Confirmed with Link: Lamoriello Media Availability June 6

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
One thing I heard Lou say and I fundamentally disagree with him on is that Lou thinks he has team speed. He defined team speed as not only skating ability but quick puck movement and players getting to spots. I disagree that our roster have many players with these attributes. I maintain this is one of the poorest passing teams I've seen. They don't execute the basics often enough. This lack of skill permeates all facets of our game, from D zone breakouts, headmanning the puck, our power play, and getting back on defense when we can't control the puck in the offensive zone at 5 on 5. We neither move the puck quickly enough or accurately enough to generate offense, and frankly I don't think too many of our skaters have that burst of speed needed to clear the opponent's defense or prevent odd mans back to our D zone.

I don't think I'm even qualified enough to be a good Fantasy Hockey GM but....it baffles me how an NHL Hall of Fame executive watched the 2022-23 NYI and believes this?

Reactions: 12Dog and MJF

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Enough of the teasing

The Champagne is purchased, and on ice.
The speedo is laundered, lookin' posh, and ready for action (metaphorically)
The neighbors have been warned.
Fireworks just need to be set up and lit.

#12, you are soon to be out of my life.

Let the countdown commence!!!!!

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
He also heaped praise on our 4th line, so...CC will be back....
1A140715-FE19-4EFB-AF0C-6444CFE8C28B.gif

CC is already busy working out for next year.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
if they can move bailey, they should have enough cap space.

He did go through our "Core Defenders" - and did not include Mayfield. so that may speak to his state of mind. or not....

I like Mayfield (when he's not making egregious errors), but he's best as a bottom pairing d-man. Most likely with this pretty bad UFA market someone is giving him 4M+ a year. Lou should not touch that - Even if he moves Bailey.

And even if he can move Bailey that would give the Isles about 10M in cap space - To....

-Resign Engvall
-Resign Parise
-Resign Wahlstrom
-Replace Mayfield
-Find a backup goalie
-Add another NHL/vet D-man so we don't have to see 1-2 AHLers in over their head next season.

...And this would just be to keep things roughly the same. Not sure where any substantial improvement would come from.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I don't know why we are bringing Lane back but yet another year of a mediocre powerplay and with above average team limping into the playoffs followed by a 1st round elimination.

At least we finally can get rid of Josh Vanilla Thunder Bailey.

Which competent head coach is going to accept a job in a place where making the playoffs in your rookie year gets you fired?

Reactions: JKP and LeapOnOver

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Which competent head coach is going to accept a job in a place where making the playoffs in your rookie year gets you fired?
I get your point but Lou did fire Barry Trotz who got canned despite back to back Conference finals before missing the playoffs.

Lou does Lou. He fired Larry Robinson and Jim Schoenfeld after solid playoff runs the prior year. The old man hasn’t changed much so I put nothing past him.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
One thing I heard Lou say and I fundamentally disagree with him on is that Lou thinks he has team speed. He defined team speed as not only skating ability but quick puck movement and players getting to spots. I disagree that our roster have many players with these attributes. I maintain this is one of the poorest passing teams I've seen. They don't execute the basics often enough. This lack of skill permeates all facets of our game, from D zone breakouts, headmanning the puck, our power play, and getting back on defense when we can't control the puck in the offensive zone at 5 on 5. We neither move the puck quickly enough or accurately enough to generate offense, and frankly I don't think too many of our skaters have that burst of speed needed to clear the opponent's defense or prevent odd mans back to our D zone.

One other thing Lou was forthcoming with was Bo Horvat's value, and his usage once Barzy got hurt. Lou felt that even though Horvat was on a 50 goal pace, he knows he's a 35 goal scorer when he traded for him. He also felt Horvat was overused once Barzal got hurt. He said Horvat was overused in all situations and it has a cascading effect in terms of rest, recovery, and effectiveness on his next shift.

Anyway, I don't know if this was posted here, but Lou's presser was over 30 minutes long and MSG has the video here on YouTube.

Agree
Also, guys who are fast cause defenders to either back off and give up space or try and quickly close gaps. Both can create puck movement and errors on the defense. Speed is speed, and if Lou thinks his lack of team speed, which is real is mitigated by good puck movement? What is he watching? And why on God’s green earth would he ever entertain signing Mayfield, probably the worst puck mover on the team?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

One other thing Lou was forthcoming with was Bo Horvat's value, and his usage once Barzy got hurt. Lou felt that even though Horvat was on a 50 goal pace, he knows he's a 35 goal scorer when he traded for him. He also felt Horvat was overused once Barzal got hurt. He said Horvat was overused in all situations and it has a cascading effect in terms of rest, recovery, and effectiveness on his next shift.

Anyway, I don't know if this was posted here, but Lou's presser was over 30 minutes long and MSG has the video here on YouTube.

He was referring to playing with pace. Quick, decisive puck movement up the ice, passes in stride, as a unit. That can compensate for a slower team. No, in terms of athletic ability, this isn't a fast team, but they can play faster through the aforementioned components. Agreed, they do lack the passing ability, confidence, and decisiveness to consistently execute pace. With that said, when this team keeps their feet moving N-S, they can be dangerous on the attack. They just can't finish with enough regularity (which is for me the most glaring deficit).

As for the presser as a whole. My first listen. I give him credit for his candidness. In some cases, directness. Even earlier in the season he mentioned he wants Dobson to assert himself more defensively. So he throws some direct (golden) nuggets in here and there.

Based on what I saw, I sense we will see some changes in personnel and coaching. He also is very passionate about constructing a Cup team; his body language alone exudes with that passion. I appreciate that about him, especially given how blunted and stoic he usually is.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I maintain this is one of the poorest passing teams I've seen. They don't execute the basics often enough. This lack of skill permeates all facets of our game, from D zone breakouts, headmanning the puck, our power play, and getting back on defense when we can't control the puck in the offensive zone at 5 on 5. We neither move the puck quickly enough or accurately enough to generate offense, and frankly I don't think too many of our skaters have that burst of speed needed to clear the opponent's defense or prevent odd mans back to our D zone.

Reading this, I'm reminded of, well, the playoff performance. Heck, I'm reminded of the series-clinching goal. I'm thinking about all the times where simply a two-goal lead would have been enough. The lack of these things was put on display and it really hurts, because if the guys were better at all these things, Carolina was a very beatable team.

Let's face it.... This was the year to put on your gameface and play to your full abilities. If even 75% of the boys on this team had been able to do that, I can imagine this having been a very, very exciting spring for us.

Hope springs eternal that Horvat will spend the next three seasons being a huge piece of a successful puzzle. The marbles are invested and if Lou 'n co. feel this overuse was the reason for Horvat being far less than what he could be, then it must be rectified.

If he does bounce back strong, it can mean the world in an extremely difficult conference.

At the moment, he still feels like a very Michael Peca style addition to me. Not the same circumstances, but I feel there can be a whole aura of expectations colliding with what he's actually capable of with this group of players.

Reactions: periferal and MJF

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I like Mayfield (when he's not making egregious errors), but he's best as a bottom pairing d-man. Most likely with this pretty bad UFA market someone is giving him 4M+ a year. Lou should not touch that - Even if he moves Bailey.

I wouldn't put it past Lou to dock him on a deal for 3.3 MM per - but over something like 6 years.

Something like the Cizikas contract.

And even if he can move Bailey that would give the Isles about 10M in cap space - To....

-Resign Engvall
-Resign Parise
-Resign Wahlstrom
-Replace Mayfield
-Find a backup goalie
-Add another NHL/vet D-man so we don't have to see 1-2 AHLers in over their head next season.

That's a lot of stuff on the to-do list.

Too much. And just to keep that status quo.

One of the biggest losses of last season was not being able to figure out what we really have in Wahlstrom. Would have been highly beneficial to know what he is. 7 goals in what, 35 games, was not exactly the expected rate of production we had all surely hoped to see out of him. He was off to a career high in points, but not a career high for PPG pace.

And he was in his 3rd season of NHL action.

Dunno if the team will go outside of the organization for more depth Dmen. Bolduc is in the pecking order. Hutton was re-signed to 3(!) years last summer. Aho and Cholowski will be on the tail end of 2-year contracts. Salo is still there. They added the two NCAA guys last spring. Krygier is on an AHL contract, but if he's good, then that can be upgraded. Sevigny is still in the picture on the farm.

So, for the Isles, it's either Mayfield or a comprable being (re-)signed.

And while we do hope that Engvall and Parise stick around, Fasching was re-upped and Holmstrom could be understood as in line for more responsibility. I mean, we've gotta hope that he's ready for a bigger piece of the responsibility pie.

I'd add that in Durandeau and MacLean, it feels like we've got internal answers for the 4th line. Heck, even Koivula has another year on his contract.

...And this would just be to keep things roughly the same. Not sure where any substantial improvement would come from.

I think as long as Lou is the GM here, the belief will be that the men in the locker room have it in them to take the necessary steps towards improvement.

And the fanbase will have to hope he's right, season for season.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

-Resign Engvall
-Resign Parise
-Resign Wahlstrom
-Replace Mayfield
-Find a backup goalie

If you're looking at us starting with only 5mil in cap space, I have to assume you're looking at the 20 man roster that's on capfriendly that has about 5.3 mil in cap space. Dropping Bailey and then adding 6 NHL players would put you at 25 players. And then you're wanting to add players on top of that, but not subtracting any cap for the players that have to be removed from the roster. Of course it's gonna look bleak that way.

Just getting the 25 man roster down to 23 should free up at least 1.9m. So, with 12.2 mil, let's take a look:

-Resign Parise: 1 mil
-Resign Wahlstrom: 1.5 mil
-Replace Mayfield: 2 mil
-Find a backup goalie: 1.5 mil
-Add another NHL/vet D-man: 1mil

That's 7 mil, leaving about 5.2 mil to add a winger upgrade (could also get that up to 6.3m by running 22 man roster). If we are looking to upgrade the wingers, then it doesn't make sense to bring Engvall back unless we can dump another winger, so no need to include him. Otherwise you're looking at trying to fit 7 wings (New Guy, Barzal, Lee, Palmieri, Engvall, Parise and Wahlstrom) into the 6 winger spots in the top 9. If you are looking at upgrading at center then a trade of a center would be necessary anyway, freeing up that salary. If you're looking to upgrade at D, then you don't need to worry about replacing Mayfield anymore, so you have 7.2mil to do so if it's a big upgrade or around 3.5-4.5 mil for a smaller upgrade and still bring back Engvall.

Or even if we bring back both Engvall and Mayfield (don't know what they're looking for, but I figure 7.2 mil has to be at least close, so with some creativity this is an option). Then look for improvement in season by maybe Dobson bouncing back from a poor season, maybe Wahlstrom producing more than 7 goals, maybe Horvat and Barzal developing some chemistry by playing together for more than 6 games at a time, maybe Romanov playing better when he isn't playing through an injury that requires surgery, maybe one of Bolduc/Holmstrom taking the next step, maybe Lambert having a full season plus playoffs of head coach experience, etc. Then look to make trades during the season to address holes.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He was referring to playing with pace. Quick, decisive puck movement up the ice, passes in stride, as a unit. That can compensate for a slower team. No, in terms of athletic ability, this isn't a fast team, but they can play faster through the aforementioned components. Agreed, they do lack the passing ability, confidence, and decisiveness to consistently execute pace. With that said, when this team keeps their feet moving N-S, they can be dangerous on the attack. They just can't finish with enough regularity (which is for me the most glaring deficit).
The Isles generate their offense off the forecheck. I can't expect these players to suddenly start generating their offense off the rush. It just isn't in them. They can move their feet all they want but they don't have the tools in their toolbox to do this with regularity.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The Isles generate their offense off the forecheck. I can't expect these players to suddenly start generating their offense off the rush. It just isn't in them. They can move their feet all they want but they don't have the tools in their toolbox to do this with regularity.

Barzal to DeBrincat off the rush makes me feel things.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
The lack of scoring off the rush to me is more about the passing skills rather than skating skills. The Isles just don’t score off those tic tac toe passing plays that the good teams do.

Reactions: MarsTBOW and MJF

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
The lack of scoring off the rush to me is more about the passing skills rather than skating skills. The Isles just don’t score off those tic tac toe passing plays that the good teams do.

Yes and they seem to telegraph who they are passing it to. This is why teams like the Canes turn us over like Mad.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Agreed, though they can generate offense through the rush; we’ve seen so much (as a secondary means).

To forecheck effectively, they need to play with pace to pressure/retrieve pucks. Basically, this team needs to keep their feet moving N-S to be successful. I suspect that wears them down though.

Reactions: MJF

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Not sure if this is the best place, but Trotz is on Bob McCown today if anyone is interested in listening to the old coach's thoughts on being a GM. Not much Isles stuff, but interesting to hear his thoughts on his team and being a GM.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Agreed, though they can generate offense through the rush; we’ve seen so much (as a secondary means).

To forecheck effectively, they need to play with pace to pressure/retrieve pucks. Basically, this team needs to keep their feet moving N-S to be successful. I suspect that wears them down though.
Lou specifically spoke about how much the 4th line means to the team and then cited how well they played in game 2.

I get that they are extremely important to the success of the Isles in the playoffs, but how can we expect that group to play the way they do, do it consistently and healthily over 82 games and then bring it to another level in the playoffs?

It's such a dangerous proposition that Lou seemingly doesn't believe in the regular season.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Lou specifically spoke about how much the 4th line means to the team and then cited how well they played in game 2.

I get that they are extremely important to the success of the Isles in the playoffs, but how can we expect that group to play the way they do, do it consistently and healthily over 82 games and then bring it to another level in the playoffs?

It's such a dangerous proposition that Lou seemingly doesn't believe in the regular season.

The team basically needs 5 forward lines.

One will have to be interchangeable with our 4th line.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The team basically needs 5 forward lines.

One will have to be interchangeable with our 4th line.

Lol right, save the "4th Line" for the playoffs and cycle in Johnston, Otto, etc during the regular season.

Meanwhile, you have 3 mil sitting in the press box.

Listen, I f***ing love those 3 guys, but its flawed roster building logic.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

-Resign Engvall
-Resign Parise
-Resign Wahlstrom
-Replace Mayfield
-Find a backup goalie

I agree about Mayfield. He's a solid 3rd pairing player. But some team out there will pay him as a second pairing and considering he's made a relatively low salary his entire career and he's 30, he'd be an idiot not to cash out the one chance he gets. If we weren't pressed up against a flat cap I'd be ok overpaying him a little bit since we don't have any better options, but that's not our current situation. He's got to go and I wish him the best of luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad