Post-Game Talk: Laine TKO over Matthews - Jets Win 5-4 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
"I'm not very good at 2-on-1s from the right side, so I shot."

:laugh:

Nothing wrong with chirping Leaf fans walking out :)

Until their mom tells the media and it ends up on the national news. :/

Wheeler should stand in front of the net, Laine would take Wheeler's spot. Why would Laine be in front of the net? Come on.

Wheeler's out of place. He used to be net front and Little was the shooter/where Wheeler is now. They certainly haven't got into much of a groove since Ladd was traded, either.

I see a noticeable absence of the jet fighter helmet?

Ah. Laine was already having the helmet himself and was the one to award it to someone else after this game. He gave it to Hutch for the OT save.

As you mentioned, he already had it (they only give it out for wins) thus gave it away. I saw it on top of his stall before the game so I was wondering who he'd give it to. Great choice in Hutch.

Awesome! :)

You know where I can see videos of the game with Jets commentary. That SN commentary which is in hnl.com is not really working for me.

That call was from the radio. Unfortunately everyone gets the national call.

Jets media dept. must have edited it together just for that clip. TSN sometimes puts together (homer) radio calls with goals on Sportscentre.

Though I haven't seen it in a while, they used to do highlight reels of dejected opponent homer-radio calls on Jets highlights between periods on the Jets games, too. :laugh:

Haha, absolutely love that call by Beyak. :laugh:

He went full-Jeaneret there. :biglaugh:

Maybe its my eyes, but doesn't look like Buff is a big fan of Laine getting all the goals.

- Tying goal, all the players including Wheeler rush to celebrate with him and Buff skates slowly over to the group
- OT goal (Jets feed with Beyak's call) all the players around Laine and Buff is away from the group.

Edit: I take it back. Buff is in the group for the overtime goal initially

May have gone back to Hutch. :dunno:

Ya. I hear you.

The Sportsnet commentary, was, basically, "Laine, a sad shell of his former self after failing to land in much exalted Toronto, fights back tears as he thinks back on that sad day, ahhh, that plucky but inferior number two. He drags his sorry ass up the wing against the glorious Leafs, and WTF?"

...paraphrasing, but that's pretty close.

:biglaugh:

I said this in the GDT but Stafford is scaring me. I am nervous if this is a Jokinen/Clarkson esque fall off the cliff. He's never looked this bad. It looks like he can't make a play to save his life right now. Hope he improves. We need him to be better as he is not getting scratched anytime soon

What PS said:

No worries this is absolutely vintage Stafford. This is exactly how his game is but he will go on a scoring steak any time now and make the average fan forget. He is dynamite from the faceoff dots down in the attacking zone and has those sweet mits that make people forget he is a liability from the Faceoff dots back to his own net in the attacking zone :laugh:

It's as Stafford, is, as Stafford was promised by Sabres fans, and as Stafford is in both my dreams and nightmares.

He'll disappear for weeks then put up multiple two-goal games in a week.

Heh. Reading the HFLeafs GDT right now. Lots of angst there, as to be expected. What I also find amusing is their hatred of Jets fans chanting at opposing teams and players. What, are we supposed to sit on our hands like they do at the ACC?

They're not sitting on their hands at the ACC. They're catching up on financial lobbying... :naughty:

:biglaugh:

Coasts invisible, turns visible just before the boom time. What exactly do these guys think that stealth fighter pic on the jersey is trying to warn about?

Truthfully, you're right, though. The best goal scorers find the softest ice. Even when it's the spot everyone knows they're going to...

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
There's nothing more entertaining on here right now than going back to the game day thread while we were 4-0 down. Man, the bailing on this team, the coach, the management, and Laine was monumental to say the least.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
There's nothing more entertaining on here right now than going back to the game day thread while we were 4-0 down. Man, the bailing on this team, the coach, the management, and Laine was monumental to say the least.

At one point there I took pains to clearly state my position to jets management, and that seemed to help. Shortly after that the nature of the game changed in a big way. Sometimes it helps to simply clarify your desires...

Here we go - "I'm not entirely sure the Winnipeg Jets Organization quite grasps the gravity of this situation here. I'm not happy. I really look forward to watching these games. It's important to me. But a critical component of my enjoyment is that we win occasionally. I really like that part of it! More of that please ok? Thanks." - Sensibleguy, shortly before the Jets mounted an epic third period come-from-behind victory over the hated Leaves.

You're all very welcome!

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is what I have been thinking this week. We are a team who has long had our troubles taking the next step. We've went from an awful team who couldn't get it together under Noel, no organization depth in the form of prospects or NHL players (supporting cast). We were essentially a one line team of Ladd - Little - Wheeler / Enstrom - Byfuglien with awful goaltending (Pavelec). We eventually built some NHL roster depth coupled with some youth (Scheifele, Trouba) and evolved to a team that seemed to find their groove, footing and identity under Maurice (big, heavy, fast, strong possession, etc). Made the playoffs on that identity but we failed and bowed out early. It appears after that playoff appearance management shifted the gears as it didn't appear that group or mold would be what brought the organization consistent, long-term success. The switch seemed to be flipped for the 2015-16 season as more youth was introduced. We struggled mightily last season, took our punches and were rewarded with a lottery pick (Laine). Which in return appears like it's going to be a game changer for this organization.

Vets Wheeler, Little, Byfuglien, Enstrom, Perreault, Myers coupled with youth in Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Armia, and a prospect system still consisting of Petan, Dano, Roslovic, Lemieux, Comrie, Copp, De Leo, Stanley, etc.. are what this group will ride or die on in the coming years. And Chevy making the right roster moves when needed to compliment this group, fill gaps, and help lift them to the next level when they prove worthy. Chevy hasn't been perfect in his role as GM to this point, he's made his mistakes and he's called some good shots and made some nice moves. Name me a perfect GM who utilizes a "plan" from start to finish with perfection, it isn't easy to do. Even Dean Lombardi had his critics in LA before it all came together. No plan is the perfect plan until you hoist Lord Stanley, then it all feels worth it and makes sense.

All of that being said, as poor as last years team was, this years team in comparison is minus Ladd (We got Stanley + Dano in return, both not on the NHL roster), Little (Injured), Trouba (Holding out). Those are all top line, reliable players who played big key roles. You take last years team, subtract Ladd, Little, Trouba and you essentially replace them with Laine (Ladd), Morrissey (Trouba) and nobody for Little given the circumstances (injured in game 1, our indefinitely). We're going to take our fair share of punches here this season until younger players grow into some pretty heavy and demanding roles (and Little returns).

What I am envisioning this year is a young team who will struggle through the first half of the season. Ups, downs, blown leads, dramatic comebacks, good nights, bad nights. There will be frustrating nights but there will also be some really, really exciting nights. I never turn the tv off no matter the score this year because these young kids are just too much fun to watch, in my opinion. I want to see our team systems and special teams become competent and improve (very soon, a lot of it is coaching), and I want to see the young players on this team become more comfortable and adjusted in their new roles as NHL'ers, as well as our vets lead and be contributing players leading the pack. Then, ideally, in the second half of this season we go on a run and things begin clicking and coming together nicely (wishful thinking, I know) but I think it can happen. Perhaps we make the playoffs (doubtful in my opinion), perhaps we just miss the mark by a few/handful of points. But I want to see the above happen and an identity with this group be formed.

Goaltending also has to be solidified, and it should be with Connor Hellebuyck now on the roster full-time. We need him to take the reins and be 'the guy'. Or Hutch, but the future is no doubt on Hellebuyck and it's his crease to have if he can carry the load and prove his worth.

Next year I hope we can really hit the ground running, as the entire team returns (for the most part - Stafford, Thorburn, Postma, Pavelec UFA's July 1st 2017, and we will lose one player (of minimal impact) to the expansion draft). I expect growing pains this year but next season (2017-18) I expect results and for the team to hit the ground running --- no excuses. If they struggle out of the gate next season I think Maurice is gone. The years that follow (2018-19, 2019-20, etc) I expect to take our place in the upper echelon of teams contending for Lord Stanley.

If this doesn't happen then it's time for management and ownership to look in the mirror because their blueprint of a draft and develop team won't be worth a lick if they don't turn this thing around in the next couple seasons to results. No GM, management group or plan needs 10 years to finally become relevant so this either works and comes together in the next year or two or I think the pitchforks come out in Winnipeg and Chevy, Chipman and co. will have a fan base demanding change and results.

This is a great post Guerzy. Thanks for taking the time. I'd add 1 thing. How the Trouba situation gets resolved may be Chevy's defining moment. If Chevy can somehow either get Trouba back in the fold or convert him into another top pairing D will IMO be a vital piece going forward.

Waldemarsonson

Oct 20, 2016
YMFLBvC.gif

How I, and imagine many of you felt watching the game.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
This is a great post Guerzy. Thanks for taking the time. I'd add 1 thing. How the Trouba situation gets resolved may be Chevy's defining moment. If Chevy can somehow either get Trouba back in the fold or convert him into another top pairing D will IMO be a vital piece going forward.

Trouba who? :sarcasm:

Kidding :laugh: ... You're exactly right. As an up and coming team (hopefully) who prides itself on drafting and developing as the main organizational building component, a young player like Trouba or comparable replacement is crucial.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

I am happy to report that all I said was "40m left. Go Jets!" ;)

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I said this after 4 - 0 :

How embarrassing. Lottery team again this year. I was so pumped for hockey and get this ******** product. TV off see ya

I couldn't help myself and tuned back in for the 3rd period haha. It's like having a fight with your girlfriend and then not being able to stay angry for very long. That, and I couldn't keep watching the debate because that made me want to punch someone in the face a lot more than sports.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I said this after 4 - 0 :

I couldn't help myself and tuned back in for the 3rd period haha. It's like having a fight with your girlfriend and then not being able to stay angry for very long. That, and I couldn't keep watching the debate because that made me want to punch someone in the face a lot more than sports.

And let that be your lesson :sarcasm: There is always a reason to watch hockey. This isn't directed at you winnipegger, but IMO where the team is falling down (systems/defense/special teams) can be taught and learned. Talent you either have or you don't and this team has talent. Lots of it. I just don't get the avalanche of angst/despair/anger for such a young team and the throwing of darts at them moment by moment and play by play during a single game. Sure some of the worst players are a couple fading vets, but that isn't our future. Our future...the kids will be a roller coaster but one worth watching.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Maurice, take note. Stop making these guys think so much and LET THEM PLAY! They're really good when they're not overthinking everything.

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
Yo Jets fans, Leafs fan chiming in:

I know for sure the two fan bases were going at it with the chirps leading up with this game and I know we were all real cocky when it was 4-0. Your boys made it interesting and to be honest when Laine ended it in OT I had to take a minute to appreciate the poetic justice. It's too bad we don't face each other that often cause that was a fun game.

A lot of us noticed just how big and overpowering the Jets were last night. You guys have a solid mix of vets and young players and the central might not be as set in stone as in past years. Best of luck this season!

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Yo Jets fans, Leafs fan chiming in:

I know for sure the two fan bases were going at it with the chirps leading up with this game and I know we were all real cocky when it was 4-0. Your boys made it interesting and to be honest when Laine ended it in OT I had to take a minute to appreciate the poetic justice. It's too bad we don't face each other that often cause that was a fun game.

A lot of us noticed just how big and overpowering the Jets were last night. You guys have a solid mix of vets and young players and the central might not be as set in stone as in past years. Best of luck this season!

Interesting analysis! I see our team as getting less big and overpowering and more speedy and skilled (although most of our guys aren't tiny). The Leafs definitely showed a lot of potential last night and even if Matthews has a quiet game (hell even if this season is quiet for him) he has enormous potential and I am still envious of the talent you guys got in him.

Different players but both studs.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting analysis! I see our team as getting less big and overpowering and more speedy and skilled (although most of our guys aren't tiny). The Leafs definitely showed a lot of potential last night and even if Matthews has a quiet game (hell even if this season is quiet for him) he has enormous potential and I am still envious of the talent you guys got in him.

Different players but both studs.

Still the tallest team in the NHL

Dennis Beyak

Tight Turns!
Sep 30, 2014
Westman
I don't know if it was mentioned earlier or not, but Beyak's call on 1290 of the OT winner was a transcendent moment. He completely lost himself, voice breaking apart as he screamed Laine's name. My username and avatar was always just a silly joke, but he burned that goal into my memory forever, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad