Proposal: LAK/WPG - Myers+ for Muzzin

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wondering if there is any interest from Kings fans on a deal around Myers+ for Muzzin. Jets upgrade their left side as Muzzin plugs in beside Buff. Jets could sweeten the pot a bit to make it worth it for the Kings. Myers is a UFA so they can flip him for additional assets as a rental.

What would be an ideal + for Kings fans. Guys like Lemieux, Spacek, Harkins would be on the table. As well as every pick after our 1st rounder. No dice on getting any of Vesalainen, Roslovic or any of our D prospects outside of Stanley.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Wondering if there is any interest from Kings fans on a deal around Myers+ for Muzzin. Jets upgrade their left side as Muzzin plugs in beside Buff. Jets could sweeten the pot a bit to make it worth it for the Kings. Myers is a UFA so they can flip him for additional assets as a rental.

What would be an ideal + for Kings fans. Guys like Lemieux, Spacek, Harkins would be on the table. As well as every pick after our 1st rounder. No dice on getting any of Vesalainen, Roslovic or any of our D prospects outside of Stanley.
Without knowing what the plus is, this seems really light for Muzzin.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Myers can be flipped for late 1st or 2nd & C level prospect likely. Muzzin has less then two years term, 29 yrs old would look good on our 2nd pairing. Really depends on what the plus is from the Jets.

Playing Myers on the 3rd pairing behind Buff & Trouba is a waste of his talent.....he’s a 2nd pairing RHD

Reactions: Catch22

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Pretty sure they will get offered better than Myers....i could be wrong though.

Yeah but the deal wouldn't be just Myers. It could be combo of picks and prospects included. Plus they can flip Myers for additional assets. It just depends on if what other teams would offer would top that.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
id be surprised if Myers nets anything substantial for the Kings at the TDL, but then again GMs get stupid at the TDL. The guy has been awful more than he's been good and has somehow regressed with his hockey IQ and decision making from last year. Any deal with the available parts that the OP has listed likely gets outbidded by another team for Muzzin's services especially considering he isn't simply just a TDL rental

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
As a Jets fan this makes zero sense for LA.

The premise is they trade Muzzin for a guy they can flip + expendable assets that every team has. The flip brings back a 1st + C prospect. If they wanted that package I'm sure they could just trade Muzzin for 20 other teams for a 1st (or equivalent prospect) + 2 C level pieces. All this does is make the Jets better without really giving the Kings anything that helps them going forward.

That said I'd obviously do it as a Jets fan....

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

If your offer starts with Myers than talks are done as we have no need for him as the main piece. Start with your 1st and add or we go elsewhere.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
As a Jets fan this makes zero sense for LA.

The premise is they trade Muzzin for a guy they can flip + expendable assets that every team has. The flip brings back a 1st + C prospect. If they wanted that package I'm sure they could just trade Muzzin for 20 other teams for a 1st (or equivalent prospect) + 2 C level pieces. All this does is make the Jets better without really giving the Kings anything that helps them going forward.

That said I'd obviously do it as a Jets fan....

I think you bring up a valid point that the OP missed. Myers is a fine piece to trade, he’s just an asset to be converted into futures either by the Jets or Kings. He’s a #4 Rhd who likely won’t need a big contract when he resigns with someone. The point you made that was very valid that the OP was assuming the Kings rebuild and trade Muzzin why trade him to the Jets unless we offer something more then others. Late 1st and 2-3 C level prospects or picks isn’t going to outbid others offers. Muzzin has a little less then two years term, good cap hit albeit he’s not at his peak level anymore but he’s still a good D

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
Solid prospect and a pick. LA won’t want any serious contracts or aging players beyond the deadline. The Hagelin deal was a shakeup that will ultimately tranform into deadline future assets, so don’t let that deal make you think LA will fix their issues via hockey trades.

Reactions: go4hockey

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Trade Myers yourself and come back with a better offer

Shop Myers for a late 1st or 2nd + prospect. Flip those assets or others depending on the LA ask for Muzzin.

Only Doug Wilson is San Jose is willing to take assets and immediately flip them for appreciated values.

Reactions: baronvonadam

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Shop Myers for a late 1st or 2nd + prospect. Flip those assets or others depending on the LA ask for Muzzin.

Only Doug Wilson is San Jose is willing to take assets and immediately flip them for appreciated values.
It's a conventient way to build value where there really isn't any.
It allows the OP to come up with an offer that works for them but, not for the other team.

Reactions: MisterT

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
It all depends on what Blake wants to do. If he is going for a full rebuild, he could take a deal similar to the one proposed (although there would have to be a 1st rounder involved as well from Jets). Then he can flip Myers at the TDL for more picks.

If Blake is simply retooling, it would make sense to trade Muzzin for an expiring UFA roster player that holds some value, and a young potential top 6 forward. He can then flip the roster player for a pick. This way he gets extra draft pick(s), and a young forward for next year to help without our horrible offense.

Another option is to package Muzzin in a deal for someone like Nylander or Panarin. The downside to this is that we get an elite player, but with a HIGH cap hit, which is not something we want to do if we are retooling or rebuilding.

Reactions: Keystone

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd probably offer something like Myers + 2019 2nd + Lemieux + one of Spacek/Harkins

Myers could the be flipped for more. Or you trade him straight across for less quantity and more quality. Depends on the perceived value of a 2 year UFA top 4 defenceman in the league and whether the Kings are going for a rebuild or a retool.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I'd move Myers for picks and prospects and use those pieces in a deal for Muzzin, but I wouldn't be adding the Jets 1st, or a significant prospect to the deal. Myers isn't a cap dump, and has value as a RHD.

Can see if LA is open to moving Muzzin that they could also deal him for the picks and prospects themselves.

Reactions: Hunter368

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd move Myers for picks and prospects and use those pieces in a deal for Muzzin, but I wouldn't be adding the Jets 1st, or a significant prospect to the deal. Myers isn't a cap dump, and has value as a RHD.

Can see if LA is open to moving Muzzin that they could also deal him for the picks and prospects themselves.

Yeah it all depends on how the value for Muzzin plays out and if the Kings are looking more for quality or quantity. They could end up with a 1st, 2nd and 2 or 3 decent prospects. In this deal or they trade him for a 1st and high level prospect or they deal him for someone like Nylander straight across.

Like others have said we could also just deal Myers ourselves and then use that return to boost the deal for Muzzin. Either way I think k it nets the same value. We just do a bit more of the work in moving Myers.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I'd probably offer something like Myers + 2019 2nd + Lemieux + one of Spacek/Harkins

Myers could the be flipped for more. Or you trade him straight across for less quantity and more quality. Depends on the perceived value of a 2 year UFA top 4 defenceman in the league and whether the Kings are going for a rebuild or a retool.

I would do that from the Jets perspective which probably means the Kings wouldn’t.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
As a Jets fan I can’t imagine the Myers being the main piece for Muzzin. Myers is a #4 D-man at this point and IMO is at the top of the list for next years "someone is going to massively overpay him in the UFA market and I really hope it isn’t us" award. Someone is going to give him 5+ million in free agency and he’ll be on the bottom pair not long into the contract.

Myers would be an ok pickup for a team that needs a second pair RHD this year, but that isn’t where the Kings are at. Even if the idea is that the Kings flip him at the deadline, I think Muzzin can get them something a lot more substantial.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad