Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] Kings re-sign D Alex Edler (1 year, $750k + $750k GP bonus)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
His skating is bad and I was worried when they signed him last season after seeing how he was getting burned his last couple years in Vancouver.
Maybe its LAs defensive system but he has managed to always keep the play in front him and didnt really get burned wide at all. Hes played really well in LA.

It's also role, on LA, he's playing bottom 2 pairings, and often with Roy.

Great PKer, solid positionallly, the kids LOVE him and rave about him, kind of spicy/meaner than I thought. Deferring the bonuses makes it even cheaper in LA's cap pinch this year. He was on pace for 40 pts and +40 last year before he got his leg shattered, he was sorely missed and wasn't quite the same when he came back but was pretty superhuman that he played at all. Hopefully he's mostly healed, but in a depth role, phenomenal deal.

La's D seems set with vets in Doughty and Edler, and now experienced guys in Roy and Walker (and youth with tons of games under their belt as well in Anderson et. al.). They COULD upgrade, but at least they're looking solid even now.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
His skating is bad and I was worried when they signed him last season after seeing how he was getting burned his last couple years in Vancouver.
Maybe its LAs defensive system but he has managed to always keep the play in front him and didnt really get burned wide at all. Hes played really well in LA.
It's only been one season out of Vancouver, and his last 3 years in Vancouver Edler's ice time was:

24:34
22:37
20:54

The fact that Benning could never build a blue line probably left Edler heavily overworked. Really he should still be on the Canucks as their bottom pair veteran dman.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Wow he definitely would have made more on the market. Good deal for the Kings, literally no risk and you could trade him if the season goes sideways.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Great deal, Kings management were talking about Edler as a not-every-game kind of player and this AAV for that kind of role now makes an awful lot of sense. Great move here.

This now gives the Kings $3,688,333 to re-sign Mikey Anderson, Sean Durzi, Gabe Vilardi, and Jaret Anderson-Dolan unless other moves are made.

Got a little more than that, $3,688,333 is with the 22 players currently signed. To sign the 4 players you mentioned 3 guys have to get sent down/waived to get to a 23 man roster. So, for example, you send down Lias, Moverare, and JAD you've now got $5,200,833 for Anderson, Durzi, and Vilardi. You get a few more pennies if you send down the waiver exempt guys.

Reactions: The Pale King

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
kind of spicy/meaner than I thought.

He's quiet and unassuming 98% of the time but yes he does have the tendency to pull something dirty once in a while. Gotta keep 'em honest. ;)

He must love LA because several teams would have given him more. What a great signing.

He just doesn't want to move. Word was for years that he would never, like never leave Vancouver. But Jim Benning was so bad as GM that it made the guy we never thought would leave, leave.

I imagine he's settled in nicely in LA now and has no intentions of disrupting that. (and who wouldn't love LA, anyway)

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He must love LA because several teams would have given him more. What a great signing.

At all the postseason stuff we figured this signing was coming because all the staff and kids were just raving about him. Personality, training, being a good pro. Dedication to come back from a shattered leg and play at a high level. Lot of Swedes on LA too so he's a nice uncle/father figure to have for an organization that's suddenly full of European players.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Kings are killing it with fair or even under market value contracts. I like this deal, if only we can get a younger LD, but he'll do just fine for one more year.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I wonder if he's thinking of retiring after this season. If I understand the CBA and he reaches those games played, the $750K in bonuses will count against LA's cap next year. That'll make it a little harder for LA to re-sign him and more likely that he'd have to sign elsewhere. It doesn't make sense for him to sign for so little to avoid having to move this Summer only to then move next Summer. It does make sense, though, if he's already tentatively decided that it's his last season. There could also be an understanding that doing this solid for the team could be repaid with a staff position at the end of the contract. Supposedly, the players love him, so there'd probably be no hesitation by LA to give him a job on their development team.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How did he not cost 3m?

Probably the injury.

I wonder if he's thinking of retiring after this season. If I understand the CBA and he reaches those games played, the $750K in bonuses will count against LA's cap next year. That'll make it a little harder for LA to re-sign him and more likely that he'd have to sign elsewhere. It doesn't make sense for him to sign for so little to avoid having to move this Summer only to then move next Summer. It does make sense, though, if he's already tentatively decided that it's his last season. There could also be an understanding that doing this solid for the team could be repaid with a staff position at the end of the contract. Supposedly, the players love him, so there'd probably be no hesitation by LA to give him a job on their development team.

Agree with all of the above, I also got the sense after coming back from last year's injury that he at least wanted to go out on his own terms with one more 'full'-ish year.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If I understand the CBA and he reaches those games played, the $750K in bonuses will count against LA's cap next year.
If there's room under the cap this year, it will count against this year. Only if you're at cap this year, the performance bonuses get rolled over to the next year as overage.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If there's room under the cap this year, it will count against this year. Only if you're at cap this year, the performance bonuses get rolled over to the next year as overage.

Ah. That explains why the CBA sounded like it was contradicting itself by saying, in some places, that performance bonuses count against the cap, and, in other places, that teams can exceed the cap because of performance bonuses. Thanks.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Ah. That explains why the CBA sounded like it was contradicting itself by saying, in some places, that performance bonuses count against the cap, and, in other places, that teams can exceed the cap because of performance bonuses. Thanks.
Yeah, the other thing is that according to the CBA, [for some purposes][during the season] the performance bonuses count against the cap in full until they become impossible to achieve. This is why for example the general 1OA ELC package of $925k in salary + $850k of Schedule A Performance Bonus + $2M of Schedule B Performance Bonus will give the player the AAV of $3.775M, though it is very iffy whether the player will actually get those bonuses.

Now I don't know what exactly those purposes are. Something that affects during the season I presume. My guess is you for example aren't allowed to sign/trade for a player mid-season if you don't have the needed cap room, even if some of the team's cap at that point is taken by the yet-unrealized performance bonuses.

They can exceed the overall season cap, but they can't do certain cap-dependent roster actions during the season... I think.

Last edited:

Godkolzin

Oct 19, 2021

His bonuses have nothing to do with this season unless LA is absolutely capped. Stick to the facts.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
It's only been one season out of Vancouver, and his last 3 years in Vancouver Edler's ice time was:

24:34
22:37
20:54

The fact that Benning could never build a blue line probably left Edler heavily overworked. Really he should still be on the Canucks as their bottom pair veteran dman.
Considering he and Ekman-Larsson brought more or less equal value last year, it's hard to argue with that. Edler was underrated on the Canucks by outsiders. Now they know how good he was, especially considering he's getting the praise in his twilight years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad