Injury Report: Laine injury PANIC! PANIC! OH GOD PANIC! thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Of course it's a part of the game. All I'm saying is that there are different ways and styles to play the game, and players make a career out of playing to their strenghts. For guys like Hendricks or Tanev, their willingness to throw themselves in front of shots is a part of their game that keeps them in the lineup.

The guys who make a living of eating pucks usually face the shooter instead of turning sideways like Laine does. I've noticed him doing it before and it's something he needs to work on. Players are well protected on the front, but when they turn sideways, the shinguards and skates offer much less protection. I know that it's a fast game and Laine had bad luck, but he should do it right, or not do it at all. Look at guys like Jagr and Selanne – they played smart and rarely blocked shots. They were more useful in other areas of the game…
Jagr and Selanne came up in a different era - where your high skill players were just there to create offense. Not saying it's right or wrong, but your skill players today are expected to defend, and often PK too.

The Russian Rocket

Nov 18, 2017
You said actually "with this news" now you moved the goalposts. Whatever
Yes, I stated those words based on realistic assumptions from the 4-14 days news. And later specified, that by that comment, I presumed he'll miss atleast 4 games. But yeah whatever...

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Yes, I stated those words based on realistic assumptions from the 4-14 days news. And later specified, that by that comment, I presumed he'll miss atleast 4 games. But yeah whatever...

The Rocket race is far from over. It was also far from over with the news. Today is day 3 so even taking the low estimate of 4 days it would not be unrealistic to play on Sunday

Reactions: Shaibu

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan

Kirk :Regulation 46A: "If communications are being monitored during battle..."

Saavik: "... no uncoaded messages on an open frequency".

(To Spock) You lied.

Spock: I exaggerated.

I am curious as to why there were hidden cameras followin us during my tenure as first officer of the Enterprise. My assumption is to accumulate footage for training purposes.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
What does fecal matter have to do with hockey?
giphy.gif

Reactions: Howard Chuck

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Kirk :Regulation 46A: "If transmissions are being monitored during battle..."

Saavik: "... no uncoded messages on an open channel".

(To Spock) You lied.

Spock: "I exaggerated."

Kirk: "Hours instead of days...counting minutes instead of hours."

Enterprise vs Reliant in the Mutara Nebula is possibly the best Starship battle ever filmed (and this is coming from a massive Star Wars fan). The shot of the Enterprise appearing aft of the Reliant for a final ass-kicking still makes me give a cheer.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Spock to enterprise..... Spock to enterprise....no intelligent life here. Beam me up ;)

Reactions: Spock

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Why would you have these kind of scorers blocking shots ??- Gretzky and guys like him didn't do that type of thing, and were always in the lineup. Let the "blue collar" players do this--and we have lot's of them.

It's very difficult for Copp or Tanev to block shots when the Ehlers-Stastny-Laine line is on the ice.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
What would Ovi do.......let’s see........great things in the regular season that will get him into the hall of fame but come up short year after year when it actually counts.

Take your time Pate the real season starts in 3 weeks.

Rocket is indeed Ovie's SC. There's no way around that fact.

If Laine returns for the Ducks game I got the feeling that he will end up winning the Rocket. I say a tie with Ovie. That's how it's looking to me right now.

Reactions: ps241

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

If Laine returns for the Ducks game I got the feeling that he will end up winning the Rocket. I say a tie with Ovie. That's how it's looking to me right now.

At this point, especially if Laine plays today, either could win - basically a toss up. Players go hot or cold all the time, let's just hope Ovi goes cold and Laine stays hot :nod:
There are some other guys catching up as well.

Reactions: Mestaruus

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I now think he should keep that beard next season and beyond. It's an iconic look that no other NHL player has, it could be his thing.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Jagr and Selanne came up in a different era - where your high skill players were just there to create offense. Not saying it's right or wrong, but your skill players today are expected to defend, and often PK too.
You can check their stats if you want. They both had very few blocks ever since the leauge started to keep stats on them. I think that the risk/reward ratio is pretty bad when blocking shots and they probably thought so too, judging by their shot blocking stats.

Of course there are high danger situations in crucial games when you throw everything you've got in front of the puck, but as a rule of thumb Laine should just face the shot and try to get a stick in the lane instead of doing soccer saves with his feet.

Reactions: Ippenator

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey

Hopefully one or the other wins it outright, even though its so close. My money is on Laine. Tie would be the worst, like in 2009-2010 when Stammer and Sid both ended up with 51 goals, with Stammer tying Sid on an EN goal :thumbd:

Reactions: Mestaruus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad