Eklund Rumor: Laine wanting to go to ANA or LAK (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Its really too bad that Frank Seravalli started all this by including Laine in his trade bait board. I think Frank should try to be a more real broadcaster rather than fake news correspondent. After all, Frank is a Philly home boy who started all this by "perhaps" hoping that Laine could be traded to the Flyers.
Honestly- and all, maybe, joking aside. Nobody in Winnipeg and hopefully management included, wanted to get rid of a second over-all pick who luckily fell to the Jets in the lottery. My guess is that the Jets don't want to see another Selanne type player get away from them, after all, the Jets were founded by signing the Golden Jet all those years ago...goal scorers are valued more than most other positions because they sell tickets and in Winnipeg it is proven that elite goal scores put those beautiful fans in the arena pews on cold winter nights....and that folks is hockey in Jet town...the one Bobby built.
side note: Most of the prospects mentioned here are the same age as Laine is now...think about that!
Sorry, but Laine is not a comparable to Selanne, other than they are right shot Finns.

Reactions: Rorschach

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
And he has 3 with 29 or more. Point is?

Not sure why you can't accept that:

Hoffman had more goals than Laine last year
Hoffman had more goals than Laine 2 years ago

I am just stating facts that a FA goal scorer was available this offseason who scored like Laine. And it cost ST.L 4 million and 1 year. For any acquiring team of Laine the cost is good assets to get him AND the next contract where he will want 9 million +. That's a hefty price to get dinged twice.
But if you’re acquiring Laine, you’re going well beyond one year of 31 year old player. So trying to compare the goals Laine scored last year vs Hoffman, and comparing the acquiring costs at the same time is very misleading and you know it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Well, what else does Laine contribute to winning other than scoring? If Hoffman scores at a similar rate, then maybe the comparison has some validity? Excepting their ages, of course.
For sure when you talk age, overall play, etc...things change. And it was never about who was better. I simply said that ACQUIRING Laine gets you dinged multiple ways....the cost to acquire and the next contract....where's a FA is just usually an overpay in contract.

And the response was that you could not find a goalssvirer thru FA like Laine. Well Hoffman the last 2 years just did it....and cost nothing to acquire and cost 4 million in cap. That was the entire point.

Ripper

Sep 19, 2006
Sorry, but Laine is not a comparable to Selanne, other than they are right shot Finns.
Point wasn't to compare him to Selanne as a player but more to point out that Winnipeg has always loved their goal scorers. The list is thin since 1972 with Hull, Hederg, MacLean, Tkachuk, Selanne and now Laine..
My belief is Jets sign him after the season for 8 x 9.75mm or else trade him and re-live the Selanne debacle all over again.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Point wasn't to compare him to Selanne as a player but more to point out that Winnipeg has always loved their goal scorers. The list is thin since 1972 with Hull, Hederg, MacLean, Tkachuk, Selanne and now Laine..
My belief is Jets sign him after the season for 8 x 9.75mm or else trade him and re-live the Selanne debacle all over again.
But if Laine is more a Hoffman than a Selanne, maybe he’s not worth the numbers he’s demanding?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
It’s a lot more than the 4 million Hoffman just signed for, don’t you think?
I don’t know, you sound like you have some reported numbers. Maybe you could share them and your source? You’re point was also that Laine is closer to Hoffman that Selanne, are you now saying is equal to or less than Hoffman?

Ripper

Sep 19, 2006
It’s a lot more than the 4 million Hoffman just signed for, don’t you think?
Hoffman got caught up in Covid era slary cap hell and only signed for 1 year. Besides, comparing Laine to Hoffman isn't realistic.
Laine being 22 and competing for the Rocket Richard trophy is way more than what Hoffman will ever be, and...Hoffman is a good player...just saying

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t know, you sound like you have some reported numbers. Maybe you could share them and your source? You’re point was also that Laine is closer to Hoffman that Selanne, are you now saying is equal to or less than Hoffman?
You don’t think there are numbers Laine is insisting upon?
Why does this thread even exist if Laine is happy with his contractual future with the Jets?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hoffman got caught up in Covid era slary cap hell and only signed for 1 year. Besides, comparing Laine to Hoffman isn't realistic.
Laine being 22 and competing for the Rocket Richard trophy is way more than what Hoffman will ever be, and...Hoffman is a good player...just saying
And just like Laine isn’t comparable to Hoffman (Laine being much more valued) he shouldn’t be compared to the great Jets if Selanne and Hull.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Why does this thread even exist if Laine is happy with his contractual future with the Jets?
I have seen zero reports that he and the team are far apart on dollars. If you have seen anything insinuating this please share. Also, are you just glossing over the part where you insinuate that Laine shouldn’t me making more than Hoffman?

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Because of rumors by unscrupulous people like Eklund in the fake media and agents.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
For sure when you talk age, overall play, etc...things change. And it was never about who was better. I simply said that ACQUIRING Laine gets you dinged multiple ways....the cost to acquire and the next contract....where's a FA is just usually an overpay in contract.

And the response was that you could not find a goalssvirer thru FA like Laine. Well Hoffman the last 2 years just did it....and cost nothing to acquire and cost 4 million in cap. That was the entire point.
And then after your one year of Hoffman at 4 million, you're gonna have to go out and try to aquire another 30 goal scorer. But apparently they grow on trees.

Meanwhile, the costs to aquire and retain laine gives you access to AT LEAST a 30 (maybe 40, maybe 50 depending on progression - as you can see by your example Hoffman, players are just starting to hit their stride at Laine's age) goal scorer for 5-8 years without having to either trade assets for another goal scorer or hope you are the one team that the 31 year old 30 goal scorer picks to play for.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I have seen zero reports that he and the team are far apart on dollars. If you have seen anything insinuating this please share. Also, are you just glossing over the part where you insinuate that Laine shouldn’t me making more than Hoffman?
Just because another poster mentioned Laine and Hoffman have similar goal totals that doesn’t mean they are comparable for contract, don’t you think? Or do you think Laine would be satisfied with a four million dollar contract? So either Laine is happy getting Hoffman dollars, or he’s expecting (commanding) a lot more, right? How much more is the question. Would Laine sign with the Jets if they offered 7 million/? Or does he expect closer to 10/?

Ripper

Sep 19, 2006
And just like Laine isn’t comparable to Hoffman (Laine being much more valued) he shouldn’t be compared to the great Jets if Selanne and Hull.
Heres what I'm talking about regarding Laine, He is a goal scoring phenom, and comparing Hoffman to him is a complete farce, Laine will be and is on track to join not only the Jets greats but league greats, anyway at 22 here are Hoffman and Laines' 18-22 year old stats as per Hockeydb.com (BTW-Laine was in the NHL) also Laine is far ahead of any Jet at that age other than Hull
Mike Hoffman 18 to 22 years oldRegular SeasonPlayoffs
SeasonTeamLgeGPGAPtsPIM+/-GPGAPtsPIM
2007-08Gatineau OlympiquesQMJHL19571216-2----------
2007-08Drummondville VoltigeursQMJHL4319173677-19----------
2008-09Drummondville VoltigeursQMJHL6252429486251921133426
2009-10Saint John Sea DogsQMJHL5646398538382111132423
2010-11Binghamton SenatorsAHL747182516-221918916
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Patrick Laine 18 to 22 years oldRegular SeasonPlayoffs
SeasonTeamLgeGPGAPtsPIM+/-GPGAPtsPIM
2016-17Winnipeg JetsNHL73362864267----------
2017-18Winnipeg JetsNHL824426702481757124
2018-19Winnipeg JetsNHL8230205042-2463140
2019-20Winnipeg JetsNHL6828356322810000
[THEAD] [/THEAD]

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Its dwayne so take it for what its worth.
But I would be curious what Kings fan would offer. Ducks I don't see the package where either team would be happy (i.e. no Zegras no Laine).
HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Patrik Laine Has Let It Be Known He Would Extend with Kings or Ducks. (E4)

Mod Warning: Eklund tag on thread, if you don’t want to read Eklund rumour then don’t post in it whining it’s Eklund. Infractions coming for those who do, your just spamming.
Those Winnipeg winters have finally gotten to him.

Off to sunny California:laugh:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Just because another poster mentioned Laine and Hoffman have similar goal totals that doesn’t mean they are comparable for contract, don’t you think? Or do you think Laine would be satisfied with a four million dollar contract? So either Laine is happy getting Hoffman dollars, or he’s expecting (commanding) a lot more, right? How much more is the question. Would Laine sign with the Jets if they offered 7 million/? Or does he expect closer to 10/?
First off you said demanding which is much different, and secondly yes he would ask for more than Hoffman. Hoffman also asked for much more than Hoffman and in any other year deserved it. And you are in here also saying how Laine is much more valuable than Hoffman so...

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And then after your one year of Hoffman at 4 million, you're gonna have to go out and try to aquire another 30 goal scorer. But apparently they grow on trees.

Meanwhile, the costs to aquire and retain laine gives you access to AT LEAST a 30 (maybe 40, maybe 50 depending on progression - as you can see by your example Hoffman, players are just starting to hit their stride at Laine's age) goal scorer for 5-8 years without having to either trade assets for another goal scorer or hope you are the one team that the 31 year old 30 goal scorer picks to play for.
Orrrrrr

You re-sign Hoffman because he had a good year....or cut bait to use the cap elsewhere.

Orrrrr Laine now has the acquiring team under the gun. They just traded away a bunch of assets for him and he plays out this year and is due a big contract. He gets what he wants or he just goes to arbitration for a year and becomes a UFA. So the acquiring team could have him for a year, then possibly have to trade him for rental prices.

Lots of scenarios.

This past offseason, I would 100% rather Hoffman for 1 year at 4 million than the cost to acquire Laine along with the pending contract to follow next offseason.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Orrrrrr

You re-sign Hoffman because he had a good year....or cut bait to use the cap elsewhere.

Orrrrr Laine now has the acquiring team under the gun. They just traded away a bunch of assets for him and he plays out this year and is due a big contract. He gets what he wants or he just goes to arbitration for a year and becomes a UFA. So the acquiring team could have him for a year, then possibly have to trade him for rental prices.

Lots of scenarios.

This past offseason, I would 100% rather Hoffman for 1 year at 4 million than the cost to acquire Laine along with the pending contract to follow next offseason.
You don’t even know that Laine has 2 years of control after this year.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
LA is not looking to trade a chunk of their premium futures for a player like Patrik Laine. He's no Mike Richards and, as another Kings poster mentioned, our young players/prospects are not on the cusp of taking over the Kings in their low to mid 20s, which is when we acquired Richards. So that's a double-no for trading for Laine (not the right player and our team is not ready).

We're looking for a special, culture-player/s in their prime, in a couple of years, to come in to bring the Cup to LA like Richards was back in 2010/2011. We're not looking for a kid to bring his pale ass to the beach and to TwitchCon in Anaheim. We're looking for leadership, in a couple of years. We're not paying the Richards-level price people are proposing for a limited player like Laine.

Laine is more of a Jeff Carter than a Richards, who we paid a down-trending Jack Johnson and a mid-first rounder while we had Voynov to replace Johnson in the wings. Carter was already signed to a terrific price, longterm and was in his mid 20s, and didn't cost anywhere near what people are proposing for Laine. Signing Laine as a UFA in a few years is more our bag, baby, since he is a finishing piece like Raccoon Jesus said and if he really wants to play here, we can have some control on the price.

Maybe...Columbus should get him for PLD. That sounds like a good deal for Winnipeg. Then LA can just raid Lumbus again when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad