Laine is the best pure scorer in NHL?

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I'm making this statement based on performances since the beginning of last year. Specifically, we're talking about SCORING. Goals, buddeh.

Since the beginning of last season, nobody is better than Kucherov and Matthews in Goals per 60.
Matthews scores goals at 4% higher rate per 60 than Anders Lee. That is not being in a league of his own.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I feel like there is a bit of a mixed message here. Is it the goals that matter, or the goals per 60? They aren’t the same thing.
Well since Kucherov and Matthews are 1 & 2 in Goals since the beginning of last season, just further emphasizes things doesn't it?

I'd also like to point out that 41 of Matthews' 50 NHL goals are at Even Strength. That's just incredible.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
The NHL wasn't operating when Ovechkin was Laine's age. Pointless argument anyway, as Laine is unlikely to match Ovechkin's goalscoring numbers when it's all said and done.
How do you know this?

High probability is no, but there is a chance. If usage of Laine replaces wheeler starting next year.
Who knows.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
If we asked who was the best goal scorer between mike bossy, paval bure, and brett hull would we get 50% to agree?

Honestly why does it matter? Greatness is greatness. As a bruin fan we have marchand and pastrnak we feel will score 35-40 goals for us. As a fan im happy. What do i care if matthews or laine or ovechkin are technically 'better' scorers?

Maybe if the question was about who the best player was i might think its worth arguing. But goal scoring relies alot on luck. Better linemates... bounces of the puck... icetime... health... x factor how often you run into hot goalie or get shadowed by a checker having a great game.

Laine is a hell of a talent and winnipeg fans should be happy they have him. For my money i will expect kucherov to end up with more goals over the next 5 years but both guys look solid bets to be top 10 goal scorers for the next decade

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
True. The meltdowns if one of yall ever wins a cup is gonna be hilarious on here

you know how it works, right?

win one game, and the team is destined for the cup
but lose the next night, and it's time to fire the whole roster and rebuild

just the way the ball rolls round here ;)

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Matthews is NOT ahead of Ovechkin.

GOt a few more goals then him last year, Ovechkin is still 2nd in the league in goals right now in his 12th season.

THE GUY HAS 600 GOALS!

Every single thread about someone else or who's the best at becomes a Matthews thread.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Matthews is NOT ahead of Ovechkin.

GOt a few more goals then him last year, Ovechkin is still 2nd in the league in goals right now in his 12th season.

THE GUY HAS 600 GOALS!

Every single thread about someone else or who's the best at becomes a Matthews thread.
Ovechkin still easily has the top spot.

He averages 4.75 shots/game this year. If he keeps averaging that much and shoots at his career sh% of 12.4 for the rest of the way, he will score 53 goals. There is one king in the league when it comes to goal scoring and shot generation.

FWIW, Matthews actually has slightly less shots/game than last year so it's doubtful he scores much more than 40 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad