Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] Andreas Athanasiou signs with the Kings (1 year, $1.2M)

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
And it took me basically a month to learn how to pronounce Athanasiou's name until it rolled of my tongue. All that time i'll never get back.

Reactions: McJedi

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
Perfect term and $. If he performs well, we flip him for a 3rd or 4th. If he sucks, we let him walk end of the season. Zero risk, minimum reward deal for us.

Reactions: go4hockey

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
I mean, yeah. If he does decently, flip him at the deadline for a 4th round pick. If he stinks, bury him in the taxi squad and give a younger player a shot. Whatevs.

Gio4PM

Nov 4, 2014
Perfect term and $. If he performs well, we flip him for a 3rd or 4th. If he sucks, we let him walk end of the season. Zero risk, minimum reward deal for us.
A 4th? I’m given to understand he’s worth two 2nds.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Perhaps the best analogy I can think of for Athanasiou is he’s what happens in the NHL 2020 video game when you create a player with high stats (top 10 fastest player in the league, a hard shot, above average hands, deceptively aggressive in terms of physicality), but let him be played by your 7 year old Nephew.

Tools are there, but the game sense isn’t (puck hog, tries to be flashy even when it’s a detriment, turnovers and horrible defense positioning)​

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
LA fans got a lineup prediction with this signing?
Alex Iaffalo - Anze Kopitar - Dustin Brown
Adrian Kempe - Gabe Vilardi - Martin Frk
Andreas Anthanasiou - Blake Lizotte - Jeff Carter
Trevor Moore - Jaret Anderson-Dolan - Michael Amadio

*Arthur Kaliyev, Rasmus Kupari, Tyler Madden, Samuel Fagemo, Alex Turcotte, Lias Andersson

barriers

Feb 10, 2020

*Arthur Kaliyev, Rasmus Kupari, Tyler Madden, Samuel Fagemo, Alex Turcotte
Don't forget Grundstrom as a 13th forward. He's not waiver-exempt anymore.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
There should be nothing wrong with this signing. Cheap, one-year, could maybe be effective for the Kings? If he's good and yet the team is bad, they can flip him for a pick at the deadline. If he accrues a lot of minuses, well, the team already sucks anyway, so whatever. Playoffs is way too out of reach for this team anyway, this season. Better scenario is they barely make it to playoffs and that's only could be because all the other teams in the division that's not Vegas, St. Louis, Colorado, is somehow worst.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007

*Arthur Kaliyev, Rasmus Kupari, Tyler Madden, Samuel Fagemo, Alex Turcotte, Lias Andersson
No chance that Byfield cracks the lineup?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
He's 26YRs old, one season removed from scoring 30G, and had over 0.5 PPG before he was traded to Edmonton, where it clearly didn't work out.

Shrewd signing by the Kings.

He played 13 games for the Oilers....how can you tell within 13 games and limited minutes if something worked out or not?

What a dumb trade by the Oilers.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
And how many goals will he give up going the other way if you play him 18 minutes a night? Because he sure helped to give up an absolute boatload in Detroit.

In 18-19, after the deadline, AA finally got decent minutes as the 2C.
He went 16 games 8-7-15 in 19:25 a night.
He was +1.
His linemates were mostly Glendening, Helm and Hirose.
It's one of the few times he's ever played consistent high minutes.
Andreas Athanasiou 2018-19 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com

So if you want to suggest AA would suck with high minutes, that's fine.
You just don't have any evidence of it.

Reactions: NotLeddy and Carl33

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Seems like a no risk signing. Kings have cap space and if he doesn’t work out, send him to Ontario (AHL). If he performs, they can trade him at deadline or resign him.

Reactions: go4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad