Confirmed Trade: [LAK/TOR] Jake Muzzin for 2019 1st round pick, Sean Durzi, and Carl Grundstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Gauthier has never played in the Leafs top six. He's only played on the 4th line.
Sorry I meant Frederic Gaudreau. He played in the top 6 when RyJo went down no? I don't think it's fair to compare Nashvilles defense to Pittsburgh defense that playoff run when it was Crosby-Malkin vs Gaudreau-Fischer as the top 6 centers.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Guessing the cost of a RD was too much. Not a bad pick up, will improve that 2nd pairing by bumping down for sure.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
I think this trade is great for both teams. Grundstrom is good but we’re dealing from a position of strength.

I was hoping we’d get muzzin. It’s interesting that he spent his junior hockey career with the Soo and was captain... Dubas was there and probably knows him

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Not when it involves he Leafs. Pre-Leafs trade is what you need to look at. It's been shown time and time again people will change their ranking once they pull on the blue and white

Why are the Leafs relevant in that thread? It’s a thread about Muzzin’s value. His rank as a player and his value in a trade are the pretty much same as they are in this one. The only big difference that I see is a vocal segment who insist he is a top pairing guy.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
What does this mean for the Leafs cap space going forward?

From my understanding it was all but decided that Gardiner was gone as they needed every cent for Matthews/Marner/Kap?

Where is the extra $4M going to come from?

(Not trolling, actually curious. This was a very good trade for the Leafs value wise)

Hainsey and Gardiner likely walk which is a combined 7 million. Plus the cap space they have. Keeping all but the D the same, theyd be 2 million over.

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 10.21.54 PM.png

A trade involving Zaitsev or Brown moving out should get them below.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Actually, they don't face similar quality of competition. I posted about that last week. Muzzin has been 4th in QoC among defensemen on the team this season. It's noticeably lower than his usual defense partner, Martinez. Are you carrying your pairing when you face lower quality competition? He did have noticeably higher QoC than his partners the two previous years, but he also played a lot worse. It seems like getting easier minutes this year has really benefited him (i.e. he's the one benefiting, not Doughty)

You're right. I shouldn't have called them his career numbers. I meant that those are his stats since 2014-15, his first regular season as a top-4 defenseman. He was a +18 and a +11 in his rookie and sophomore years in 2012-13 and 2013-14, respectively, both played on the 3rd pairing. You were right to correct me, but I don't think that those seasons are really relevant to discussion of whether he's a top-4 (let alone, top pairing) defenseman.

Muzzin contributed to only one Cup win.

muzzin and Martinez have pretty much identical qoc's this year, and the only reason it's even that tick lower is because his qoc went down with a lesser partner when Martinez was injured.

and of course muzzin has performed much better than Martinez in that similar usage.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
LMAO. So when our goalie saves a game for us that we should have lost the Leafs outplayed us, but when the Leafs’ goalie saves a game for them that they should have lost they still outplayed us somehow because durr yay Toronto?

In both games the team that won was outplayed by the team that lost (with the exception of the goalies who stole the two games for their respective teams.) Only a complete delusional homer could watch those games and think his team was the better in both of them.

You should go back and check the stats on that second game. Freddy stood on his head in the final few minutes while the Bolts pushed but the Leafs were the better team for the majority of the game. At worst it was a fairly even game.

Reactions: Mork

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Hainsey and Gardiner likely walk which is a combined 7 million. Plus the cap space they have. Keeping all but the D the same, theyd be 2 million over.

View attachment 180389

A trade involving Zaitsev or Brown moving out should get them below.

This makes sense, potentially a little light on Kapannen/Johnsson new contracts but realistic. Is this including Kessel's retained salary as well?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
We got measurably better on the backend for 1.5 years and didn't give up any top prospects to do so.

That 1st is gonna be late anyways.. great job KD.

4M in cap left.. what's next?

This is the kind if stuff I don’t get. From your own Boards poll, you gave up the #3 and #5 prospects you have. Plus the best draft pick you have. From a futures perspective, that half of your top 6 assets.

How is that not giving up “any top prospects”? Sandin was drafted at 29— a “top” prospect — yet the late first isn’t worth anything?

I mean what? How? Good Lord man

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Nuts! Was really looking forward to Grundstrom. Oh well, didn't want to lose Liljegren or Sandin so I guess I can live with it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Good on both sides. I like how this was deal put together. Leafs just got a really good D, Kings got a nice haul on a guy they weren’t keeping.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
The timing is very key.

It's going to take a bit for him to adjust to a new system so he should have that down by the time the playoffs begin. Smart move.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
What’s this “risk” for the kings you keep talking about like they got taken to the cleaners? Did they risk their playoff chances in the next two years? Hardly, did they increase they’re chances of higher picks for themselves? Absolutely. Did they get some prospects and a pick to do that? Yes. You do understand that every single NHL player and bust started as a pick or prospect right? I understand your need to ram this down all the “haters” throats, but you’re trying way to hard here. It’s a solid deal for both teams and I think you know that.

The risk is the prospects not panning out. Duh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia