Confirmed Trade: [LAK/TOR] Jake Muzzin for 2019 1st round pick, Sean Durzi, and Carl Grundstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
Not when it involves he Leafs. Pre-Leafs trade is what you need to look at. It's been shown time and time again people will change their ranking once they pull on the blue and white

Poor Leaf fans always getting bullied....

I mean its not like every Leaf prospect is talked up as a top flight prospect until they get traded away and were all of a sudden have certain limitations, and were the right prospect(s) to have traded away...every time

As for the trade I think it’s pretty fair. #2/3 Dman for a 1st + good prospect + lottery ticket boom/bust prospect

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
A steal? I would not say that.

A trade that gives them a real shot but they still need more to compete with the top contenders like Tampa.

If the Bruins don't make a move for a 2nd line winger it certainly puts them ahead of Boston on paper. Toronto fans should be wanting more still.

1. We outplayed TB is both games we've played this year.
2. The Leafs are always ahead of Boston on paper.
3. I do want more.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
He says that he can do it, apparently.

However, he never did it in his professional or junior career AFAIK. I don't think it is a great idea.

My guess is they will try Rielly at RHD first, and see from there.
That's what I figured. Reilly has done it ,with less capable D partner than Muzzin.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Of course Hainsey is better as the Leafs #4. Heck he would be even better on the bottom pair. That doesn't mean the defense is good.

Oh come on. Crosby and Malkin are generational centers. I absolutely hate the word generational but Crosby and Malkin are generational. Matthews and Tavares are franchise centers, but they aren't generational. That's a completely different situation. I also believe that a rested Matt Murray helped them out BIG TIME. Rested goalies typically do really well in the playoffs.
Still would you not agree that Pittsburgh's defense in 2017 was not as good compared to what Nashville had in the Stanley Cup Final and they still won with Hainsey playing a big role.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
There is a great greater chance that the asssets acquired by the kings ammount to nothing of value compared to the value of the asset they sold.

consider this

LA got Muzzin for literally nothing back in 2009
Muzzin managed to contribute to two Stanley Cup wins and close to 500GP
now Muzzin helped us pluck 3 prospects out of Toronto that might add up to nothing value

Muzzin is now a Leaf, Toronto better start bringing in some cups by next year, otherwise there's a great greater chance that all the assets given up by the Leafs ammount to nothing of value for the Leafs

Reactions: crassbonanza

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
McDonough and hedman vs Reilly and muzzin . It's not even close. It's an upgrade but no way leafs beat Tampa. Leafs need more help back there if they want to get rid of 1967 chant.
Hedman has played less than 3% of his even strength ice time with McDonough this year....

Guessing you dont actually watch too much hockey.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
Toronto paid a pretty penny but they got a really fine player. Muzzin's not perfect but hes a great player. I think its a really good deal for both teams. Thanks for the memories Muzz.

Reactions: ToneDog

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Maybe that's something Dubas tried to do and Blake said the 1st round pick could not be conditional. In the end this trade shows that Dubas is willing to go for it which is a lot more than we can say about Lou Lamoreillo and the trades he made prior to the deadline in his 3 years as the Leafs GM.

Blake would have to be pretty stupid for that to be a dealbreaker. Like I said the odds of that pick winning a lottery is like 1 in 1000 at best(that assuming about a 3% chance of missing the playoffs, and then a 3% chance at the lotteries). If Blake wouldn't accept say an extra 5th as compensation to protect for the 1 in 1000 chance then he's an idiot. Unless Dubas wasn't offering that, in which case I said I would have made sure I protected that, if it cost me an extra 5th to do so.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
There still a slight possibility that leafs slip and don't even make the playoffs. That first round pick might be gold to the kings when this is all said and done. The races are so tight any slip it's gonna be Blake saying with 15th pick kings select....
That is one possibility. Unlikely, but not mathematically impossible.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think it's a fair deal that doesn't make or break our roster. Sure you have to give to get.. but how many prospects are you going to sit on really and how long are they going to wait? They have a legitimate show here to be aggressive.. sure if we can't find a taker for Zaitsev we lose Gardiner. Guess what then you roll with Rielly/Muzzin/Sandin down your left side.. Personally, I think we're going to get Pesce or Gudas still they're a tier below

I think it’s a fair deal too. Leafs got a really good player, and the Kings got 3 good futures.

My comments were pointed towards the extremes— posters trying to downgrade Muzzin; Leaf fan trying to pretend they didn’t give up 3 good futures.

It’s both.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Still would you not agree that Pittsburgh's defense in 2017 was not as good compared to what Nashville had in the Stanley Cup Final and they still won with Hainsey playing a big role.
Have 2 generational centers and they cover up a lot of holes on your team. Those guys can win a series on their own. Nashville had Mike Fischer as their 2nd line center in that playoff run. Does that mean that your center core is "good" with RyJo and Fischer as your top 6 centers? I don't think so. Having a world class goalie, 2 #1 dmen, 2 #2 dmen, and a star winger helps cover the weak center core, but even that wasn't enough since they lost.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
hainsey literally played top pair on the 2nd last cup team.

and Dermott is the #4, anyways.
Cody Eakin was the #2 center on the Stanley Cup Finalist. Clearly there is no issue with Eakin as your #2 center. The post I originally responded to had Dermott on the bottom pair.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
God damn

Not sure how I feel about this one... Grundstrom looks promising, and a 1st round pick is a 1st round pick.

Leafs have plenty of depth for D: Sandin, Liljegren, Rosen, etc....

Leafs have plenty of forwards in the farm team that play like Grundstrom

In the last 10 years; everyone drafted in the 1st round did not end playing significant amount of NHL games unless they were drafted in the top 10

I think Leafs are going to be fine

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
consider this

LA got Muzzin for literally nothing back in 2009
Muzzin managed to contribute to two Stanley Cup wins and close to 500GP
now Muzzin helped us pluck 3 prospects out of Toronto that might add up to nothing value

Muzzin is now a Leaf, Toronto better start bringing in some cups by next year, otherwise there's a great greater chance that all the assets given up by the Leafs ammount to nothing of value for the Leafs
Yeah, we had our success with Muzzin and the time for that is now over. I got to watch the Kings win two cups and there was a point in time when I thought that might not ever happen. Looking forward to creating a new identity and selling more of our vets. Muzzin is very good and Leafs fans should be happy, just like as a Kings fan I'm happy that the team is finally starting to sell and rebuild. As for the prospects potentially not amounting to anything. Uhhh, isn't that how trades work? We're not competitive, we're trading for future potential not a bona fide NHLer. Just kinda of annoying to see some of the responses, but most have been reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->