Eklund Rumor: Laine wanting to go to ANA or LAK (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah, me too. I rushed through that one.
But anyways, I don't think it's a big deal. It's just like, some people might think Laine has some issues that they don't want on their team. Doesn't necessarily mean they are true, just like Hoffman.
Oh I’m not saying Laine doesn’t have his own issues but the Hoffman incident is much more concerning than anything Laine has been through

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Elite level troll wouldn't have you questioning authenticity, you'd be too busy expending fumes out your ears.

Interesting to see Laine generally being so underrated though. Still, he's 7th in goals since entering the league, had 2 elite seasons by pretty much any metric (including 5v5 goal differential), 1 really bad season and 1 good season (19-20). He's still only 22 years old. Granted, hard to not feel disappointed about his career trajectory since 17-18, he looked a lock for perennial rocket contention, but I don't think people realize how young he still is, a lot of people seem to view him as past his prime. Which of course could be possible in case the rumored back issues are true and actually really severe or there's some other problem like that, but plenty of guys explode to another tier in his age range (22-25)
Pretty bang on here with this assessment

Reactions: Husqvarna

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hollywood hunk

upload_2021-1-11_22-59-33.jpeg

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
There is zero chance they protect Shattenkirk over Manson. I would bet my house on it.

You're ignoring the other options which include, among other things, trading one of the four. And Manson would be the primary guy to be traded.

I believe Shattenkirk's contract is structured for the expansion. He makes significantly more after it than before. My (all Ducks fans) guess is that Lindholm/Fowler/Manson will be protected, Shat will have a contract that Seattle won't be too tempted to take.

His contract was structured that way due to COVID. Players are receiving reduced salaries 2020-21 due to the game reduction, so players wanted a lower number in that year. An expansion team will have virtually no concern about AAV or for that matter actual dollars.

If he's exposed, Shattenkirk will be one of the most attractive players available regardless of his age. If nothing else, he can be picked and traded.

Somehow I doubt the Org views Manson that way. That's a narrative here on HF. Shattenkirk is the oldest. I imagine that this year will be determine who gets protected and who doesn't. They could also go 4x4 if they feel the D are more important than the forward they might lose.

The ducks cold go 4x4. If they do that, it means Henrique, Heinen, Milano, Max Jones, Getzlaf, Derek Grant, and Lundestrom are all likely exposed. That's assuming they protect Silfverberg, Rakell, Terry, and Steel. Maybe they trade Rakell and free up another slot.

So it comes down to keeping Manson/Shatt over two of those guys.

I agree lots depends on how things play out this year. But if Manson doesn't return to form, I can see him being traded.

Shatt, he will be 32. Drysdale can hopefully slide into that role.

Drysdale is not going to be ready until 2022-23, at the earliest.

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
The ducks cold go 4x4. If they do that, it means Henrique, Heinen, Milano, Max Jones, Getzlaf, Derek Grant, and Lundestrom are all likely exposed. That's assuming they protect Silfverberg, Rakell, Terry, and Steel. Maybe they trade Rakell and free up another slot.
Getzlaf will be a ufa, so no need to expose or protect him and his nmc.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If I were Chevy, I would hold onto him, play him with Scheifele, in the North Division. Laine could really be scary this year. His value would skyrocket already higher than what it is.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
If I were Chevy, I would hold onto him, play him with Scheifele, in the North Division. Laine could really be scary this year. His value would skyrocket already higher than what it is.

I dont think it matters that much valuewise. Those Who are after him, are after him for the shot, which is already proven.

I think Jets have done the right thing, by matching him with high quality playmaker. There would be absolutely zero point trying To minimize his value or annoy him with bottom line defensive role.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Two Finnish NHL journalists doing a season preview radio show said with conviction that the reason is Wheeler.
Wheeler does seem like an odd bird to be wearing the C.

It seemed for awhile that he dictated what the top lines should be and that Maurice just had to follow.

Last edited:

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Two Finnish NHL journalists doing a season preview radio show said with conviction that the reason is Wheeler.
Two Finnish NHL journalists should feel right at home in an Eklund -thread.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It could be Lil' Patty doesn't like Wheeler's intense approach to game preparation and the like. That could rub a free spirit like Laine the wrong way.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wheeler does seem like an odd bird to be wearing the C.

It seemed for awhile that he dictated what the top lines should be and that Maurice just had to follow.
Last year Wheeler played 2C for most of the season, while Laine had more ice time and played mainly as the 1 RW with Scheifele. Hard to know how Maurice could survive defying Wheeler like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad