Laine's and Connor's contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm not sure there are lots of areas where the team will need to improve, if they play like they can and are coached semi-optimally.

We could always trade a 1st to save some money like Toronto did, that would open some cap space to "improve" the team.

I wonder where most cup winners end up on a graph from most signing and trades to basically draft and develop only like the jets. Is there a way to figure this out ?? Lol

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You do realize other players will come off the payroll when Morrissey's next deal kicks in? Kulikov alone offers up $4.3 of space to give to Morrissey which would make Morrissey's salary $7.5. Niku and Beaulieu are both due for deals that year as well but won't break the bank.

Yes, it will be very tight. That's what happens to "cap" teams.
Yup, and the cap will probably rise by at least 1.5-2M. Also, they could find a way to move out Perreault's cap hit before 2020.

They'll also have Roslovic and Appleton as RFAs, so they might need to juggle things at forward, based on how those two develop this season.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Yup, and the cap will probably rise by at least 1.5-2M. Also, they could find a way to move out Perreault's cap hit before 2020.

They'll also have Roslovic and Appleton as RFAs, so they might need to juggle things at forward, based on how those two develop this season.

So we will have to subtract more players to fit our own again I understand that's what cap teams have to do. I just see tampa adding every single year with so many elite players already and I feel that's the way to go.

Sure the got swept but they will be a powerhouse for years and will keep making trades and signings every year to get better.

I guess whoever wins a cup first between us two shows the right way

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Fair enough.
110 goals in 3 years for just a shooter.
Who are the next 4 Jets in goals during that time period ?
How many goals have they scored in that same period and what do they make?

Not sure what your trying to say that's any different then my post..........I'm just saying Laine is a shooter, who has some significant short comings in his first three years........nothing I've said should be a surprise to you or anyone........there's endless amounts of data & analytics to prove that. I clearly said even players with limitations have a role, like Laine........just can't overpay players like that.......he's not a total package player (yet, likely never will be, albeit he could improve).....he's a one dimensional player who does one thing well "under the right conditions". Players like that shouldn't be overpaid or paid like franchise players.........which is exactly what I said. If he doesn't like the facts and sign a long term deal reflective of his limitations then cool sign a bridge and prove he's more......if he doesn't like that trade him out of here. Laine is an asset, nothing more, nothing less........he can sign for a fair deal or be traded.......couldn't careless which one bc his value still helps the team regardless. The only thing we cannot do is overpay him like a franchise player bc he isn't one and it could turn into one of the worse contracts in the league.

Hopefully Connor signs long term shortly for about 7 million.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
.....or one of the best.

If he's paid fairly based on his achievements & limitations over three years.........but those achievements are far cry from franchise level salary or at least should be. We're going to find out very soon bc he's about to start to lose pay checks.......then we shall see what his contract is.........I highly suspect we're going to see a bridge b/c Chevy's long term offer will be reflective of his achievements & limitations and I suspect Laine won't love that deal.....so both sides will be happy with a bridge which is fair to both sides. Then Laine has 2-3 years to prove what he thinks he can be but hasn't yet achieved.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If he's paid fairly based on his achievements & limitations over three years.........but those achievements are far cry from franchise level salary or at least should be. We're going to find out very soon bc he's about to start to lose pay checks.......then we shall see what his contract is.........I highly suspect we're going to see a bridge b/c Chevy's long term offer will be reflective of his achievements & limitations and I suspect Laine won't love that deal.....so both sides will be happy with a bridge which is fair to both sides. Then Laine has 2-3 years to prove what he thinks he can be but hasn't yet achieved.
I'd be inclined to overpay Laine on a bridge deal, maybe as high as 7-7.5M AAV for 2 years and sign Connor long-term. Laine is not a typical high end RFA like Connor or Boeser, he's a potentially elite player so I think he should get consideration for a top end bridge to keep him happy with the franchise and primed to sign a long term deal if he emerges as an elite player.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I'd be inclined to overpay Laine on a bridge deal, maybe as high as 7-7.5M AAV for 2 years and sign Connor long-term. Laine is not a typical high end RFA like Connor or Boeser, he's a potentially elite player so I think he should get consideration for a top end bridge to keep him happy with the franchise and primed to sign a long term deal if he emerges as an elite player.

My comment was specific to overpaying or franchise player deal on a long term deal........if it was a bridge for 7-7.5 x 2 I'm fine with that. Even if we get crappy Laine again it doesn't kill us too badly when two years. Hopefully like you say we get better Laine and even better yet an improved Laine......he has a long way to go. Like I said I highly suspect we see a bridge deal for him, which is fair.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Yes lack of line drivers has been an issue which is why you need to spread them out.

Line drivers:

Scheifele
Ehlers
Perrault

To a less extent Wheeler

Defensive players:

Copp
Lowry
Roslovic

Offensive players

Laine
Connor
Ves

Complimentary piece
Little
Appelton

First have one line driver on each of the top 3 lines and fill in around them.

Copp (Defense) Scheifele (Driver) Laine (Offense)

Connor (Offense) Roslovic (Defense) Ehlers/Wheeler (Driver)

Ves (Offense) Little (Compliment) Wheeler/Ehlers (driver)

Perrault (Driver) Lowry (Defense) Appelton (compliment)

When did Roslovic become a defensive player?
That doesn’t jive with his on ice game.
He’s talented and athletic but was mostly on the wrong side of the puck in the d zone

Not that he can’t get there.

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Week away from camp without a word. Laine is definitely holding out and connor will miss most of camp Maybe. Its looking pretty gloom

They are on the same timeline as their RFA cousins around the league. I don't see all of these guys missing games and holding out. I won't worry too much about our guys unless the other domino's fall and we are still in limbo... then it's time to $%^& your pants.
:sarcasm:

Reactions: buggs

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
They are on the same timeline as their RFA cousins around the league. I don't see all of these guys missing games and holding out. I won't worry too much about our guys unless the other domino's fall and we are still in limbo... then it's time to $%^& your pants.
:sarcasm:

I'm only worried about our guys. Last thing we need is two rusty top 6 players going into the season late when it could of been avoided entirely if there was enough money for both

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I'm only worried about our guys. Last thing we need is two rusty top 6 players going into the season late when it could of been avoided entirely if there was enough money for both

Sorry but I trust the True North penny counters more then our internet accountants.

The only way these two guys are signed already is if we were handing out 4 to 5 year term, max AAV with max bonus contracts. If you want the team to badly over pay for players sure.

I've seen you post complaining that the team doesn't have cap space to add. How would signing Laine and Connor to the high side of things help with that?

I want them in camp as much as anyone but understand that this process was never going to be easy. There's essentially collusion between these RFA's to hold out for a "Matthews like" contract. The teams are trying to hold the line to not smash their budget plans and deal with a stagnant cap situation. All parties involved have read the "Art of War" and as fans we have to wait out the BS.

In Connor's case a deal may already be agreed to but Chevy can't pull the trigger until both deals are sorted out as they directly impact each other. We'll see.

Players must be aware of the likely negative impact missing TC or early league games can have on their season. What did Trouba's hold out accomplish for himself?

Reactions: Huffer and Jets 31

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Sorry but I trust the True North penny counters more then our internet accountants.

The only way these two guys are signed already is if we were handing out 4 to 5 year term, max AAV with max bonus contracts. If you want the team to badly over pay for players sure.

I've seen you post complaining that the team doesn't have cap space to add. How would signing Laine and Connor to the high side of things help with that?

I want them in camp as much as anyone but understand that this process was never going to be easy. There's essentially collusion between these RFA's to hold out for a "Matthews like" contract. The teams are trying to hold the line to not smash their budget plans and deal with a stagnant cap situation. All parties involved have read the "Art of War" and as fans we have to wait out the BS.

In Connor's case a deal may already be agreed to but Chevy can't pull the trigger until both deals are sorted out as they directly impact each other. We'll see.

Players must be aware of the likely negative impact missing TC or early league games can have on their season. What did Trouba's hold out accomplish for himself?

I see your points. But we dont even have enough to sign them both to fair long term deals and this IMO is what's causing the hold up. Second I think how laines been treated but that's for another convo.

I agree we can't over pay them. We will keep thinning our roster every year to keep our players which is normal I guess. Ut will there come a time when we have a great time and have the cap space to add to put us over the top like Tampa? That's what I was complaining about

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Not sure what your trying to say that's any different then my post..........I'm just saying Laine is a shooter, who has some significant short comings in his first three years........nothing I've said should be a surprise to you or anyone........there's endless amounts of data & analytics to prove that. I clearly said even players with limitations have a role, like Laine........just can't overpay players like that.......he's not a total package player (yet, likely never will be, albeit he could improve).....he's a one dimensional player who does one thing well "under the right conditions". Players like that shouldn't be overpaid or paid like franchise players.........which is exactly what I said. If he doesn't like the facts and sign a long term deal reflective of his limitations then cool sign a bridge and prove he's more......if he doesn't like that trade him out of here. Laine is an asset, nothing more, nothing less........he can sign for a fair deal or be traded.......couldn't careless which one bc his value still helps the team regardless. The only thing we cannot do is overpay him like a franchise player bc he isn't one and it could turn into one of the worse contracts in the league.

Hopefully Connor signs long term shortly for about 7 million.

I guess what I was trying to say is goal scorers don’t grow on trees.
Goal scorers have traditionally gotten paid in the NHL.
Is signing Laine to big money a risk? Absolutely it is, but if we don’tsomeone else will.
I don’t think Laine forgot how to play the game I think he had a year where he took a step back and still managed 30 goals.
People tend to forget how young he still is and that his best years are ahead.
I won’t argue the usage aspect as I believe Patrik knows he got to bring his best no matter who he plays with and that will be true no matter which team he plays with.
I am hopeful for a bounce back season from Patrik and the rest of the team.
I hope we get both guys signed this week.
GJG

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
So we will have to subtract more players to fit our own again I understand that's what cap teams have to do. I just see tampa adding every single year with so many elite players already and I feel that's the way to go.

Sure the got swept but they will be a powerhouse for years and will keep making trades and signings every year to get better.

I guess whoever wins a cup first between us two shows the right way

Tampa is a bit of a unique case. It's not really a situation or strategy that's repeatable by every team in the league.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
IMHO Connor gets signed long term 7-8 m before camp and then Laine is either traded or offersheeted, but I still think you are living in denial if you think both players will be at camp.

Patrik could also sign a team friendly deal if the jets have a trade ready and waiting.

Maybe I'm wrong but there is a bigger chance of seeing Patrik in a Tappara jersey then a Jets lineup this season.

The Jets need a dman and center badly and Patty wants out, too bad but what can you do?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I see your points. But we dont even have enough to sign them both to fair long term deals and this IMO is what's causing the hold up. Second I think how laines been treated but that's for another convo.

I agree we can't over pay them. We will keep thinning our roster every year to keep our players which is normal I guess. Ut will there come a time when we have a great time and have the cap space to add to put us over the top like Tampa? That's what I was complaining about
You keep going on about us not having enough cap room to sign Laine and Connor and then hold up teams with even less space to sign their RFA's as some standard we should follow. Tampa has done their own cap shedding in moving Miller and Erne and letting Strallman walk and they are still probably a million or 2 short for Points RFA contract and then will have to do some real roster trimming next season when Vasilevskiy's $9.5 M contract kicks in. The Leafs had to use up their 2020 1st to get someone to take on Marleau's $6.25 albatross contract and can't even attempt to sign Marner until after the season starts so they can create room with the LTIR contracts they were forced to buy up. Pretty much it is only the Avs are sitting comfortably waiting on a Rantanen signing and even they haven't even started negotiations as all the RFA's are holding off on any contract discussions waiting for the market to be set.

Reactions: Jets 31 and surixon

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
IMHO Connor gets signed long term 7-8 m before camp and then Laine is either traded or offersheeted, but I still think you are living in denial if you think both players will be at camp.

Patrik could also sign a team friendly deal if the jets have a trade ready and waiting.

Maybe I'm wrong but there is a bigger chance of seeing Patrik in a Tappara jersey then a Jets lineup this season.

The Jets need a dman and center badly and Patty wants out, too bad but what can you do?

If Patty wants out his father won't have come here.
He would have left it with the agent.

He most likely went to the management and see what really is the plan for Laine. Eye to eye.
I believe Laine's dad has the biggest influence in him. In a good way.

By the way all the ones i crossed out are like extreme. No offense intended.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I disagree about Laine. He'll sign a contract and be in the Jets lineup this season. He won't be traded, and he won't play in Europe.

I'd bet he has a bounce-back season and the angst from last year and this offseason will dissipate.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If Patty wants out his father won't have come here.
He would have left it with the agent.

He most likely went to the management and see what really is the plan for Laine. Eye to eye.
I believe Laine's dad has the biggest influence in him. In a good way.

By the way all the ones i crossed out are like extreme. No offense intended.
I would say there is no way Laine's father met separately with Jets management, and I'm very skeptical that he was in Winnipeg recently, at all.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I guess what I was trying to say is goal scorers don’t grow on trees.
Goal scorers have traditionally gotten paid in the NHL.
Is signing Laine to big money a risk? Absolutely it is, but if we don’tsomeone else will.
I don’t think Laine forgot how to play the game I think he had a year where he took a step back and still managed 30 goals.
People tend to forget how young he still is and that his best years are ahead.
I won’t argue the usage aspect as I believe Patrik knows he got to bring his best no matter who he plays with and that will be true no matter which team he plays with.
I am hopeful for a bounce back season from Patrik and the rest of the team.
I hope we get both guys signed this week.
GJG

I fully expect Connor to be signed before the real season starts, Laine might not be and that's his choice.

Reactions: sipowicz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad