To LA: 2nd 2023 + Ryan Johnson

LAK - DET
To DET: Sean Durzi
To LA: 2nd 2023

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Is Johnson a free agent?

Please DET take Durzi for the 2nd round pick..
I mean, Sean Durzi is Tony DeAngelo with great character so what’s a Dman with above average offensive, PP1 skills on a $1.8mill contract worth? At minimum he’s a 40pt Dman with suspect defense that can be minimized with a SAH Dman pairing

Last edited:

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place
Iafallo is probably worth a 3rd round pick.

Not sure why King's fans think he's has so much market value.
Probably fair. He's a solid mid-6er who can PK and sub in anywhere in a lineup without looking out of place. And essentially a hometown boy in Buff. Plus under contract for another couple of years. I'd add another pick or someone like Akil Thomas to get the deal done

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
So....

Two 2nd round picks for Iafallo?( Johnson is worth a 2nd due to his comp pick if he doesn't sign.)

At a 4M cap hit? (Who makes 4.4M cash next season)

Who will be 30 next season and a UFA in two years?

To Buffalo, a rebuilding team?

Sure glad there is a 6th included to make sure Buffalo is getting good value ... :sarcasm:

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
So....

Two 2nd round picks for Iafallo?( Johnson is worth a 2nd due to his comp pick if he doesn't sign.)

At a 4M cap hit? (Who makes 4.4M cash next season)

Who will be 30 next season and a UFA in two years?

To Buffalo, a rebuilding team?

Sure glad there is a 6th included to make sure Buffalo is getting good value ... :sarcasm:
I am probably the biggest Iafallo hater on the kings board and dont think 2 2nd round picks is that farfetched.
He can play top line, bottom line, penalty kill, powerplay, hold a lead, help tie a game late…
Really a jack of all trades player that the coach says everyone requests to have on their line. He would really help stabilize a line if you have young players breaking through in Buffalo but need to shore up their play in the defensive zone.
Iafallo has lost some speed from injury though so I can see him getting less.
Kings will probably hold onto him longer and look to deal Walker, Grundstrom, Peterson and Durzi instead.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Probably fair. He's a solid mid-6er who can PK and sub in anywhere in a lineup without looking out of place. And essentially a hometown boy in Buff. Plus under contract for another couple of years. I'd add another pick or someone like Akil Thomas to get the deal done
Yet he’s in the same class as Artturi Lehkonen, I’m pretty sure that’s worth more than a 3rd.. and AI has a lower salary btw

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I am probably the biggest Iafallo hater on the kings board and dont think 2 2nd round picks is that farfetched.
He can play top line, bottom line, penalty kill, powerplay, hold a lead, help tie a game late…
Really a jack of all trades player that the coach says everyone requests to have on their line. He would really help stabilize a line if you have young players breaking through in Buffalo but need to shore up their play in the defensive zone.
Kings will probably hold onto him longer and look to deal Walker, Grundstrom, Peterson and Durzi instead.
@4M (4.4M salary) with the current league wide cap situation, I think the value is off. 28 goal scorer Bjorkstrand returned a 4th and a 5th @5.4M last season and cap is tighter league wide this season.

But the point really is, is a soon to be 30 years old with 2 years till UFA really worth two 2nds to a young, rebuilding team?

Is that good value or a realistic move?

Reactions: BringTheReign

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
@4M (4.4M salary) with the current league wide cap situation, I think the value is off. 28 goal scorer Bjorkstrand returned a 4th and a 5th @5.4M last season and cap is tighter league wide this season.

But the point really is, is a soon to be 30 years old with 2 years till UFA really worth two 2nds to a young, rebuilding team?

Is that good value or a realistic move?
I dont know Buffalos situation well enough but if they need some help killing penalties and someone to help ease in rookies defensively then yea he would be a good fit.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I dont know Buffalos situation well enough but if they need some help killing penalties and someone to help ease in rookies defensively then yea he would be a good fit.
Buffalo is rebuilding. They aren't spending assets on 30 year old players. No rebuilding team does that. There is just no way to spin that as a smart move for a team in their situation.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Then why do you hate him?

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Hate was a strong word but most Kings fans have a weird obsession with him that I dont always agree with. I personally think they have guys in the system like Moore and Anderson-Dolan that can play the same role so if they have to move guys out they could deal from a position of strength.
Still I think he wont be moved and they move multiple lower salaries like Walker Grundstrom and Durzi instead.

Reactions: Jungle Boy

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place
Buffalo is rebuilding. They aren't spending assets on 30 year old players. No rebuilding team does that. There is just no way to spin that as a smart move for a team in their situation.
Won't pretend to know the strategy in Buffalo but to me it seems like they are one or two seasons out from being a legitimate contender. Just need personnel that can help shut the door in close games, which Iafallo can do while chipping in a few goals

Reactions: Jungle Boy

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Won't pretend to know the strategy in Buffalo but to me it seems like they are one or two seasons out from being a legitimate contender. Just need personnel that can help shut the door in close games, which Iafallo can do while chipping in a few goals
They have a serious need for D prospects. Johnson is their best and they have no one currently in the AHL. They are hoping he will sign.

Pretty sure Adams would not trade Johnson straight up for Iafallo, even if Iafallo were a few years younger.

As it stands now, they will not be contending in the east until Iafallo will be a UFA and be 31 going on 32 years old. Giving up solid assets for him would go against everything Adams has been patiently building over the past two-and-a-half seasons. Every press confrence, Adams clearly states that he is only open to trading for players that fit his rebuilld's timeline. Iafallo does not fall in that category.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Just to chime in here.

Iafallo only got this horrible contract extension because he is best buddy with Doughty and Kopitar who called crying every day into the head office until they gave in.

Iafallo is a 3rd liner at best and worth roughly 1.2 Mill max.
He never cracked the 20 goal mark despite playing most of his career 1st line beside Kopitar and 1st PP

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I don't think Detroit does that.

They just traded away a RHD that couldn't play defense, who's one year away before getting a good raise.

Doesn't make sense.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Just to chime in here.

Iafallo only got this horrible contract extension because he is best buddy with Doughty and Kopitar who called crying every day into the head office until they gave in.

Iafallo is a 3rd liner at best and worth roughly 1.2 Mill max.
He never cracked the 20 goal mark despite playing most of his career 1st line beside Kopitar and 1st PP
I know very little about the kings so don’t take this as argumentative.
You post seems to directly contradict the post I replied to. That post seems (right or wrong) to be that guys opinion of how Iafallo plays. … honestly as an outsider yours seems … well like a nothing burger. Is there something out there showing Kopitar and Doughty called the front office every day? … it seems made up.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
You post seems to directly contradict the post I replied to. That post seems (right or wrong) to be that guys opinion of how Iafallo plays. … honestly as an outsider yours seems … well like a nothing burger. Is there something out there showing Kopitar and Doughty called the front office every day? … it seems made up.
Dude has a reputation for some of the absolute hottest of hot takes around the Kings.

Alex is a very responsible middle-six player who will pot you 35-40 points, PK well, and not look out of place against anyone. Solid if unspectacular.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Doughty himself talked about it in an interview.
He called in every day asking if a new deal is done

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Two trades that free up space on the Kings and add pieces to rising teams

LAK - BUF
To BUF: Alex Iafallo + 6th 2023
To LA: 2nd 2023 + Ryan Johnson

and I’ll trade you PHL 2nd for Clarke…..

this is just as much of a hell f***ing no offer.

Buffalo is not Toronto and goes out and collect all the hometown boys.

recent drafts fir forwards

2020 drafted Quinn and Peterka. Both played all season in buffalo on yr 2 of their ELCs

2021. Drafted Rosen in the 1st and 2 other F in 2nd
2023 used 3 1st rounds on all F Savoie, Ostlund, and Kulich

the don’t have much in prospect D in the AHL. Ryan Johnson is about it. They drafted some D in 20-22 drafts in middle rounds. Those might not start ELC till 24/25.

Johnson also Carrie’s a comp pick at 61 in 2nd of 24 draft if he doesn’t sign with buffalo. He’s not an expiring rights deal like how Portillo was.

the feeling is buffalo signs Johnson after college season ends and he burns yr 1 of ELC

for next years roster it’s pretty set outside the bottom F

Skinner-Thompson-Quinn
Peterka-Cozens-Tuch
Mittlestadt-Krebs-Greenway
xxx-xxx-Olofsson

Olofsson is under contract fir 2 more year but coukd be traded in offseason.

Jost is an RFA
Girgensons and Okposo and Hinostroza are UFAs

some of the young players mentioned above could make the team. There are a couple other AHL prospects that could be on team next year.

on D side

Samuelsson-Dahlin
Power-Lybushkin
xxx-Jokiharju
Bryson

Johnson could make the team. If not he’s first call up. Theycould trade Jokiharju fir a better RD

in terms of trades……

I mention above they could trade for a D. If thry trade for one, it woukd be for someone with 3-4 yrs of control And contract or expected new contract would be $5M or less. Then this player is a bridge to the youth recently drafted or those drafted in 23 and 24.

they move Olofsson for futures or part of a bigger trade. He could be traded for picks/ prospects, for a D, for a player fitting more of a bottom 6 player than a pure off player.

in the summer…….

just like last summer not many teams will have cap space. Many teams will be near it, at it, or over it.

moving salary will cost teams in terms of return thry get or sweetener they need to add.

If kings are against the cap and think Iaffalonis exorndabke then they will probably send him out and only get a 7th or thry need to give up something else they don’t want to move salary.

look around the league and see teams…

at least 12 of them are against it and will want to move a $4M+ 1-3 yr contract

buffalo can have their pick of such players and either do it for free/ low round pick or also get a pick for taking them.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
and I’ll trade you PHL 2nd for Clarke…..

this is just as much of a hell f***ing no offer.

Buffalo is not Toronto and goes out and collect all the hometown boys.

recent drafts fir forwards

2020 drafted Quinn and Peterka. Both played all season in buffalo on yr 2 of their ELCs

2021. Drafted Rosen in the 1st and 2 other F in 2nd
2023 used 3 1st rounds on all F Savoie, Ostlund, and Kulich

the don’t have much in prospect D in the AHL. Ryan Johnson is about it. They drafted some D in 20-22 drafts in middle rounds. Those might not start ELC till 24/25.

Johnson also Carrie’s a comp pick at 61 in 2nd of 24 draft if he doesn’t sign with buffalo. He’s not an expiring rights deal like how Portillo was.

the feeling is buffalo signs Johnson after college season ends and he burns yr 1 of ELC

for next years roster it’s pretty set outside the bottom F

Skinner-Thompson-Quinn
Peterka-Cozens-Tuch
Mittlestadt-Krebs-Greenway
xxx-xxx-Olofsson

Olofsson is under contract fir 2 more year but coukd be traded in offseason.

Jost is an RFA
Girgensons and Okposo and Hinostroza are UFAs

some of the young players mentioned above could make the team. There are a couple other AHL prospects that could be on team next year.

on D side

Samuelsson-Dahlin
Power-Lybushkin
xxx-Jokiharju
Bryson

Johnson could make the team. If not he’s first call up. Theycould trade Jokiharju fir a better RD

in terms of trades……

I mention above they could trade for a D. If thry trade for one, it woukd be for someone with 3-4 yrs of control And contract or expected new contract would be $5M or less. Then this player is a bridge to the youth recently drafted or those drafted in 23 and 24.

they move Olofsson for futures or part of a bigger trade. He could be traded for picks/ prospects, for a D, for a player fitting more of a bottom 6 player than a pure off player.

in the summer…….

just like last summer not many teams will have cap space. Many teams will be near it, at it, or over it.

moving salary will cost teams in terms of return thry get or sweetener they need to add.

If kings are against the cap and think Iaffalonis exorndabke then they will probably send him out and only get a 7th or thry need to give up something else they don’t want to move salary.

look around the league and see teams…

at least 12 of them are against it and will want to move a $4M+ 1-3 yr contract

buffalo can have their pick of such players and either do it for free/ low round pick or also get a pick for taking them.
Wow only 1RHD that’s tough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad