Confirmed Trade: [LAK/PIT] Tanner Pearson for Carl Hagelin (6.25% retained)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've never seen a fan base trash an ex player as much as kings fans are doing in this thread about Pearson.

I hope this has a James Neal type of explosion without the stupid stuff, just out of spite.

Oilers fans trashed Schultz way worse.

I think the optimistic outlook for Pearson is him clicking with one of Crosby or Malkin and ending up a 25 goal, 50 point player that brings good play away from the puck. I think more realistically is that he'll be around a 20 goal, 40 point player that still bring those assets away from the puck. I'm not sure why anyone thinks Pearson is a bad player, he's just clearly not.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Not really. He's 31. Odds are hes not going to lead the Kings to any further glory. I'd rather cash in now and get an injection of youth and high picks for him than wait and maybe get some assets for him like they did/are about to do with Carter.
would you trade doughty to then? you need doughty gone with kopi if any rebuild will happen

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
uh. grats on being hockey's version of the San Francisco Giants, I guess? Let's see how many of your pink hat bandwagoners jump ship as soon as your team becomes garbage again.

Serious question... were you even alive when the Sharks came into the league? Because this is such a childish response that it's the only reason that anybody would reply with such nonsense. Grow up.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Serious question... were you even alive when the Sharks came into the league? Because this is such a childish response that it's the only reason that anybody would reply with such nonsense. Grow up.

Serious answer: I could not care less about your worthless opinion. Don't like what I post? feel free to use the ignore function. You don't get internet points by tone policing people like this.

Edit: You know what? I thought your username looked familiar. I've already had this conversation with you before. Find something better to do with your time, kthxbai.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeftHeartInSF

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
im so jealous of the pens gm, he's howie 2.0, i wish my flyers had a gm like this.

pens are so lucky to have him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
c9o5gpboffy11.jpg

JR said this in 2016, after acquiring guys like Daley and Hagelin.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
No as I feel Doughty, who is younger, will age far more gracefully and still be productive by the time a rebuild is over.
Just an opinon,

Unless you get lucky or draft a crazy player deeper down, the talent drop off is massive from finishing middle of the pack or finishing as a lottery team. A healthy quick kopi doughty will not allow it to be a lottery team imo. Not saying you should trade doughty just think it would be hard to acquire the top top end talent needed ie mcdavid echiel marner matthews laine instead its more middling prospects. Kind of like where the habs will be for a few years IMO.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Enjoy your decade plus of being a basement team while you waste the best years of the only worthwhile player your team has in Kopitar.

meh, no one stays at the bottom for a decade in this modern era

but some teams remain great seasonal teams for an entire franchise history though ;)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not going to sift through the other garbage, but I think Pearson is going to be really really good in Pitt.

He plays a very simple, effective north south game when he's at his best. Excellent forechecker and disruptor, much better vision than he'll get credit for. If Hagelin played well with Malkin, I don't see why Pearson couldn't, he just makes life simple. This year obviously he wasn't doing that and I think the ongoing question mark will be his recovery from the leg injury as it affected his speed. At worst, he's a reliable top-9 guy. not going to put extra emphasis on his struggles this year because the entire Kings team looks like they forgot hockey.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Not going to sift through the other garbage, but I think Pearson is going to be really really good in Pitt.

He plays a very simple, effective north south game when he's at his best. Excellent forechecker and disruptor, much better vision than he'll get credit for. If Hagelin played well with Malkin, I don't see why Pearson couldn't, he just makes life simple. This year obviously he wasn't doing that and I think the ongoing question mark will be his recovery from the leg injury as it affected his speed. At worst, he's a reliable top-9 guy. not going to put extra emphasis on his struggles this year because the entire Kings team looks like they forgot hockey.

If Hags is on the Kings third line, you guys will love him... again, until he touches the puck though.

He will create a lot of loose pucks with his speed and tenacious forecheck. He’s great on the PK, just don’t get too excited when he gets any short handed breakaways... nothing ever comes of that.

He’s never scored more than ten goals as a Pen, and to really put that into context, he’s spent a majority of that time with gifted player makers like Malkin and Kessel at any one time, often playing with both together.

His hands are just so bad... like fourth line AHLer bad... so you just have to resign yourself to that reality to enjoy the player he is.

He always seems to hit another gear in the second half of the season, and he rarely takes shifts off. Probably the best pure energy guy in the league.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
If Hags is on the Kings third line, you guys will love him... again, until he touches the puck though.

He will create a lot of loose pucks with his speed and tenacious forecheck. He’s great on the PK, just don’t get too excited when he gets any short handed breakaways... nothing ever comes of that.

He’s never scored more than ten goals as a Pen, and to really put that into context, he’s spent a majority of that time with gifted player makers like Malkin and Kessel at any one time, often playing with both together.

His hands are just so bad... like fourth line AHLer bad... so you just have to resign yourself to that reality to enjoy the player he is.

He always seems to hit another gear in the second half of the season, and he rarely takes shifts off. Probably the best pure energy guy in the league.

I hope so that is something we lack , hopefully they both do well in there roles , new scenery helps sometimes and thanks for the breakdown

smd333

May 2, 2012
Kings have soured on Pearson and it's kind of a salary dump while gaining speed.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Just from watching the highlights of his game, which of course can be misleading, but I did not see speed as his game. Not that he was slow, but mostly he seemed to make his bank off a nice quick release, good utilization of his size, and great vision and passing, especially working from the corners and behind the net.

He also seemed to love that slot that Washington utilizes Oshie so well on their power play, about twenty five feet in front of the net where you have to fight for position and find a shot through traffic.

Is any of what I said above accurate?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just from watching the highlights of his game, which of course can be misleading, but I did not see speed as his game. Not that he was slow, but mostly he seemed to make his bank off a nice quick release, good utilization of his size, and great vision and passing, especially working from the corners and behind the net.

He also seemed to love that slot that Washington utilizes Oshie so well on their power play, about twenty five feet in front of the net where you have to fight for position and find a shot through traffic.

Is any of what I said above accurate?

Nope, that's exactly correct. He's not 'fast', but he's a good skater, it just took a hit with a leg. He's not physical, but he's certainly not shy, and does good work on the boards and corners. He's actually really good in front of the net as well, totally correct, and before the injury was exhibiting some clutch, scoring a bunch of OT goals and late-game goals.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Nope, that's exactly correct. He's not 'fast', but he's a good skater, it just took a hit with a leg. He's not physical, but he's certainly not shy, and does good work on the boards and corners. He's actually really good in front of the net as well, totally correct, and before the injury was exhibiting some clutch, scoring a bunch of OT goals and late-game goals.

Thanks, and that is actually exactly what this team needs if he can find his game again.

People make too much out of speed. The 2015 Pens, the Chicago teams that dominated, certainly had fast skaters. But mostly the speed element is smarts. Seeing the ice, making quick intelligent passes in stride, and Pearson seems to have that kind of speed in spades. The Pens have Hornqvist but need more guys willing to do the dirty work, in front of the net, behind the net, in the corner.

He does not need to win a sprint down the ice to be the kind of speedy that this team, really any team, needs.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I hope so that is something we lack , hopefully they both do well in there roles , new scenery helps sometimes and thanks for the breakdown

It’s hard to dislike Hags unless he has the puck, so he very well may bring that energy the Kings want.

Just heard on the radio as I’m typing this that Pearson will play with Malkin tonight.

So he gets put right in Hags old spot.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
They should of traded him for younger assets I don’t see how an older hagelin helps them since they aren’t even competitive

Sideline

May 23, 2004
They should of traded him for younger assets I don’t see how an older hagelin helps them since they aren’t even competitive
They can sell Hagelin as a rental at the deadline and have 3.75MM of cap space freed up going forward. Wouldn't surprise me if they pulled a late 1st for him; he's one of the most experienced playoff guys of the last 5 or 6 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad