Confirmed with Link: [LAK/DAL] Ben Bishop UFA Rights - Signs 6 years / $29.5 million

________

Feb 6, 2006
Assuming they do get a deal completed hopefully it's 3 years higher per year average, then say 5-6 years, Stars will need a good backup goalie with Bishop's injury history.

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Glad they're taking the position seriously, but I think the term he'll demand will likely petrify me. 4 years I'm fine with, longer than that, eek.

Nill not addressing the position last summer was inexcusable. This is a nice step in the right direction.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If I may,

I think this is a great trade for Dallas.
Hitch+ Bishop+ Heiskanen in 1 offseason would be great for Dallas defensive side. I don't know how to exactly say it but it would give a fesh start with nice core developing.

Bishop still has prime years left, he allows Dallas to try to draft their next goalie and take their time with him, and this should send a positive message to the locker room.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If I may,

I think this is a great trade for Dallas.
Hitch+ Bishop+ Heiskanen in 1 offseason would be great for Dallas defensive side. I don't know how to exactly say it but it would give a fesh start with nice core developing.

Bishop still has prime years left, he allows Dallas to try to draft their next goalie and take their time with him, and this should send a positive message to the locker room.

And we should be active in free agency, given we'll have over 10M to play with (and have several holes on the wing to fill).

Going to be a very active offseason for Dallas.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'd really like to avoid a 5th year, but I imagine Sturm is not wrong.

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
If anybody's wondering what he'll look like in the uni...

iwz9k7I.jpg

I made a jersey swap. It's a bit rough around the edges, but I wanted to finish tonight.
I have a higher resolution one if anyone wants it. Enjoy!

Bhrangerfan0809

Jan 20, 2013
If anybody's wondering what he'll look like in the uni...

iwz9k7I.jpg

I made a jersey swap. It's a bit rough around the edges, but I wanted to finish tonight.
I have a higher resolution one if anyone wants it. Enjoy!

Wonder if the new Adidas jerseys will look substantially different for next season

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
And we should be active in free agency, given we'll have over 10M to play with (and have several holes on the wing to fill).

Going to be a very active offseason for Dallas.

Looks like it.
I think there's going to be a change in leaders next year in Central.

Quality LD veteran could be a nice add and the cap could allow it.

I'd really like to avoid a 5th year, but I imagine Sturm is not wrong.

The problem is Bishop is UFA and he's proven #1G in his prime. I think 5 years in this market would be good, top players can get those 6-7 years deal and those are scary.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Not sure how I feel about this.

Seems awfully reminiscent of the Niemi pickup...

In the 3 seasons before Niemi came here he played 168 games with a .918 Save Percentage.

In the 4 seasons prior to Bishop coming here, he's played 162 games with a .918 Save Percentage.

Both came here at about the same age...Good thing is that Bishop won't get any smaller with age ;)

Probably looking at similar contracts here as well.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Here's a post I made on the trade boards, but wanted you guys to see it.

BTW - Bish is great. When he's on he is very frustrating to watch. Calm in net, swallows pucks, and he covers more of the net on his knees than most goalies on their feet. Weakness is reaction saves, but he's really good positionally and he tracks the puck well.

And his puck movement will decrease your SA/G probably by 2 or 3 on its own.

Source for that - Him and Vasi's SA/60:
Vasi 30.36 over the past two seasons
Bish 28.06 over the past two seasons

That's over 120 fewer shots against over the course of a season (assuming 60 games played). Assuming a .925 EV save percentage, he's saving you at least 10 goals you're never going to see.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Nill not addressing the position last summer was inexcusable. This is a nice step in the right direction.

Inexcusable? I disagree, not when the price for Bishop or Talbot was said to be Julius Honka.

It was a calculated risk to roll with Kari/Anti one more year to avoid giving up our best young asset, a D man, no less, which we need. At least, given Nill's aversion to overpaying, managing assets for the long term, etc., I think that was his well considered plan. It sucked that we also had millions of injuries derailing the season, but I think it was quite excusable given the totality of the circumstances.

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
Here's a post I made on the trade boards, but wanted you guys to see it.

BTW - Bish is great. When he's on he is very frustrating to watch. Calm in net, swallows pucks, and he covers more of the net on his knees than most goalies on their feet. Weakness is reaction saves, but he's really good positionally and he tracks the puck well.

And his puck movement will decrease your SA/G probably by 2 or 3 on its own.

Source for that - Him and Vasi's SA/60:
Vasi 30.36 over the past two seasons
Bish 28.06 over the past two seasons

That's over 120 fewer shots against over the course of a season (assuming 60 games played). Assuming a .925 EV save percentage, he's saving you at least 10 goals you're never going to see.

From what I hear, it sounds like he can almost act like a 3rd D-Man. Should help the team maintain possession, and this team plays much better on the attack.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
From what I hear, it sounds like he can almost act like a 3rd D-Man. Should help the team maintain possession, and this team plays much better on the attack.

During the long change on an opponent dump in, keep a winger on the boards furthest away from the bench. His stretch pass is nuts.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Inexcusable? I disagree, not when the price for Bishop or Talbot was said to be Julius Honka.

It was a calculated risk to roll with Kari/Anti one more year to avoid giving up our best young asset, a D man, no less, which we need. At least, given Nill's aversion to overpaying, managing assets for the long term, etc., I think that was his well considered plan. It sucked that we also had millions of injuries derailing the season, but I think it was quite excusable given the totality of the circumstances.

Inexcusable was returning to camp with the same two terrible goalies. There were other options beyond trading for two guys.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
It's a good proactive try to solve a problem but if he gets a massive contract, it could end up being a disaster.

His last year wasn't very good and there's bunch of question marks.

Now off to replacing the two 20-minute top 4 defenseman that went missing last offseason, right?!

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
It's a good proactive try to solve a problem but if he gets a massive contract, it could end up being a disaster.

His last year wasn't very good and there's bunch of question marks.

Now off to replacing the two 20-minute top 4 defenseman that went missing last offseason, right?!

They'd better do SOMETHING with the defense haha. Anything...anything that doesn't involve keeping Big Rig would be a good start.

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
Bishops last deal was only two years. Why he didn't want longer contract then? Maybe he is ready to sign shorter contract now too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad