Confirmed Trade: [LAK/ARI] Brayden Burke and Tyler Steenbergen for Cole Hults and Boko Imama

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Imama tough guy. Could make the 4th line on the yotes give the fans something to cheer for. The whole analytics thing did wonders for him.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
No way Boko Imama is a real player. I'm going to google him and its going to be Roger from American Dad isn't it?
Coyotes fans, me included, thinks he’s an nhl player next year. We have really needed an enforcer and Armstrong went out of his way to say he wanted a fighter. This trade was calculated. I assume he’s the 13th forward.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Coyotes fans, me included, thinks he’s an nhl player next year. We have really needed an enforcer and Armstrong went out of his way to say he wanted a fighter. This trade was calculated. I assume he’s the 13th forward.

You also got Roussel in a trade who allways is causing trouble for both teams and loves to piss off other teams. Imama might have to fight alot.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
No way Boko Imama is a real player. I'm going to google him and its going to be Roger from American Dad isn't it?

He has some skill and can skate. You don't score 9 goals in the AHL without some skill. He's a player that might play 1-2 NHL games in his lifetime I suspect His temper will get him suspended though.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I’ve been interested in Imama for the Rangers for at least a year. His overall game IMO has been growing—that’s the can he play part and he is legit tough. Reminds me a bit of Brandon Prust.

Reactions: Ola and Crunchrulz

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
But why this guy in particular and not one of the other dozens of goons around?

Don't get me wrong, I'm honestly impressed by anyone who knows these guys, especially when they're not in your own organization.
Why Boko Imama? Because Bill Armstrong is entering his 2nd season as an NHL GM and spent his whole career prior in amateur scouting. As of yet has never had an assistant GM. All of his hiring in the front-office has been within scouting department. Amateur scouting has been the sole focus of the organization. As evidenced by the absolutely MASSIVE amount of picks and prospects they've acquired recently.

So what does all of that have to do with Boko Imama? Well, Armstrong has to rely on someone for advice as he navigates this tear down and rebuild, right? The closest thing he has to an Assistant GM is Darryl Plandowski, who he hired to run the amateur scouting department. Plandowski was a top scout for Tampa for a decade prior. He was the Imama champion within that organization, and the reason the Bolts selected Boko in the draft some years ago. So if you're Bill Armstrong and you're looking to A) Add toughness & B) Add a culture changer, and you ask your most trusted advisor (Plandowski) who he sees as a fit, you're likely to get the name Boko Imama suggested to you.

It doesn't hurt that he's cheap, and young enough to grow with the team, and that he didn't cost much to acquire. Also, he really terrorized the Tucson Roadrunners last season. So at least they've eliminated that threat, if nothing else.

Also, Imama isn't without competition. He's Plandowski's choice for team tough guy, but there's another candidate; Liam O'Brien. Bill Armstrong hired Andre Tourigny to be his head coach because he was the best coach in the CHL and the guy Team Canada most trusted to develop and coach their international youth teams. Tourigny knows his stuff when it comes to young players, and he's been relied on for decision making by Armstrong and Plandowski. This is a committee. Liam O'Brien who's been an AHL/NHL tweener/goon for the last couple of years, was one named captain of the Rouyn-Noranda by his then Head Coach, Andre Tourigny. Obviously O'Brien has been vouched for on the leadership and character side of things. Just like Imama was by Plandowski.

Short Answer to Your Question:

Bill Armstrong hired guys he trusts in Plandowski and Tourigny. Bill Armstrong was looking for a tough guy. He went out and got the two tough guy options recommended to him by Plandowski and Tourigny.

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
He has some skill and can skate. You don't score 9 goals in the AHL without some skill. He's a player that might play 1-2 NHL games in his lifetime I suspect His temper will get him suspended though.
I don't get why everyone is considering him this crazy goon... He can play, and doesn't just go around picking fight and looking to take heads off. He averages about 2.5 pims per game in the AHL and that was under 2/game this season. He's also a former 40 goal scorer in Jr. He's much better than a guy like Rinaldo

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Losing Hults was definitely a surprise. LA has a lot of defensive prospects but the guy didn't look that bad considering it was his first AHL season on a defensively-poor team. I just think Hults still has a lot of upside. The Kings board rated him our 16th-best prospect last seasonin an absolutely stacked prospect pool. He was ranked ahead of guys like Jordan Spence, Kasper Simontaival, Martin Chromiak, and Sean Durzi, for what it's worth. Can't help but wonder why.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Why Boko Imama? Because Bill Armstrong is entering his 2nd season as an NHL GM and spent his whole career prior in amateur scouting. As of yet has never had an assistant GM. All of his hiring in the front-office has been within scouting department. Amateur scouting has been the sole focus of the organization. As evidenced by the absolutely MASSIVE amount of picks and prospects they've acquired recently.

So what does all of that have to do with Boko Imama? Well, Armstrong has to rely on someone for advice as he navigates this tear down and rebuild, right? The closest thing he has to an Assistant GM is Darryl Plandowski, who he hired to run the amateur scouting department. Plandowski was a top scout for Tampa for a decade prior. He was the Imama champion within that organization, and the reason the Bolts selected Boko in the draft some years ago. So if you're Bill Armstrong and you're looking to A) Add toughness & B) Add a culture changer, and you ask your most trusted advisor (Plandowski) who he sees as a fit, you're likely to get the name Boko Imama suggested to you.

It doesn't hurt that he's cheap, and young enough to grow with the team, and that he didn't cost much to acquire. Also, he really terrorized the Tucson Roadrunners last season. So at least they've eliminated that threat, if nothing else.

Also, Imama isn't without competition. He's Plandowski's choice for team tough guy, but there's another candidate; Liam O'Brien. Bill Armstrong hired Andre Tourigny to be his head coach because he was the best coach in the CHL and the guy Team Canada most trusted to develop and coach their international youth teams. Tourigny knows his stuff when it comes to young players, and he's been relied on for decision making by Armstrong and Plandowski. This is a committee. Liam O'Brien who's been an AHL/NHL tweener/goon for the last couple of years, was one named captain of the Rouyn-Noranda by his then Head Coach, Andre Tourigny. Obviously O'Brien has been vouched for on the leadership and character side of things. Just like Imama was by Plandowski.

Bill Armstrong hired guys he trusts in Plandowski and Tourigny. Bill Armstrong was looking for a tough guy. He went out and got the two tough guy options recommended to him by Plandowski and Tourigny.

Wow, that was a more detailed breakdown than what you usually read from beat reporters :laugh: thanks!

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA

Having watched O'Brien fight his way through the AHL East, he is tough but I am not sure he is in Imama's League tough. At the AHL level, they would be Tucson's version of Twist/Chase. I don't see both of them dressing at the same time in the Regular Season at the NHL level, unless there is some SERIOUS scores to settle. Love the added toughness to the organization though as you have a new follower.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Having watched O'Brien fight his way through the AHL East, he is tough but I am not sure he is in Imama's League tough. At the AHL level, they would be Tucson's version of Twist/Chase. I don't see both of them dressing at the same time in the Regular Season at the NHL level, unless there is some SERIOUS scores to settle. Love the added toughness to the organization though as you have a new follower.
I think they want one guy in Glendale and one guy in Tucson. They’ll figure it out. :)

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I think the Yotes are going to give Imama a shot in the bigs and the Kings knew that and wanted to do him a solid. Plus the Kings haven’t had real good vets down in Ontario with the exception of Sutter for sometime. With the addition of Tynan and Sparks and now Burke they should be far more competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad