Confirmed Trade: [LAK/PIT] Tanner Pearson for Carl Hagelin (6.25% retained)

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
No. They are King’s fans that don’t overreact about a bad stretch of games on one of the worst teams in the league when judging a player’s career.
There is a reason why they are the worst team in the league, Pearson (and many others) are that reason. This isn’t a bad stretch of games, this has been brewing for quite a while now.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
No. They are King’s fans that don’t overreact about a bad stretch of games on one of the worst teams in the league when judging a player’s career.
Pearson isn’t a bad player he just became irrelevant and a nonfactor. His absence won’t really effect LA all that much.

LA players are so ingrained with a defense first don’t make mistakes mentality that I think creativity suffers. He is likely a 20-20-40 player at his best. He may find that again in Pitt. I still think his best asset now is front net presence and dirty work when he is on his game.

Good luck to him honestly.

Reactions: Riptide

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
There is a reason why they are the worst team in the league, Pearson (and many others) are that reason. This isn’t a bad stretch of games, this has been brewing for quite a while now.

If your team is so dependent on Tanner Pearson that he is the reason you are the worst team in the league, maybe that says more about your team than it does Pearson..

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
If your team is so dependent on Tanner Pearson that he is the reason you are the worst team in the league, maybe that says more about your team than it does Pearson..
I guess you didn’t read the ‘and many others’ part.... He is a part of the
Problem, not the only problem.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I guess you didn’t read the ‘and many others’ part.... He is a part of the
Problem, not the only problem.
No. I just don’t really get the point. People always tend to make these overreactions.

Pearson will likely be his typical 30-40 pt self with maybe a slight uptick in production since he is playing with Sid or Malkin.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
No. I just don’t really get the point. People always tend to make these overreactions.

Pearson will likely be his typical 30-40 pt self with maybe a slight uptick in production since he is playing with Sid or Malkin.
It’s not an over reaction and I’m not wishing anything but the best for Pearson, however, look at his production this year as a 2nd line player, look at his production since March of last year, it’s a problem. This is several months of poor production, not a bad stretch of games or an over reaction as you say.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
60 points? Doubt it.

40-50? Wouldn’t be surprised.

I feel like this board is ****ting super hard on Pearson when the Kings fans I actually know living in SoCal all think it is a disaster.

The trouble is the unrealistic expectations regarding production in today's NHL.

There are 434 forwards getting paid to play for NHL teams. 14 Forwards x 31 teams.

40 points last year, which is what Pearson netted despite going dry from March onward, puts Pearson with only 144 players who had more points.

2017-18 NHL Hockey Stats and League Leaders - Points - National Hockey League - ESPN

Two thirds of forwards getting paid to play in the NHL had fewer points. More actually as some players only played part of a season.

Goal scoring is similar. Only 162 players had more than Pearson's 15 goals. So only one third of the league.

2017-18 NHL Hockey Stats and League Leaders - Points - National Hockey League - ESPN

People here have a very very skewed view of what is decent production these days.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If he does that with the Kings, it will still be more than Pearson has had in two seasons.

Hagelin has 21 goals in his last 172 games.

Pearson has about double that without playing with Malkin. I’m not hating on Hags, I love Hagelin even when he doesn’t score most of the time.

Last edited:

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
I loved Hags, but would expect the 30-40 points reasonably expected from Pearson is a fair exchange.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
The Kings will say this trade was done to "shake up the team" and to "add speed" to the roster. Which are technically true, but the real reason for the trade (i believe) is that Hagelin is a UFA at the end of the year where Pearson is on the books for another 2 years after this.

It basically opens up money come July.

It makes sense for both teams. Kings get out of one of their several long term deals which opens space from the cap as well as future openings for the Kings prospects. And Pens get a little younger, a little cheaper (after this year) and little more snarl to play along side any of Crosby, Malkin, Brassard, or Sheahan.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Kinda funny it's not the first time the Pens have made a "shakeup" trade involving Hagelin and a California team. But it's a deal that seems like it could work out for both teams.

The Kings get a bit more speed and hustle, and maybe a bit more of a spark there. And they get a guy who they can trade at the deadline as a rental and have that space opened up for the coming years, where it's clear they need to do some retooling...despite a plethora of significant contracts on the books with term.

The Pens get a guy who could have the hands and goal-scoring touch to change up their roster composition a bit, and complement whichever of Crosby/Malkin who are built to elevate the production of a guy with Pearson's skillset. And if it does click reasonably well...they've got him locked in at a manageable salary for a while and don't have to worry about that aspect.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think that neither player is worth the money. Pearson's been just horrible this season. If he finds his old groove, perhaps he could be worth it. If not, Pens are stuck with a 4mil anchor for 3 more years.

I think that Kings probably won the trade because they got less term back. But of course, if Pearson returns into the 40 point player he can be, then that's a win for Penguins - But might still not be a loss for Kings in the case Pearson wouldn't have gotten the form back with them. At least as long as they're able to flip Hagelin for something tangible at the TDL.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Pearson isn’t a bad player he just became irrelevant and a nonfactor. His absence won’t really effect LA all that much.

LA players are so ingrained with a defense first don’t make mistakes mentality that I think creativity suffers. He is likely a 20-20-40 player at his best. He may find that again in Pitt. I still think his best asset now is front net presence and dirty work when he is on his game.

Good luck to him honestly.
Top 6 caliber LW to be w net front presence and do the dirty work with Malkin and Kessel? Yes I believe he will slot in nicely. Losing Hags and his speed is unfortunate but Pearson is a better fit for what the Pens need right now.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Hagelin is ass offensively so this does absolutely nothing to fix LA's scoring issues.

Pearson had rough go of it in the last...like 15 months but i'm starting to wonder if something systemic is wrong with LA. Kopitar has only 6 points, their depth outside of Kovalchuk and Carter is garbage. The fact they continually run a scrub like Iafallo on their top line should be exhibit A of how badly that team is constructed. Not to mention questionable coaching.

Watch Pearson go back to being a solid 40-50 point guy and make this trade look even worse.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I've never seen a fan base trash an ex player as much as kings fans are doing in this thread about Pearson.

I hope this has a James Neal type of explosion without the stupid stuff, just out of spite.

Reactions: BillPrep

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Haha maybe if you guys added Klingberg & Shattenkirk you'd end up with a quadrant of one dimensional defensemen and score enough points to make you guys feel relevant

Cup remains a dream, keep dreamin' Jose!

Enjoy your decade plus of being a basement team while you waste the best years of the only worthwhile player your team has in Kopitar.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
lol...good job SJ you guys still have an inferiority complex .
For the record 2 cups vs 1 finals appearance ... just saying

uh. grats on being hockey's version of the San Francisco Giants, I guess? Let's see how many of your pink hat bandwagoners jump ship as soon as your team becomes garbage again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad