Laine’s off-season training (see warning in post 832)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Yes he is, thank god. But i rather stay here and trash(The Sip Treatment) Laine until he reaches his potential. Can't wait to see how fat and slow he looks after this summer. :cool:
Hard to say really how he will look after the summer. But fat will not be a word any intelligent people would use about him then, that I’m sure of.

One other thing I’m also sure about, Laine will in any case score loads of more goals and points than Armia during the forthcoming season, if both of them play most of the games for the season...

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Honesty is a virtue. Thanks for that.

I heard a report from the inner circles that he has been doing a lot of biceps with big macs. To avoid any exercise even resembling skating, he has a motorized scooter to move between home, pub and BMW. This is Rautala's plan to beefcake 2020.

Reactions: Ippenator

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Honestly Barkov didn’t have Laine beat in anything with his skating when he was Laine’s age. He definitely didn’t have better agility and edgework. Laughable to even claim that. It was really clearly below average what Barkov had in anything related with his skating then. Well ok, in balance and stamina he was probably still ahead, as he was a physically stonger and better conditioned individual at the same age with Laine. Laine was clearly otherwise a better skater than Barkov then.

Laine’s true problems are the lack of explosiveness in the legs and his lack of general stamina. If they wouldn't be his clearest weaknesses he wouldn’t be training like he has been training. And anyway, it should be completely obvious when you look at his skating, that those are exactly his real weaknesses.

If people have any idea of really estimating how someone is as a skater, they should first of all understand the laws of physics and then also how the human body is built and should be trained for good and efficient skating. Also you should be able to look at the skater without much looking what they are doing with their feet, as it’s anyway nothing about esthetics and how much the skating itself pleases the eyes. The only thing that matters is after all, do you get on time well enough and often enough to do the things that win the games.

Laine’s 5 on 5 goal difference tells us that in his case all this happens hell of a lot often at both ends of the ice in such a way that helps his team win. And this is happening when he is still raw with his physical development and has still some issues with his acceleration and stamina, which both affect considerably the stop and go playing which is so much more important in the smaller rinks in the NHL than in the European rinks. And this is also sometimes why many Europeans, not just Laine, can have some problems with their skating and stop and go play for a few first of their NHL seasons.
Looking back at the footage, it seems like Barkov's mobility took a real jump in his first NHL season. He was a little rougher on the edges before that but his balance was better and he did better in tight places whereas Laine seemed to shine everytime he had more room to skate around.

And what's up with trying to lecture me what Laine's skating weaknesses are when I didn't even touch that subject? I only said it would not hurt him to skate around like everyone else, just to keep the touch while improving in other areas at the same time.

I don't think Laine will be the first athlete who will have flawless development curve and there won't be any things he feel like he could have done a little better when his career is over. We will see if he starts skating more in couple of years when he should be physically ready or whether it's just Laine's preference to train hard on land and then just rest it out and enjoy the summer.

Last edited:

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
One other thing I’m also sure about, Laine will in any case score loads of more goals and points than Armia during the forthcoming season, if both of them play most of the games for the season...
That should hurt my feelings ? Laine will probably score more goals than anyone. And he can do it in console-shape, with a train hobos speed&stamina. The potential is enormous.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
That should hurt my feelings ? Laine will probably score more goals than anyone. And he can do it in console-shape, with a train hobos speed&stamina. The potential is enormous.
I don’t really know if it should or not? Should it? You probably know the answer yourself. Seems that you are yourself really trying something like that by throwing some childish unrealistic hyperboles. But yeah, each to their own, I guess...

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Here's a snippit of the training of another young player who had issues with skating speed in the NHL.

Draisaitl’s work in summer pays off in November and December

“I think I was a good skater, but I wasn’t a strong enough skater,” explained Draisaitl as we sat in his stall discussing his excellent start and his new found speed.
“What I mean by that is I wasn’t strong enough to skate at NHL speed for long stretches. I could go fast for 15 to 20 seconds, but I couldn’t maintain it. To play and succeed with men you need to be strong, and that is what I focused on this summer,” said Draisaitl.

Draisaitl spent the summer training with Voda in the Czech Republic, and I wanted to find out more about his productive off-season.
In order to improve your skating stride or gait you need to be on the ice, but Voda didn’t believe that was the issue, and instead focused on making Draisaitl stronger.

He wasn’t skating in the first few months of the summer, but he was confident his training was working and he was getting stronger.

Strength training instead of skating drills appears to have worked for Draisaitl, as you can see from this clip where he easily blows by Scheifele.

Reactions: Ippenator

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Here's a snippit of the training of another young player who had issues with skating speed in the NHL.

Draisaitl’s work in summer pays off in November and December

Strength training instead of skating drills appears to have worked for Draisaitl, as you can see from this clip where he easily blows by Scheifele.

How do you know that? Maybe it was a combination of both strength and on ice training. There is nothing in your quote that states he did not skate during the summer - one could assume that he skating through the back half of the summer after completing his strength training in the first couple of months.
A combination of Strength and on ice training makes a lot of sense - especially with the on ice in the back half allowing the player to loosen up a bit before the season starts.
Just another angle to consider . . .

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
But it doesn’t seem to work for Laine, his skating looked worse last year than the year before it.
Because he's young and lanky. He won't be any good to anyone if he doesn't get those toothpicks strong enough to handle the stress on the tendons and muscles during quick movements. He's already missed an offseason with a knee injury.

I'm willing to wait until he's a seasoned veteran for the completed project, like when he's 21 or 22 :)

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
But it doesn’t seem to work for Laine, his skating looked worse last year than the year before it.
I think the issue is in the eye of some of you more than in reality. I think seriously the problem here is with impatience and not understanding how tall, long limbed skaters have usually looked like anyway. And also another thing is that things will look not optimal in the beginning of the season anyway, as he has not trained for his peak for the season to be right in the beginning of the season.

But I anyway think that his skating looked otherwise fine from the beginning of the season, except that his stamina issues were not as much better as I hoped for. But it would have been anyway impossible for him to have them already fixed in one off season, as he has gained more of muscle mass too, so it will of course be at first more taxing for the stamina too. Not just a one season project, as some impatient people here seem to not realize through anything.

Oh, and maybe some of you finally can get some perspective by really reading about Draisaitl’s training, as the methods with him were simply very similar to what Laine has been going through. In fact his skating ”problems” were generally the same kind as Laine has had. And after a few years of hard training for strengthening his legs and stamina he has become a very good and strong skater, whom is in fact one of the best bigger sized skaters in the whole league.

Anyway, both Draisaitl and Laine are bigger guys (Laine even clearly taller though) with originally weakish legs without enough explosive power and stamina. And some seriously thought with both of them that the problem was with their skating techniques. Those people were enormously wrong about both of them, which shows that evaluating skating is something where it is quite easy to go completely the wrong way with things, as it has been clearly shown here too.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
How do you know that? Maybe it was a combination of both strength and on ice training. There is nothing in your quote that states he did not skate during the summer - one could assume that he skating through the back half of the summer after completing his strength training in the first couple of months.
A combination of Strength and on ice training makes a lot of sense - especially with the on ice in the back half allowing the player to loosen up a bit before the season starts.
Just another angle to consider . . .
It said there in the article that he had completely off ice focused training most of the summer. Only after all the explosiveness training and stamina training he had three weeks of on ice practicing. Most of his summer was off the ice, as in his situation it should have been.

Also Laine has not been completely off the ice during his previous summers, although some people seem to think so. He has been a couple of last of his off season training weeks also on the ice, just not doing any kind of hard skating drills, but just getting back the hang of it for skating, as every hockey player will anyway do.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
It said there in the article that he had completely off ice focused training most of the summer. Only after all the explosiveness training and stamina training he had three weeks of on ice practicing. Most of his summer was off the ice, as in his situation it should have been.

Also Laine has not been completely off he ice, although some people seem to think so. He has been a couple of last of his off season training weeks also on the ice, just not doing any kind of hard skating drills, but just getting back the hang of it for skating, as every hockey player will anyway do.

Right -
Sounds like he spent 3 solid weeks on the ice working drills -
If that is what Laine has in mind, I'm all in.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Right -
This guy doesn't know Laine nor Rautala and there's no information available like what he's spreading. I wouldn't put much weight into his "Facts".

Last summer Laine skated 7-8 times by his own words.

Aho and Barkov work their ass off to get better at skating during offseason and i hope Laine gets the message.

E: Typo fix

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Right -
They have still unique situations, although similar kinds - that I will admit. But as I said already, Laine was also not completely off the ice those last weeks as some people here seem to falsely think. The main point here is that some people seriously think that he should skate through the whole summer. That’s not what even most of the speed skating champions do. They usually have the main part of the summer for practicing hard their muscles and stamina off the ice.

I just don’t know where this false thinking that Laine was not at all on the ice comes from? But to expect for him to be skating at all during the most of his summer when he is doing all the strength and stamina exercises - I can tell everyone here - you are going to be disappointed every summer then, if you expect him to be on the ice while he is having the explosive strength and stamina based training.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
This guy doesn't know Laine nor Rantala and there's no information available like what he's spreading. I wouldn't put much weight into his "Facts".

Aho and Barkov work their ass off to get better at skating during offseason and i hope Laine gets the message.
I think Laine should hire you and Tommigun and ditch Rautala of course.

Laine btw said himself in an interview, that was in a Finnish newspaper, that he was on the ice for the last few weeks of the off season. I have not invented anything, like you have after all done when you think that you know things better than Laine, a professional like Rautala and the Jets management.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
This guy doesn't know Laine nor Rantala and there's no information available like what he's spreading. I wouldn't put much weight into his "Facts".

Yes that Laine isn't very smart, the Jets trainers aren't either. Laine is such a lazy bugger lol.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They have still unique situations, although similar kinds - that I will admit. But as I said already, Laine was also not completely off the ice those last weeks as some people here seem to falsely think. The main point here is that some people seriously think that he should skate through the whole summer. That’s not what even most of the speed skating champions do. They usually have the main part of the summer for practicing hard their muscles and stamina off the ice.

I just don’t know where this false thinking that Laine was not at all on the ice comes from? But to expect for him to be skating at all during the most of his summer when he is doing all the strength and stamina exercises - I can tell everyone here - you are going to be disappointed every summer then, if you expect him to be on the ice while he is having the explosive strength and stamina based training.
I saw that longish video following Rantanen as he went through Rautala's training system. Sounds like they do weights, some sprinting with and without resistance, run some stairs, and play badminton. Nothing very innovative or special. Just run-of-the-mill training. I'm sure it helps to train with other top athletes but this notion that Rautala has some special and elite training method seems overblown.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I saw that longish video following Rantanen as he went through Rautala's training system. Sounds like they do weights, some sprinting with and without resistance, run some stairs, and play badminton. Nothing very innovative or special. Just run-of-the-mill training. I'm sure it helps to train with other top athletes but this notion that Rautala has some special and elite training method seems overblown.
Master chefs don’t cook great because of just how great ingredients they use. The biggest reason why they are master chefs, is because they know how to make the cooking process work in the way that makes the food tasty.

You need to have the right amounts of different ingredients and enough of the main ingredients and then you need to use the right timing with the cooking. The ingredients are not necessarily something newly invented though.

The same way applies to training and so many other things in life. You don’t need to necessarily find some completely new methods in general, but how you put ingredients together to make the end result very good - that is what makes true professionals so good in so many things.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Master chefs don’t cook great because of just how great ingredients they use. The biggest reason why they are master chefs, is because they know how to make the cooking process work in the way that makes the food tasty.

You need to have the right amounts of different ingredients and enough of the main ingredients and then you need to use the right timing with the cooking. The ingredients are not necessarily something newly invented though.

The same way applies to training and so many other things in life. You don’t need to necessarily find some completely new methods in general, but how you put ingredients together to make the end result very good - that is what makes true professionals so good in so many things.

That sounds like a post that has more relevance to Laine's mother than to Laine.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
That sounds like a post that has more relevance to Laine's mother than to Laine.
I doubt she’s a real master chef though. Well, I have understood that Sami Niku goes gladly often to eat her cookings, so maybe she’s even relatively good.

But anyway, if you think with some real thought, you should understand that I was not posting about just cooking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad