Proposal: LAK/TOR

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
So basically u think Blake should sell for scraps that was offered. Ur joking Zaizsev has absolutely no value. Its leaf media overvaluing as usual. Im being neutral on this. Typical leaf fans want good players for scraps. There is absolutely no value in this deal. U have to give quality to get quality. So ur basically saying they shud do it because its Toronto
Explain to me then, HOW zaitsev has no value. All I see is bashing leaf players because they are leaf players. I understand that term is long on zaits contract. If you'd like to use that as a point, go ahead. The dollar value is fine, and zaitsev is quite good at what he does. Defensive d-Men like zaitsev has become have plenty of value around the league.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Explain to me then, HOW zaitsev has no value. All I see is bashing leaf players because they are leaf players. I understand that term is long on zaits contract. If you'd like to use that as a point, go ahead. The dollar value is fine, and zaitsev is quite good at what he does. Defensive d-Men like zaitsev has become have plenty of value around the league.

Well he has no value cause he is a #6 and has a long term contract that pays him way way more than he brings. It would cost you assets to be able to move him. Nobody will give you anything for that type of player.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Zaitsev has become the most underrated player in the NHL, but LA says no. ...not a good deal for them

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010

Here's how Zaitsev has NO value to the Kings:

1 - We are retooling/rebuilding and Zaitsev doesnt fit that mold

2 - We are going to shed salary, not target players with term left on sizeable deals (refer to LA trading a young Pearson who had term for a older pending UFA in Hagelin)

3 - If he's a trade chip for the Leafs in the midst of their SC push, why would he be useful to anyone else in theirs?

4 - IF Zaitsev, a defensive d-men has plenty of value, why would you not keep him yourself? Which only brings more of a spotlight to bullet point 3

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
If Toronto wants to do something else for an even better defenseman on the Kings roster, we are listening. Probably involves Liljagren, Dermott, and Nylander to get the conversation started though.
Not a conversation i wish to have.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
The thought of Doughty is a pipe dream. Leafs fans won't want to pay the cost to acquire (including me), and Doughty's 11 million in cap makes it a no go anyways.
as much as i agree with u in principal there are ways to make up the cap Marleau Kadri Nylander ( 2 of the 3 makes up the cap just saying) or retention ( not that i think la would retain) All pipe dreams but cap is not a reason to say its a no go to me. It would be more getting drew who is happy in cali to move to media hell ( i am not taking a shot just being honest his life there would not be the same) This is what wouldstop the deal not the cap

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
as much as i agree with u in principal there are ways to make up the cap Marleau Kadri Nylander ( 2 of the 3 makes up the cap just saying) or retention ( not that i think la would retain) All pipe dreams but cap is not a reason to say its a no go to me. It would be more getting drew who is happy in cali to move to media hell ( i am not taking a shot just being honest his life there would not be the same) This is what wouldstop the deal not the cap
Oh i agree, he made his feelings known about playing in Toronto,

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
So a stat is flawed just because it doesn't perfectly describe every aspect of the game? By that argument goals are a flawed stat, unless you're prepared to tell me that Maxime Lajoie is better than Roman Josi, John Carlson, and Victor Hedman.

It’s extremely flawed when you use it to compare two players on completely different teams. But again any stat that paints Pouliot and MDZ in a positive light has an issue.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
That's what im basically saying
Lijegren+1st.

I think Muzzin might fetch that, not sure if Martinez would. I could see Martinez fetching a top 10 protected first this year and a second next year, and a two years or less salary dump for contract purposes.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
If Toronto wants to do something else for an even better defenseman on the Kings roster, we are listening. Probably involves Liljagren, Dermott, and Nylander to get the conversation started though.
if were talking about Drew Doughty...

2019 1st
Timothy Liljagren
Gardiner
Johnsson
Dmytro Timashov
2019 2nd

? This might be low but the Leafs are not getting rid of Dermott or Nylander anyone. Dermott is our 2LD of the future, possibly 1LD if we ever put Reilly on RD and Nylander wont be traded anymore.

I think that although we have the pieces to get him, I don't think our management would be comfortable giving up the necessary pieces

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012

2019 1st
Timothy Liljagren
Gardiner
Johnsson
Dmytro Timashov
2019 2nd

? This might be low but the Leafs are not getting rid of Dermott or Nylander anyone. Dermott is our 2LD of the future, possibly 1LD if we ever put Reilly on RD and Nylander wont be traded anymore.

I think that although we have the pieces to get him, I don't think our management would be comfortable giving up the necessary pieces

For Doughty it would have to be Nylander, Zaitsev ++ for salary purposes.

Also Kings aren't trying to move Doughty.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017

2019 1st
Timothy Liljagren
Gardiner
Johnsson
Dmytro Timashov
2019 2nd

yea, lets not get rid of our 2ld for the future for a hof dman lol.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

2019 1st
Timothy Liljagren
Gardiner
Johnsson
Dmytro Timashov
2019 2nd

These are the only things to get excited about in your proposal:

Liljagren
2019 1st

A late 2nd rounder isn't that big a deal. Gardiner and Johnsson are spare parts. I think you would have to add one more quality player (Kapanen), and another 1st round pick in 2020 to keep the Kings talking, and that may be too low.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

2019 1st
Timothy Liljagren
Gardiner
Johnsson
Dmytro Timashov
2019 2nd

Well obviously, this is a garbage proposal, so LA would laugh at it and it would never happen. So there's as little point in posting it, as there is the Nylander, Dermott, Liljegren one, isn't there?

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
yea, lets not get rid of our 2ld for the future for a hof dman lol.
I only say that because I feel Rielly is a true #1 LD and when he continues to grow I feel will be one of the best DMen in the league. I think dermott has 1st pairing LD potential on a lot of other teams, but I just dont think he will be better than reilly simply because I feel reilly will be an outstanding player in the future

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I know some folks are saying it's a laughable proposal cause the only two qualities assets are Liljegren and 1st. Well there is a more to the trade than that.
The big benefit would be the Kings would get 11m of cap relief starting next year and for eight more years. Some of those assets in the trade and 11m to spend would be a great for the Kings. Leafs and virtually no contending team can afford to trade for a big cap hit without giving a big cap hit in return. Leafs couldn't afford Doughty, and not sure if they would really want to take on a massive contract for a 30 year old next year.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I know some folks are saying it's a laughable proposal cause the only two qualities assets are Liljegren and 1st. Well there is a more to the trade than that.
The big benefit would be the Kings would get 11m of cap relief starting next year and for eight more years. Some of those assets in the trade and 11m to spend would be a great for the Kings. Leafs and virtually no contending team can afford to trade for a big cap hit without giving a big cap hit in return. Leafs couldn't afford Doughty, and not sure if they would really want to take on a massive contract for a 30 year old next year.

You dont trade a player of Doughtys caliber for cap relief, you trade second tier players and fillers. The only reasons you trade Doughty is if he wants out or you get an offer too good to refuse.

Reactions: Reaper45

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
You dont trade a player of Doughtys caliber for cap relief, you trade second tier players and fillers. The only reasons you trade Doughty is if he wants out or you get an offer too good to refuse.

Well, I question that logic. Doughty is has been great for years. It's whether or not is worthy of his 11m X 8 years in the future.
We can't really have a logical debate about his till the spring of 2027.
Kings are likely out of the playoffs this year. They could have traded for Doughty and got good futures in return. Plus maybe California loving Doughty would have signed as a King in summer 2019. They would better current scenario. Admitting it's hard to sell that to your players and your fans...who want to win now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad