GDT: Lame Day Thread: 12/17/14 - Minnesota vs Boston - 7 CT, 3 EET - NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
The wild played really well, just couldn't get the puck luck, they will progress back to the mean. There's no sense in complaining about anything. Mike Yeo knows more about hockey than us he's going to get things turned around. A lot of good signs lately. Wild have so much leadership and young talent. They have games in hand too. They did get a point tonight. And the top four D has barely played together plus Backstrom is fighting the flu and guys are banged up. They are missing a heart and soul guy in Cooke.

Frankly I think the team has already won the Stanley Cup of moral victories.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Russo

Yeo on 5on3: It’s not a personnel question, it’s not an x’s and o’s thing. It’s just the mentality that we went out with. #mnwild

You're killing me, Yeo. That is the answer of someone who has no solution, no care to fix it, and no sense of urgency.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
I hear Vanek got torn into postgame on NBCSN. One glaring play I remember from being at the game tonight. 2nd period, Parise gets a break out pass and if Vanek hustles it's a 2 on 1 and it was like I could hear Parise thinking "soooooo are we gonna turn this into a 2 on 1 or not?"

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Russo

You're killing me, Yeo. That is the answer of someone who has no solution, no care to fix it, and no sense of urgency.

Not that it's all Koivu's fault, but since we're on the topic kind of... If I see him pass up another wide open shot or wide open net even, I'm going to lose it.

Shoot the damn puck Mikko!

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
A good game? I'll be totally honest, I just don't see him out there. He does almost nothing to draw the eye.

I don't see him doing what made him successful last year. He's not getting himself in good position to receive passes, he's not winning board battles, etc.

There's plenty to blame for what's going on with this team, I just think that Pommers has largely escaped criticism, and I don't quite understand why.

Season wide, absolutely he should take some criticism .... I don't know though, I saw him quite a few times this game. That's not even counting his lucky goal either.

Further: This was a well played game all in all. Aside from the PP and a guy with a name starting with V, I don't have much to complain about. Great goaltending and some unlucky pipes aside, should have had 2 points

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
I hear Vanek got torn into postgame on NBCSN. One glaring play I remember from being at the game tonight. 2nd period, Parise gets a break out pass and if Vanek hustles it's a 2 on 1 and it was like I could hear Parise thinking "soooooo are we gonna turn this into a 2 on 1 or not?"

Yeah lets blame Vanek and justify it with Milbury quotes,give me a break,he has 18 points and is not the reason the team is under performing.If you want to call people out there are a few more suitable people; Coyle,cannot finish and wtf is he doing on the top pp unit?Granlund does not shoot and looks scared when he does face offs not good enough for a top line C.Haula,his occasional flashes of speed cannot hide the fact that he often looks out of his depth.The goaltending has also been mediocre at best.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Yeah lets blame Vanek and justify it with Milbury quotes,give me a break,he has 18 points and is not the reason the team is under performing.If you want to call people out there are a few more suitable people; Coyle,cannot finish and wtf is he doing on the top pp unit?Granlund does not shoot and looks scared when he does face offs not good enough for a top line C.Haula,his occasional flashes of speed cannot hide the fact that he often looks out of his depth.The goaltending has also been mediocre at best.

Where you been? People have been calling out all of those players for the past 10 games or more.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
How does Coyle on the #1 pp unit make any sense?

I don't care if it makes sense or doesn't make sense. I'm not the coach, and I don't have the energy, time or inclination to give a **** who is out there.
But if you are looking for insightful quotes in a postgame presser, you're looking in the wrong place. 90-95% of all postgame quotes fall into one of two catagories, generic or emotional. It's why they are so easily parodied in other media.
As much as Jarick wants to dismiss it, the point we got does matter. But with this place, every game a scapegoat is needed, be it Yeo, Coyle, Koivu or whoever is in goal. It just is so beyond old reading the same people *****ing about the same stuff, every game no matter the result of the game.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Do we need scoring? Or better goalies? When was the last time we played a game that our goaltender outplayed the other goalie, or out and out stole a game for us?

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
I don't care if it makes sense or doesn't make sense. I'm not the coach, and I don't have the energy, time or inclination to give a **** who is out there.
But if you are looking for insightful quotes in a postgame presser, you're looking in the wrong place. 90-95% of all postgame quotes fall into one of two catagories, generic or emotional. It's why they are so easily parodied in other media.
As much as Jarick wants to dismiss it, the point we got does matter. But with this place, every game a scapegoat is needed, be it Yeo, Coyle, Koivu or whoever is in goal. It just is so beyond old reading the same people *****ing about the same stuff, every game no matter the result of the game.

I agree about the pressers and I don't pay any attention to them sometimes I'll turn the sound down dim the lights and try to get the presser to sync up with Dark Side of the Moon,never works ******* Yeo!

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
It was crystal clear after tonight’s 3-2 overtime loss to Boston that frustration is consuming the Wild locker room.

It has been crawling along for a month now, painstakingly chasing eighth in the conference from the outside just like it chases most hockey games.

It has been a month now since the Wild has won consecutive games. Tonight, it lost consecutive games for the first time since Nov. 8 and 11 and is a mediocre 5-5-2 in its past 12 and a yucky 2-2-2 in its past six at home. I think that's the definition of middling.
Zach Parise, who has voiced anger lately with the way the team has lacked excitement in its game, could barely get words out after the game. His simple message was the Wild needs to stop losing.

Yeo said, “I didn’t like out 5-on-3. We scored the game before (he’s talking the Anaheim 5-on-3 goal) and we came back and I thought we had a different mindset to this one. It’s not a personnel question, it’s not an x’s and o’s thing. It’s just the mentality that we went out with.”

Yeah, but it’s the same personnel coming out with this supposed mentality, so…

Like I said, this was a game the Wild played well for the most part. The second, the Bruins couldn’t come close to contain Minnesota and the Bruins admitted how the Wild took it to them.

But, when you’re 5-5-2 in the past 12 and absolutely average lately at home, almost isn’t good enough when you’re on the outside looking in and there’s obviously problems surrounding this team right now.

There’s just not a good feel at all. Of course, there wasn’t a good feel last December either and the Wild completely turning things around.

Middling Wild continues to tread water, and frustration has officially set in

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Maybe Cooke is the catalyst to the whole thing. Seems doubtful but we haven't looked that same since he's been out.

Right now when we score 3+ we also allow 3+ and when we allow <2 we can't score.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Maybe Cooke is the catalyst to the whole thing. Seems doubtful but we haven't looked that same since he's been out.

Right now when we score 3+ we also allow 3+ and when we allow <2 we can't score.

Well Cooke is like Parise in the sense that he always actually tries. Always has energy, never takes a shift off.

It doesn't hurt to have more players like that.

slovakia18

English? I can't.
Jan 7, 2012
austria/swiss
i read "vanek turnovers, Vanek play bad" and so on, but nobody cares wen parise make a "big" turnovr(Suter saved him).
Vanek is Vanek all the years, in the end he hase 50-60 Points what all you want from him?Crosby Stats? Yes i want it too but its not possible.
Now he have 4 Goals , i think 20-25 in the end and that is good.Wen i saw the PP with Parise-Koivo and Pominville i ask me why all talk about vanek, they play a 5 vs 3 like an junior hockey team against NHL team!

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
i read "vanek turnovers, Vanek play bad" and so on, but nobody cares wen parise make a "big" turnovr(Suter saved him).
Vanek is Vanek all the years, in the end he hase 50-60 Points what all you want from him?Crosby Stats? Yes i want it too but its not possible.
Now he have 4 Goals , i think 20-25 in the end and that is good.Wen i saw the PP with Parise-Koivo and Pominville i ask me why all talk about vanek, they play a 5 vs 3 like an junior hockey team against NHL team!

Believe me, no one is letting our PP off the hook except for Yeo.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Believe me, no one is letting our PP off the hook except for Yeo.

Which should tell you a lot about the head coach IMO. He was quoted either by Russo or in a Wild TV thing that when he first took the coaching job he deferred to the veterans because he never played in the NHL and they obviously were. He felt intimidated. And then he slowly started taking the reigns and felt more confident telling them what to do or punishing them if they jacked something up.

It appears that was smoke and mirrors when it comes to the PP if anything. How you can go practically into December and not make the most obvious change in personnel on the top line is just freaking staggering.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Which should tell you a lot about the head coach IMO. He was quoted either by Russo or in a Wild TV thing that when he first took the coaching job he deferred to the veterans because he never played in the NHL and they obviously were. He felt intimidated. And then he slowly started taking the reigns and felt more confident telling them what to do or punishing them if they jacked something up.

It appears that was smoke and mirrors when it comes to the PP if anything. How you can go practically into December and not make the most obvious change in personnel on the top line is just freaking staggering.

What blows my mind even more, is he hasn't even tried. It's one thing if he changes up the guys on that PP1 for a couple games and decides it didn't work. Even if he didn't give them a fair chance, he at least can say he gave them a chance. Yet, Yeo won't even do that.

I don't know how it's so obvious that it needs a personnel change, and no one has done anything about it. From Yeo on up to Leipold.

Wondering what's going on in that locker room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad