Laine goal production in 2021/22 season?

How many goals does Laine get in 2021/22

• Total voters

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well no matter how bad of a season Laine has it won't be as bad as this take.

Took 30-39 without a good center.

And last season when he was terrible he paced for 43 points over 82 games. He’d probably need to be about 15 lower to be anywhere close to being out of the NHL.

I didn’t vote because I have absolutely no idea. I think it’s a big unknown how Laine will play, but he absolutely is not close to being out of the league.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Gonna go with 37 goals. New coaching and Werenski is talented enough to truly run the PP (with Jones gone all prime opportunities are Werenski’s and Voracek is a good setup man and Bjorkstrand is another scoring option. They have enough fire power for a very good powerplay

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
He just comes across as a guy who really does not love playing in the NHL, he has all the pieces in place for a great summer training camp with Barkov but I just don't think he really cares enough to get in top shape.

Reactions: libertarian

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I think he has another "bad" season, by his standards. 25 goals.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
CBJ is in a rebuld and he's not one to drive his line. I would say most likely 20-30. If he scores in this range and improves several other areas of his game that would be a successful season.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
30-40. Longer season with a somewhat more normal off season. Full year in Columbus, and with Atkinson guy, might get more opportunity.

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Not sure how anyone can seriously select an option below 20-30 considering he was on pace for 21 last season despite a mid season trade and an extremely volatile relationship with Tortorella

His relationship with Larsen will be 10x better and if Larsen puts him in a position to succeed, I can see him putting up at least 30 and pushing 35-40 although that depends on the performance of his linemates

His contract status is also a huge incentive for him to work towards a bounceback performance, I highly doubt he wants to be stuck in Columbus and so he'll need to prove his worth to other teams that would have to break the bank to pry him away

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
If the left handed Wrenski is running the PP from the point that pretty much wastes Laine.

Depends on how they'd want to set it up. If Werenski stays on the left side and they run two point men, it wouldn't be ideal for Laine, though Voracek will still likely be there as the cross-ice pass on the other half-wall. If they play Werenski on his off-side for a better shooting option or let him roam at the line and put two guys down low, it gives more options for Voracek to pass to either for the shot or for Werenski to pass to Laine. Not as ideal as a righty, but it still gives one-time options.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Depends on how they'd want to set it up. If Werenski stays on the left side and they run two point men, it wouldn't be ideal for Laine, though Voracek will still likely be there as the cross-ice pass on the other half-wall. If they play Werenski on his off-side for a better shooting option or let him roam at the line and put two guys down low, it gives more options for Voracek to pass to either for the shot or for Werenski to pass to Laine. Not as ideal as a righty, but it still gives one-time options.

If Laine is not the #1 shooting option it’s a mistake. If you have Laine I really don’t see how you don’t run the Caps PP. Voracek running the PP from the RW wall, and Laine at the top of the LW circle. I dont see Wrenski even being on the PP1 because if the PK takes away Laine that is most likely to open the point for a one timer and you can’t do that with a left handed point man. Werenski as a left handed player also can’t make the pass to Laine without telegraphing it. If you are expecting Laine to make a tape to tape pass back the other way it isn’t happening. The league knows if you pressure Laine he will cough it up. You will watch Laine ring it around the boards behind the net back to Voracek just like he did on the Jets to minimize his mistakes.

Reactions: Monk

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Laine is the biggest wildcard this year. He could be all over the place. And I'm not sure what would actually be best for his career. If his total is too low, he could basically end up anywere in the fututre, if it's too high he could end up being forced to sign a long term deal in Columbus which would be terrible for his fututre. The best option might be somewere inbetween were his totals are pretty solid but ultimately Columbus sees it's best to move him at the trade deadline.

Another big worry is the coach Brad Larsen, as he's the reason Laine got benched and there could be some bad blood between them. This could mean that Larsen won't use Laine to his fullest potential and try and ruin Laine's future instead.

But lets say Laine gets to play on the 1st line and 1st powerplay all season with Voracek actually feeding him somewhat successfully 35+ goals shouldn't be impossible. Laine could even be able to set a new Columbus single season record in goals. At least Laine might get a good start to the season with Arizona Seattle and Detroit being the first 3 opponents and they're all terrible teams this year. And then following it up with Carolina and Dallas in the 5th and 6th game of the season, who Laine has had some success against during his career so far. Only Islanders will be a bad fit in the first 6 games as Laine has been terrible against them.

I know you get off on being a provocateur so I would like to ask if you really think a coach would try to ruin a players career?

I wavered and am still doing so whether it will be 10-20 or 20-30. I ended up going with the 10-20 option as I just don't see the care factor involved with this player. I don't think he'll be in the NHL within 3 years though I wouldn't be prepared to bet on it.

Last edited:

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
something between 15-60, probably about 36. Columbus is better team than most people think

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I know you get off on being a provocateur so I would like to ask if you really think a coach would try to ruin a players career?

I wavered and am still doing so whether it will be 10-20 or 20-30. I ended up going with the 10-20 option as I just don't see the care factor involved with this player. I don't think he'll be in the NHL within 3 years though I wouldn't be prepared to bet on it.
All you need to look at is how people in general act, NHL coaches are no exception. There's plenty of people who are out to ruin other people, especially if they've gotten offended or have been in an argument or fight with the other person. We know Laine got benched by Tortorella for what he said to Larsen. So what he said to Larsen would have had to be pretty bad in order to get suspended. We don't know what kind of person Larsen is, but if he's petty and revengeful, it will spell trouble for Laine moving forward. Hopefully he's not and Laine still has a chance to succeed moving forward. But Laine has already had 2 coaches who's been detrimental to his development, he doesn't need a 3rd...

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
CBJ is in a rebuld and he's not one to drive his line. I would say most likely 20-30. If he scores in this range and improves several other areas of his game that would be a successful season.
No it wouldn't! If Laine plays all 82 games and gets at least 19 minutes of icetime per game, anything less than 35 goals will be seen as a huge disappointment! Laine is a goal scorer, it's as simple as that. You need to focus on Laine's strenghts and protect his weaknesses if you want the best out of him. Use him heavily on the powerplay and make sure you run a powerplay were Laine gets the puck and can shoot as much as possible. Play him with players that are good on the rush were they can get the puck to Laine for a quick shot. Use Laine in games were he's in a position to score empty net goals. If he can pad his stats, he'll feel better and play much better. Give him the option to cheat on defense and you'll see him score a few nice ones every now and then 5 on 5 too! If you do this, Laine might develop into something really special! :)

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
All you need to look at is how people in general act, NHL coaches are no exception. There's plenty of people who are out to ruin other people, especially if they've gotten offended or have been in an argument or fight with the other person. We know Laine got benched by Tortorella for what he said to Larsen. So what he said to Larsen would have had to be pretty bad in order to get suspended. We don't know what kind of person Larsen is, but if he's petty and revengeful, it will spell trouble for Laine moving forward. Hopefully he's not and Laine still has a chance to succeed moving forward. But Laine has already had 2 coaches who's been detrimental to his development, he doesn't need a 3rd...

Has Liane done anything himself that is detrimental to his development?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
No it wouldn't! If Laine plays all 82 games and gets at least 19 minutes of icetime per game, anything less than 35 goals will be seen as a huge disappointment! Laine is a goal scorer, it's as simple as that. You need to focus on Laine's strenghts and protect his weaknesses if you want the best out of him. Use him heavily on the powerplay and make sure you run a powerplay were Laine gets the puck and can shoot as much as possible. Play him with players that are good on the rush were they can get the puck to Laine for a quick shot. Use Laine in games were he's in a position to score empty net goals. If he can pad his stats, he'll feel better and play much better. Give him the option to cheat on defense and you'll see him score a few nice ones every now and then 5 on 5 too! If you do this, Laine might develop into something really special! :)

So essentially you are saying he needs to be babied and given preferential treatment and it might be special. Does this preferential treatment come with any detriments to the team? In a team game like hockey is this the best route? How much is a good shot worth if that is all a player has in his arsenal?

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Laine on ice for empty net? Good luck with that. Laine is the last player you want defending a 1 goal lead and have less players on the ice than the other team. It’s basically a 6 on 4.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Has Liane done anything himself that is detrimental to his development?
It's the job of the coach to do what's best for the development of the player. And that's were both Maurice and Tortorella dropped the ball. Laine put in the work and showed much progress, but was never given the chance to be that 1st line guy. 36 goals in his rookie season, while missing 9 games to injury and playing on the 2nd powerplay unit. 44 goals in his 2nd season and leading the whole NHL in powerplay goals. Hot start to his 3rd season were he tied Gretzky and Bossy for the November goal record with 18 goals. Then Maurice started talking about developing Laine into a 2way player and improving his defense. Well it all went straight to hell from there. 101 goals for Laine in his first 179 games, 49 goals in 172 games after Maurice and his 2way experiment! This is all on Maurice!

Oh and lets not forget Tortorella. Laine was super excited for the season and he came out and played good with 5 goals in his first 4 games. The 5th game was the imfomous benching game were Laine assaulted Brad Larsen verbally. After that game Laine scored just 7 goals in 41 games, with 6 of them being against Chicago.

So breakdown of Laine's career so far:
1. Rising to dominate: 101 goals in 179 games
2. 2-way experiment by Maurice: 42 goals in 131 games
3. Benching by Tortorella: 7 goals in 41 games

So essentially you are saying he needs to be babied and given preferential treatment and it might be special. Does this preferential treatment come with any detriments to the team? In a team game like hockey is this the best route? How much is a good shot worth if that is all a player has in his arsenal?
Dude, gifted players that's been good only offensively have always been treated to a different standard. Ovechkin once scored 51 goals, while being -35. Selanne was always seen as a terrible defensive player, but he scored almost 700 goals while missing out on almost 5 years of NHL hockey. Bure was known for his cherry picking. Kovalchuk was able to only play offense in his Atlanta days. And the list goes on and on...

Laine has already shown he's special. One of the highest scoring teenagers of all time, one of the youngest players to reach 100 career NHL goals, tied Gretzky and Bossy for most November goals ever! Has lead the league in powerplay goals once and been 2nd in goals while losing the Rocket to Ovechkin. And What's most impressive of all, Laine had the lowest icetime of anybody ever in the history of the NHL to be able to put up 40 goals or more in a season!

But after all this people still think that Laine should be a 2way player that plays defense and backchecks... :shakehead

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
How was Maurice detrimental to Laine’s development? Because he didn’t always play him on the #1 line where he made the line worse? Or was it putting Laine as the #1 shooter on the PP? Playing him with the #1 line driver on the team? Begging him to play at least a minimal amount of defense?

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Laine on ice for empty net? Good luck with that. Laine is the last player you want defending a 1 goal lead and have less players on the ice than the other team. It’s basically a 6 on 4.
Dude, Laine is tied 11th in empty net goals with 11 empty net goals since entering the NHL: NHL Stats
Get your facts before posting next time!

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
How was Maurice detrimental to Laine’s development? Because he didn’t always play him on the #1 line where he made the line worse? Or was it putting Laine as the #1 shooter on the PP? Playing him with the #1 line driver on the team? Begging him to play at least a minimal amount of defense?
Like I said, Laine should not be playing defense, he should score, while other players work hard and cover for him.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Dude, Laine is tied 11th in empty net goals with 11 empty net goals since entering the NHL: NHL Stats
Get your facts before posting next time!

What does that have to do with being a liability defensively?

“You have to cheat to be the goal king”- Laine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad