Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] G Pheonix Copley signs extension with the Kings (1 year, $1.5M)

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
I do not understand how anyone is complaining about this.

I dislike Pheonix Copley, mostly because his parents cannot spell. But he's a perfectly cromulent second-stringer, and for what...$700k above league minimum? I get that it's not exciting, but there's no real downside here.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I do not understand how anyone is complaining about this.

I dislike Pheonix Copley, mostly because his parents cannot spell. But he's a perfectly cromulent second-stringer, and for what...$700k above league minimum? I get that it's not exciting, but there's no real downside here.
No real downside? His name will grate on our nerves for a whole 'nother year now. Does that sound cromulent to you?

• Haha
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KingsCrunch

Apr 25, 2016
So Cal
Yeah, I don't get the hate. Cal is the turd that wont flush and Quick gave us two cups but is just worn out. Copley came in and gave the Kings a 15-3 record so far and is getting crapped on for losing a few games?

WTF do you people expect? The Kings have a hole on left left side defense and overall the defense is not as great as they were 10 years ago. That is hard for any goalie.

For him to sign for another year at 1.5 seems good to me. He could have taken his record to a better teem and bounced.

KingsCrunch

Apr 25, 2016
So Cal
Is he on a good run, or are the Kings simply scoring enough for him to win? His numbers are pretty bad aside from the WLT record.
It is both. Kings are way better with scoring but way worse on defense. I believe his numbers are bad because of this. He has had a few bombs like the last game but it is a way better record than Peterson has had. How many games has he thrown away? And Quick, I love how his career has gone but he seems done as well.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It is both. Kings are way better with scoring but way worse on defense. I believe his numbers are bad because of this. He has had a few bombs like the last game but it is a way better record than Peterson has had. How many games has he thrown away? And Quick, I love how his career has gone but he seems done as well.

Why give him 1.5 though? Hellberg has similar numbers in his 8 games with Det, and even if he kept those stats through Copley's workload, league minimum seems more than fair for that.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Is he on a good run, or are the Kings simply scoring enough for him to win? His numbers are pretty bad aside from the WLT record.
He's playing well. Couple mental lapses for a few stinkers recently, but the King's regularly allow teams clear shots at speed from around 10 feet out so he makes up for it. He gives the team a chance to win. Might be overworking him right now.
Why give him 1.5 though? Hellberg has similar numbers in his 8 games with Det, and even if he kept those stats through Copley's workload, league minimum seems more than fair for that.
He used Cal as a comparable?
:laugh:

KingsCrunch

Apr 25, 2016
So Cal

We have Copley on our team and do not have to lose anything to trade him for someone who might be as good.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Really?
Not a single NHL goaltender in the organization next season until Pheonix MF Copley signed an extension.
And jokers on this board are complaining.
We just got a legit backup goaltender who is 15-3-1 and carried this team for more than a month for only 1.5 M. Check out capfriendly for some fun and laughs at what many other teams pay their inferior backups.
I wanted to extend him a month ago for 1 million and most people laughed so dont complain it cost an extra half mill, thats on you.
This is literally the first good move Blake has made with a goaltender.
So yeah complain.

Not sure why this had to be rushed. Could this not have waited for even another month. Are our goalies so bad that we get engorged over a third string career back up putting up pedestrian numbers?
15-3-1 is not pedestrian in any league.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Really?
Not a single NHL goaltender in the organization next season until Pheonix MF Copley signed an extension.
And jokers on this board are complaining.
We just got a legit backup goaltender who is 15-3-1 and carried this team for more than a month for only 1.5 M. Check out capfriendly for some fun and laughs at what many other teams pay their inferior backups.
I wanted to extend him a month ago for 1 million and most people laughed so dont complain it cost an extra half mill, thats on you.
This is literally the first good move Blake has made with a goaltender.
So yeah complain.

15-3-1 is not pedestrian in any league.
Its like pitchers in baseball - don't care about the wins and losses when the underlying metrics don't support the record.

1676121805728.png

Cal Petersen if playing say 60 games this year would project to have a 30 - 18 - 12 record and he flat out sucked.

Just because our team can outscore our goalies deficiencies on a majority of the nights doesn't instill a lot of faith in our goalies.

I am glad Copley's on a tear win wise, but can any of our fans actually feel confident going into the stretch run with him as a number one. He had two bad games in a row a few weeks ago and the sky started falling around here.

Fox has also mentioned numerous times on the broadcasts that Copley has faced the lowest percentage of difficult shots. Now that was a couple of weeks ago but when you look at his GSAx he is 56th in the league which seems to back that stat.

1676122606077.png

So yes, I know its in bad taste not to agree with everyone on here, but I stick to my stance that his numbers are pedestrian despite his W/L ratio.

Am I pissed at the signing.......not really......just don't understand the rush. I like his back story, I like his size, but to me he is a third string guy that can be brought up and still give us a chance. He has done that and way more.

I just hope to hell he can keep that ratio up or we are in big trouble as Quick and Petersen's numbers are way worse.

Norwegianoiler

Nov 17, 2014
At least the Kings didn't double down on him like his parents did on that obviously misspelled first name that they left on the birth certificate.

• Haha
Reactions: Faterson

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Not sure why this had to be rushed. Could this not have waited for even another month. Are our goalies so bad that we get engorged over a third string career back up putting up pedestrian numbers?

Don’t get me wrong. Happy for him but we have a lot bigger needs than a back up goalie.

Unless this plays into my hope Blake trades for Vejmelka.

A Vejmelka and Copley tandem would cost $4.225 and burying Cal’s 5 mil wouldn’t be that big of kick in the nuts.
There’s a good amount of Kings fans that act like that he deserves it… mediocre play suddenly equates to being worth it.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
There’s a good amount of Kings fans that act like that he deserves it… mediocre play suddenly equates to being worth it.
I am going to go the other way here my friend

The big city in AZ has worked extremely hard and against all odds stole the net from a potential HOFer and the boy with a stuff tiger.
He is a success story and an inspiration and should be rewarded.

A message was sent both ways. Play like shit and get sent down (Cal) do the work and get rewarded, even if your first name is spelled wrong. Besides, it is only 1 year.

I for one am inspired by Pheonix

Sincerely,

Lt And

bland

Jul 1, 2004
How does a 1 year deal to essentially a backup eliminate them from trading for a starter?
They have $6.5 million locked into their backup and 3rd string spot. It doesn't stop them at all - just shows how little faith they have in Petersen, unless...

They may have signed Copley now hoping his contract for next year deters anyone from claiming him when they waive him after acquiring a new starter before the deadline. Petersen would likely be included in a deal (probably costing the Kings an extra quality asset), Copley is waived, and Quick doesn't have to be demoted to third string and carried in an extra roster spot before retiring at year's end. Then Copley is rewarded with the backup spot next year or enjoys the bump on his contract as a thank you if he gets claimed.

Of course, that does leave the possibility that its Vejmelka acquired and exposed with this poor defense, Copley gets claimed, and its round and round she goes.

Reactions: Trash Panda

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
They have $6.5 million locked into their backup and 3rd string spot. It doesn't stop them at all - just shows how little faith they have in Petersen, unless...

They may have signed Copley now hoping his contract for next year deters anyone from claiming him when they waive him after acquiring a new starter before the deadline. Petersen would likely be included in a deal (probably costing the Kings an extra quality asset), Copley is waived, and Quick doesn't have to be demoted to third string and carried in an extra roster spot before retiring at year's end. Then Copley is rewarded with the backup spot next year or enjoys the bump on his contract as a thank you if he gets claimed.

Of course, that does leave the possibility that its Vejmelka acquired and exposed with this poor defense, Copley gets claimed, and its round and round she goes.
I would be shocked if the kings acquired another goalie this season, i think the chances are about .00000001%

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Even if he was to be sent to the AHL it will count almost nothing against the cap. He's done well for the situation, might not have the fanciest stats but he's got wins. Sends a good message and morale to him and the entire locker room to reward him

Reward him for having a pulse? I guess

He just won a foot race against a corpse and an onion

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Good move. Bring him back for a little more money but don't overpay and extend like they did Cal before he could really prove himself. He'll get another shot. Quick will probably retire at the end of the year so either Blake brings Cal back up (puke) or they still gotta look for another goalie with starter potential so at the very least the two can compete for the spot.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I don't know what's wrong with you guys, this is a fantastic signing.

This guy is 15-3 and brought the Kings back to life, getting rewarded for outstanding performance.
He is doing all that in front of an AHL defense.

Weird enough, you guys are fine paying $10mill for a 1st line center who is not able to compete for more than 4 years.

Blake did also fantastic staying away from paying fantasy prices from delusional goalie offers.
Finally we can put all this Vejmelka nonsense to rest.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I don't know what's wrong with you guys, this is a fantastic signing.

This guy is 15-3 and brought the Kings back to life, getting rewarded for outstanding performance.
He is doing all that in front of an AHL defense.

Weird enough, you guys are fine paying $10mill for a 1st line center who is not able to compete for more than 4 years.

Blake did also fantastic staying away from paying fantasy prices from delusional goalie offers.
Finally we can put all this Vejmelka nonsense to rest.
If you think this signing has any impact on the acquisition of an actual number one, boy are you gonna be disappointed.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
The problem is not Copley.
There were multiple reasons to sign him to this amount at this time, or even earlier for less, as has been pointed out and debated repeatedly.

Some hardcore LA Kings board posters have super huge ego's, not allowing them to admit or possibly even see the reality that they were wrong and remain wrong on this one.

Especially when a very new poster predicted, polled and encouraged his signing in the face of the lack of a Kings goalie pipeline, starting when Copley was 3-1 on December 15, 2022.
Even suggesting he should have been signed for about as low 1 million as far back as December 12th.

I think this illustrates that they will not trade for another goalie before the deadline and this is one of the many upsides.
Blake is making that clear to GM's who were trying to pry from the Kings picks and prospect pool for a goalie and taking back CP, whenever Blake asked about a LHD and or a deterrent type.
That type of minor trade has a lot better chance of occurring

Blake may sign a potential number one goalie in the off season from the list he and Ranford keep.
Regardless CP will be rehabbed and given another shot at camp next season, or even sooner if the other 2 falter The KIngs may wait until next season or the off season after that to make further goalie moves.
They could also make multiple moves through those time frames.

The question is who is on their list that is a UFA this summer and the summer after.
By then the Kings will hopefully have built their status into a higher and higher ranked contender.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
If you think this signing has any impact on the acquisition of an actual number one, boy are you gonna be disappointed.
We will see about that.

So far Blake has shown lots of patience if it comes to signing and trades.
I don't expect any goalie trade at all, if any a signing of a youngster like Portillo

The is the very best outcome for the next 2 years

John Strachan

Jan 5, 2021
At the very least signing Copley to another season makes it a little more consequential for a team to take a flyer on him if the Kings have to expose him by sending back down to the minors. Otherwise a good will gesture to a goalie that came in and helped the Kings stabilize things to stay in the playoff race.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad