ugh, it's been posted like 6 times already. Waiving someone takes 24 hours, they need a player tonight. If they waive Hordi, they still don't have an open roster spot until tomorrow, meaning Lander wouldn't be able to be called up.

Calling someone stupid without actually knowing the rules is always a great way to go about things.

I see that Eager's on the IR already too. I missed that.

But the question is why Hordi is on the roster to begin with. I've been calling it stupid from day one.

Or why Peckham is on the roster either.

With proper roster and player management, this wouldn't be a major issue.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Paajarvi will probably be back for Saturday's game in Colorado. Lander needed to come up because we needed a center and Paajarvi had to go down because we weren't going to risk losing anyone by putting them on waivers for a temporary thing. Horc just has a sore neck and shouldn't be gone for long.. Paajarvi will be back no doubt.

Hopefully. My guess is that he has whiplash, and as somebody who's had it twice, it could go either way.

One time, I just had a sore neck and couldn't do much for a few days other than a bit of physio and massage therapy to reduce the pain and increase my mobility.

The other time, even after a week I would get dizzy and had difficulty with my balance, and I went back to the doctor and he examined me and said that I had a concussion that he'd missed when I first went to see him...and it took me a few weeks till I was back, more or less, to normal.

Hopefully it's only the former, but whiplash is tricky.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I see that Eager's on the IR already too. I missed that.

But the question is why Hordi is on the roster to begin with. I've been calling it stupid from day one.

Or why Peckham is on the roster either.

With proper roster and player management, this wouldn't be a major issue.

Yeah, I can understand that. From what it seems like from what I've seen from interviews, Oil Change, etc. is that Hordi is a pure locker room guy. And if you want him to play half decent hockey he needs the right motivation.

Peckham is on the roster just based on his potential to be a big mean defenseman. Him coming in fat this year doesn't help, I just don't think they want to waive anyone that they are positive are just going to be handed to another team.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Yeah, I can understand that. From what it seems like from what I've seen from interviews, Oil Change, etc. is that Hordi is a pure locker room guy. And if you want him to play half decent hockey he needs the right motivation.

Peckham is on the roster just based on his potential to be a big mean defenseman. Him coming in fat this year doesn't help, I just don't think they want to waive anyone that they are positive are just going to be handed to another team.

Well whatever.

I'm not a fan of a pure locker room guy who can't play, but I'll leave it at that.

Peckham is a big mean d-man...who is easy to skate around, good for putting the Oilers down a man at least once a game, and gives great opportunities for the opposition to score.

He's like Hordichuk for the D. Can't really play but there's that threat that he'll "keep the other teams honest"...I think both of them just help other teams win, personally. And I'd be surprised if he was picked up off of waivers by a team that was even a reasonably good or even average team. He can't skate, he puts himself out of position when he hits, he can't move the puck AT ALL, he doesn't even really clear the crease without taking penalties...he's not a useful hockey player.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Paajarvi comes out strong and looks pretty damn good this season and of course, 5 games in is sent back down...

I hope they don't actually make him fly back to OKC.

I also agreed with others in this thread that Vande Velde should've got called up instead of Lander (especially since he was just here for training camp)

Hilarious that we waste roster spots on scrubs like Peckham and Hordichuk then have to send down an effective player because of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad