Player Discussion: Laine Discussion (Mod Warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
In short: they might be pretty useful in large enough quantities. And 3 games, 4 takeaways, 1 giveaways tells absolutely nothing as a stat. I guess you need to have at least dozens of games to say anything based on those stats alone.

In such small quantities it would not be a very good predictor of what will happen regardless of what stat is being discussed. It's not necessarily a bad descriptor of what has happened, especially if we can support the conclusions with other statistics.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I can't necessarily blame Laine for all instances of slow decisions or poorly made hasty ones. Sometimes it looks like he's standing still because he's running through the options Maurice has "coached" into his head. Meanwhile defenders are bearing down on him so that by the time he gets to the option he wants, it's no longer the preferred option for the changed circustances and results in a turnover. Maybe the best coaching for Laine is to tell him that when he gets the puck, just get it to the offensive zone, be it by carrying, passing, whatever. Don't think, just do.
Yeah Maurice is coaching him from the bench too, for coach that dont coach vets :)

This is priceless for me
Maurice (nashville series)
"Move your feet , move your feet, or do that yeah!" Fish pump

Reactions: behemolari

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
He is not taking enough shot :)

Had he like 1 shot tonight, and even that was "missed" (hit the post, Pionk scored on the rebound)?

Three assists for Laine and Scheifele. Was that the first "hatrick of assists" for Laine? For Scheifele that's just another day in the office.

Fourth assist and Scheifele's goal was robbed by that bullshit offside review. Yes, technically it was an offside as Scheifele had his right skate just a little bit off the ice when puck went over the line.

I guess his stats are now 4. 1+5=6, +7 -5 = +2, not quite sure about those minuses though. He got -3 on the first game and +5 after since I think.

Laine is nicely fighting for the puck and doing forecheck and backcheck. Maybe Laine didn't quite get the Selke joke? I thought it was obvious...

Reactions: behemolari

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He is not taking enough shot :)

He looks to be shooting when he has the opportunity -
Now that he's more engaged in plays outside of the slot or near the dots, he's seeing less opportunity but making plays that result in the same thing.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Not talking about his over all play. I like it.
He just need more shots in net.

Otherwise it will be hard for him get over 50 goals.

Same as Expectation of him producing 1st line point in 2nd line minutes last few years.

In order for him to break that mythical 50 goal mark. He needs more shot in net.

All is good

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Laine 1 goal 5 assists for 6 points in 4 games, who saw that one coming :laugh: 12 shots so far in 4 games, nice average, only 8 % shooting and with the 12 % PP for the Jets so far he's propably gonna pick up a few goals in the upcoming games but tbh the goals aren't even the main pont right now it's just nice to see him being able to play top line without issues, or any line for that matter. Team is not having to accomodate around him. Best winger so far after Ehlers I would say, so far.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
In such small quantities it would not be a very good predictor of what will happen regardless of what stat is being discussed. It's not necessarily a bad descriptor of what has happened, especially if we can support the conclusions with other statistics.

Given that it seems to be quite random that which takeaways, giveaways, hits and shot blocks get recorded and which do not, unfortunately we can't use those stats even to show what has happened.

For example Laine had like 4 hits on his first game, but only 2 were recorded. We cannot just what the stats and say "Laine had 2 hits on his first game", as it's not true. Only 2 hits got recorded.

Most of the time I guess you can use those stat as the minimum: Laine had at least 2 hits on his first game and has had at least 4 takeaways and 1 giveaway on his 3 first games, but just by looking at the stats we can't say if the real numbers should be 4 takeaways and 6 giveaways or 10 takeaways and 1 giveaway.

Due to the randomness, large sample sample size is must. Given that there is no systematic bias, no conspiracy etc., in large enough quantities those stats should be usable for comparing guys within one team, like random sample used in statistics. Not as absolute numbers, like "Laine has 100 giveaways", but as relative measure: "Laine has more giveaways than takeaways, and similar amount of takeaways than Wheeler".

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Due to the randomness, large sample sample size is must. Given that there is no systematic bias, no conspiracy etc., in large enough quantities those stats should be usable for comparing guys within one team, like random sample used in statistics. Not as absolute numbers, like "Laine has 100 giveaways", but as relative measure: "Laine has more giveaways than takeaways, and similar amount of takeaways than Wheeler".

We don't know that there is no systematic bias. In fact, we can be almost certain that there is. The officials might be more inclined to award hits to larger or smaller guys, they might award more hits for specific types of hits (open ice vs close to boards, fast vs slow). Systematically they might be more inclined to award takeaway to the player who gains possession instead of the player who causes the pressure which causes a change in possession. Etc.

Small sample size is a weak argument unless you can actually calculate a size of statistic that has significance - otherwise you are still just going by gut-feeling. Even a 82-game sample still should get tested with with statistical methods and preferably by looking at other non-independent statistics that might give supporting evidence.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Jets’ Laine a force to be reckoned with

We are just witnessing the tip of the iceberg.
I am so excited :)

Also 2 things in the write up that many of us were stating.

1) Laine was playing better at the end of last year but point was not coming.
2) also possession numbers he will have games that possession stat will be good and some bad. But results counts (see Pitrsburgh last game), as some of us have mentioning Laine is a quick strick line they move the puck quick and make quick decision. I wonder maybe that might be ailing the Laine Little Line(combo)?

In the end when Laine is firing on all cyclinders all Jets fans are happy :) as it means most likely a win for our Jets.

Go Jets Go

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013

2) also possession numbers he will have games that possession stat will be good and some bad. But results counts (see Pitrsburgh last game), as some of us have mentioning Laine is a quick strick line they move the puck quick and make quick decision. I wonder maybe that might be ailing the Laine Little Line(combo)?

In the end when Laine is firing on all cyclinders all Jets fans are happy :) as it means most likely a win for our Jets.

Go Jets Go

Great article! Laine is going to be different kind of beast this year.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland

Go Jets Go

"In four games, Laine has one-quarter of the assists he tallied all of last season." That's crazy :laugh:

Reactions: Tommigun

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Screenshot_20191010-211814_NHL.jpg

It doesn't look right, right?
But it does look good, GOOD!

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
@behemolari And maybe after hanging out with Barkov, training a bit with the ox that is Rantanen. It's scary to think if Laine gets Rantanen strong (might not happend, but to closer physical level), he'll an absolute destroyer of worlds. Rantanen is so physical, it's almost impossible to get the puck away from as well as he wins those battles. :)

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
@behemolari And maybe after hanging out with Barkov, training a bit with the ox that is Rantanen. It's scary to think if Laine gets Rantanen strong (might not happend, but to closer physical level), he'll an absolute destroyer of worlds. Rantanen is so physical, it's almost impossible to get the puck away from as well as he wins those battles. :)
No reason in the world that 6’5” Laine couldn’t pack on the strength in the next 2 or 3 years. He would still only be 24 in 3 years! I imagine him being bigger and stronger and still talented every year from here on.

barring injury, he’s going to be a beast.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
No reason in the world that 6’5” Laine couldn’t pack on the strength in the next 2 or 3 years. He would still only be 24 in 3 years! I imagine him being bigger and stronger and still talented every year from here on.

barring injury, he’s going to be a beast.
Was... Maurice right? Turning Laine into powerforward eventually? And this has been just the tip of the iceberg?

Again...was Maurice right?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad