Laine just got crushed by McCabe [mod warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustonMarner*

Dec 26, 2016
Toronto
The thing that bothers me the most is the enjoyment some are getting out of a young man being hurt. That's easily the sickest part of this thread and incident. The fans in Buffalo were actually cheering the whole time. Even when he lay on the ice out cold.

They are paying money for it, and it's becoming very soft hockey lately. Go back to 80s and 90s, and you will see this kind of hits every game. If you don't know, watch some of Philly games.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So you don't care about head contact in any case. Well I guess we know your stance on head contact. All for it!
You can't completely eliminate contact to the head that is incidental. McCabe didn't go in with the intention of colliding into Laine with his own helmet. Its contact sport, these things will happen on legal hits.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The thing that bothers me the most is the enjoyment some are getting out of a young man being hurt. That's easily the sickest part of this thread and incident. The fans in Buffalo were actually cheering the whole time. Even when he lay on the ice out cold.

thats bull

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think any amount of bulking up can help you when you get a helmet to the jaw.

True. Irrelevant to this incident, but true. There was no helmet to Laine's jaw here though. Their faces collided after the chest, lined up so Laine's visor actually cut McCabes fave just under his eye.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
This is all on Scheifele. Wrong time to pass, only thing Laine can do is take the hit, which he btw saw coming.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You can't completely eliminate contact to the head that is incidental. McCabe didn't go in with the intention of colliding into Laine with his own helmet. Its contact sport, these things will happen on legal hits.

He just said who cares though so he is obviously all for head contact. We have absolutely no idea what McCabes intentions were.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Bulking up might deter the hitter, but it doesn't really do much. Lindros was a freak. Primeau was also huge. You have to be aware of where the defender is.

understood your point

but Scott Stevens can hit anybody and they will be done.

Laine is not physically matured enough, it's all what i meant.

He was not able to absorb the hit, and the head to head looks like did most of the damage not the body blow.

But he is up and walking so hope all is well.
The kid is so fun to watch

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

I was at the game today. This is a blatant lie.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
They are paying money for it, and it's becoming very soft hockey lately. Go back to 80s and 90s, and you will see this kind of hits every game. If you don't know, watch some of Philly games.

Different time and place in history. Ive been watching hockey for.over 30+ years. Things evolve and change. Should we tell women to stay in the kitchen too?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

same fans that cheered losing at games

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He just said who cares though so he is obviously all for head contact. We have absolutely no idea what McCabes intentions were.
It was a clean hit, concussion happen on clean hits. If the head isn't targeted and you skate right into it, it is not an illegal hit. He wasn't blindsided by the NHL's definition.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario

Don't distort things here. They cheered because there was a nice big open ice hit followed by a brawl. That would get any fans blood pumping. Let's not try and deny that Winnipeg fans don't cheer after Big Buff lays a monsterous hit.

The whole arena went silent after the brawl cleared up and Laine skated off the ice. In fact there was some cheering to indicate they are happy he was able to get up, with sticks tapping.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015

Have you ever seen a Scott Stevens hit? McCabe's hit was weak. He literally stood there and positioned himself for the hit. There's clearly no intent to injure.

If you can't accept the fact that there's a physical element to hockey you should just go watch figure skating.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Different time and place in history. Ive been watching hockey for.over 30+ years. Things evolve and change. Should we tell women to stay in the kitchen too?

I wouldn't doubt if these guys actually agree with your last point.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Daximus

True. Irrelevant to this incident, but true. There was no helmet to Laine's jaw here though. Their faces collided after the chest, lined up so Laine's visor actually cut McCabes fave just under his eye.

Looks like a helmet to the jaw to me in the replay.

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
No they absolutely cheer through the whole thing. Buffalo fans are classy like that.

That's just plain disgraceful. Wow. A hit, yeah cheer for it, but if he's laying out cold on the ice? Wow. No class. Looks like there's at least some respectful classy Buffalo fans on here though, wishing him well. That's good to see. I hope he's not hurt too bad and has a speedy recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad