Prospect Info: LAK Draft (190th, 2020) RW Aatu Jämsen - Pelicans U18, U18 SM-sarja

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Peter Kanko was a miniature pitbull....

Back in the day the Kings scouting/drafting was so bad we were lucky to have 1 prospect to follow in hopes of making the NHL. Blakes drafts for the most part have been solid and well thought out. Happy to see a lot more prospects with legit chances of making and contributing in the NHL.

Reactions: ru4reals and Lt Dan

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I remember reading the Hockey's Future report on Jason Crain. Raved about his size and ability, anointed him a future star.

After graduating college he quit after 2 years bouncing between the AHL and ECHL.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Yeah… say hello to Jens Karlson, David Steckel, Denis Grebeshkov, Jeff Tambelini and Lauri Tukonen
Steckel carved out a pretty good career with Washington, not terrible. Grebeshkov wasn't a total bust either, but taken far too early.

Karlsson turned out to be a bruiser in Sweden :laugh: I never heard anything about why he never signed with the Kings, but man, what a flop. In their defense, he was fantastic the year before his draft, fell to pieces after that.

I remember Tukonen at the draft, his mom was freakin hot. With him I think the Kings didn't give him enough of a chance. He was decent in Manchester, he couldn't have been worse than Kostopolous, Willsie, Thornton, and a bunch of the tripe that was on that roster. Better off playing Conroy and trying to calculate how fast his skills were fading, I guess.

Reactions: Jungle Boy

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
I remember reading the Hockey's Future report on Jason Crain. Raved about his size and ability, anointed him a future star.

After graduating college he quit after 2 years bouncing between the AHL and ECHL.
I remember an early 2002 article about the 2003, 2004 and 2005 drafts. Saying how deep the 2003 would be (Staal, Horton, Brown, Parise, Vanek, Zherdev, Coburn, Paneuf, O’Sulivan), the insane top 4 of 2004 (Ovechkin, Tukonen, Olezs and Schremp) and the 2005 duo (Crosby x Brule).

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Not sure but I think Lehoux was a 4th round pick. Anyways Jared Aulin and Yannick Lehoux was supposed to be our 1 - 2 punch at center for years.

I still don't know why they never brought Lehoux up. 54 points and 23 goals in 38 games, and not even a callup? He never amounted to anything but still.

Notice a lot of these guys are right around the end of Taylor's stint as GM. Guy was doing everything he could to save his job and get the team decent, but ended up with a big pile of moose dung.

I remember an early 2002 article about the 2003, 2004 and 2005 drafts. Saying how deep the 2003 would be (Staal, Horton, Brown, Parise, Vanek, Zherdev, Coburn, Paneuf, O’Sulivan), the insane top 4 of 2004 (Ovechkin, Tukonen, Olezs and Schremp) and the 2005 duo (Crosby x Brule).
I wish that stuff was archived, it would be a riot to go back and read some of that stuff. Scouting has gotten so much better than it was 20 years ago, there are a lot fewer misses.

Reactions: Jungle Boy

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I wish that stuff was archived, it would be a riot to go back and read some of that stuff. Scouting has gotten so much better than it was 20 years ago, there are a lot fewer misses.
Man, there was one dude who kept going on about how Brule was going to be better than Crosby. Props to him for sticking to his guns, but that is quite a painful commitment.

I also remember how HF chat exploded when Montreal took Price at 5.

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
I still don't know why they never brought Lehoux up. 54 points and 23 goals in 38 games, and not even a callup? He never amounted to anything but still.

Notice a lot of these guys are right around the end of Taylor's stint as GM. Guy was doing everything he could to save his job and get the team decent, but ended up with a big pile of moose dung.
2001 to 2003 drafts were a disaster. 2003 (maybe the deepest draft ever) we had 4 picks on the top 44 and came out of it with Dustin Brown, The Ducks got Getzlaf and Perry, Nashville Sutter and Weber, Philly Richards and Carter, Boston got Stuart and Bergeron.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
2001 to 2003 drafts were a disaster. 2003 (maybe the deepest draft ever) we had 4 picks on the top 44 and came out of it with Dustin Brown, The Ducks got Getzlaf and Perry, Nashville Sutter and Weber, Philly Richards and Carter, Boston got Stuart and Bergeron.

And the Kings came out of it with more Cups than all of them?

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
What's funny is yeah we only got Dustin Brown in the first round but then added Richards and Carter later as well. I'll take Dustin and the 2 cups any day.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Man, there was one dude who kept going on about how Brule was going to be better than Crosby. Props to him for sticking to his guns, but that is quite a painful commitment.

I also remember how HF chat exploded when Montreal took Price at 5.
Who did they actually want? LOL. I bet it was Brule!!! Just imagine if they did select Brule. I look back at that '05 draft and it was definitely not a very deep draft. Top 10 redo would be,
Crosby
Kopi
Price
Quick
Letang'
Stastny
Oshie
Vlasic
Yandle
Bishop

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
Well… with another GM and what was supposed to be a quick retool became a long rebuild.

The Kings became pretty close to be maybe the biggest dinasty of salary cap era hockey. Those 2003 pieces could have helped it. That’s just speculation but…

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Article about Jämsen (in Finnish)

Jämsen was in poor shape last summer and had bad results in his physical tests. His coaches told him he needs to start working hard and live like an athlete if he wants to become a professional hockey player. Jämsen decided that he needs to get in better shape. He says he weighted 71 kilos (157 pounds) last season and weighs 77 kilos (170 pounds) now. 6 kilos (13 pounds) of muscle. His hobby is rapping (artist name Kid Jämsen). He says he doesn't know yet if he plays in Finland or North America next season.

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
Jämsen does not play tonight (just like he didn't play last game). Injury, most likely concussion.

I hope Kings sign him, but let him play in Finland one more season. There is Finnish players in Ontario (Helenius, Nousiainen), which helps to adapt North American hockey / life, but Jamsen is still physically immature. 13 pounds more muscle and then is ready to play in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad