Laine goal-drought watch: 15 games (ends 02/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
14 games, no goals. wow. I mean you can't play much worse before trade rumors start.
2G 4A in his last 25 games.

I don't think I've ever seen a worse stretch by a star player in 15+ years of following NHL hockey.

Not a star yet but Burakovsky's stretch for first half of this season was worse I think.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
4 goals in his last 35 and 1 in his last 21 games.

I’m not even hating on this kid but I’m honestly just baffled in what is going here and why is it even happening?

This guy had 21 goals in his first 24 games! This makes zero sense to me.

Teams have really started squeezing him at even strength and it's affecting his performance on the PP. Just very ineffectual. His backers will tell you it's his deployment but that's really only a small part of it.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Is it fair to criticize him for his recent play, mistakes, and lack of production, given how long they've gone on? Absolutely. He has earned that criticism with how he has performed.

Is it fair to claim that he's washed up, useless, a bust, or someone the Jets should get rid of because he's terrible? Absolutely not. He has shown what he's capable of before, even if he's not currently playing to that level. If this level of play continues the rest of this year (and into the playoffs), then resumes for an extended stretch *next* year, then it starts being legitimate to question if he was just a flash in the pan. But we're not there yet.

All that said, he absolutely needs to find his game again, and is not playing up to his potential.

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
Laine is a young player and very promising and this is totally on Jets management. They have a GOAT-level player and they are not doing everything they can to get him going again. They should put Laine in a position to succeed.

Reactions: Sam Spade

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
GOAT level? You can't believe that

What’s wrong with that - don’t all the GOATs need “management to get them going” from time to time? Even Ovi wasnt winning rockets until the GM helped him kick his Pac-Man habit.

All this negative feedback is a response to the Laine fanboys on here who forcefed every thread with Laine stats/comparisons to the all-time greats after 1 season. It’s a shame. Because from the perspective of a teenager learning the ropes - he’s still having an incredible start to his career. But from the perspective these people artificially created for him, he’s failing hard.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
No worries guys. Remember that Laine is a joker. It could be 20 games without a single goal or 20 games with 3 hat tricks and perhaps 6 goals a game night. Maybe 36 goals in 2 months?

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
No worries guys. Remember that Laine is a joker. It could be 20 games without a single goal or 20 games with 3 hat tricks and perhaps 6 goals a game night. Maybe 36 goals in 2 months?
But what kind of contract you give such exremly moody player? Very useless!

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
Lmao what even is this post? The guy can’t get on the scoreboard in any way, doesn’t drive play, and barely looks like he is trying and your argument is to give him top line time regardless?

Top line time on ice is EARNED.

40 goals at the age of 20 = EARNED

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
But what kind of contract you give such exremly moody player? Very useless!
At least people are starting to realize what he is. 3 months ago fans and media were throwing around figures like 10M$, which is a good indicator of their level of understanding the game. Cheveldayoff likely was aware of the shortcomings though. You certainly don't go long term with term with him. Do a bridge 3x3.5M and see what you've got with him.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
14 games, no goals. wow. I mean you can't play much worse before trade rumors start.

Not a star yet but Burakovsky's stretch for first half of this season was worse I think.

Wow talk about a totally irrelevant comparison.

His career high is 17 goals coming into this season and he has only 7, Laine can rest as the spotlight is totally off of him now.

Lane needs to adjust and work harder plain and simple NHL stardom doesn't come free in 2019.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
Haven't seen the last Jets games. Is the kid looking any better?

I have watched a lot of jets games.

like almost all the young players the jets have acquired, there are expectations in playing style.

the jets like to play a fast, physical game with everyone on the ice involved.

in other words, hard to play against at both ends of the ice

mr. laine will be expected to do the same.

while his shot is not going in right now.....

he now plays better along the boards and throws a few hits.

it is not there yet, but he is working on the type of play that the coach wants

not sure what more you can expect at his age

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
Lol no. Earned for a little while? Sure. Earned for two years (as you claimed) aka 164 games regardless of how terrible he is playing? Not a chance.

Sorry, Mama Laine

when he is scoring 30-40 goals by just over 15 mins a game he is not terrible.... you want him to do more ? then give him ice time. he has yet to play a season where he gets 20min a night. so no, he did not even get first time min for a little while. even if he would try to round his game up... he needs ice time for it... his development is stagnating right now... therefore all the complaining should be send to the jets staff... bunch of monkeys from top to bottom.

you seem to be a caps fan, so i dont need to remind you that ovechkin and the young guns under coach boudreau were allowed to do whatever they wanted... mike green scroed 30 in that time. people complained about ovi too... he ignored all that complete player bs and maximized his goal scoring output instead.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
The epitome of a streaky player im baffled myself. I suppose all you can do is sit him for a game to think about it and then throw him back out there as you gotta think it's mental now. He didn't just lose his skills over night.

Reactions: Lambo

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
The epitome of a streaky player im baffled myself. I suppose all you can do is sit him for a game to think about it and then throw him back out there as you gotta think it's mental now. He didn't just lose his skills over night.

the only thing in your post I can agree with is he didn't just lose his skills over night.

the jets organization has shown they can be patient in a player's development.

in an above post I stated that laine is improving in board work and using his body

for a player who has probably never been looked at to provide that...…

he is making improvements

with his size, he could turn into a bit of a scary player

kind of a power forward

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
the only thing in your post I can agree with is he didn't just lose his skills over night.

the jets organization has shown they can be patient in a player's development.

in an above post I stated that laine is improving in board work and using his body

for a player who has probably never been looked at to provide that...…

he is making improvements

with his size, he could turn into a bit of a scary player

kind of a power forward
What games are you watching that show him improving his board work?

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
What games are you watching that show him improving his board work?

there is no comparison to when laine was pumping in goals and standing around.

in a number of recent games he has been winning board battles and coming up with pucks from behind the net.

those are areas that are improving.

for most of the season laine has been one of the first back on broken plays.

I did not say he was very good at it yet, but he is getting better.

the main complaint about him is being a one trick pony.

I am happy that he is improving on those parts of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad