Lafreniere Vs Stutzle/Sanderson

Who would you rather have

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Playoff team or team just about over the mid pack hump : Laf. A team such as Ott with holes absolutely everywhere. Stutzle and Sanderson

Doesn't matter I take the 2 guys 8 days a week.

Stutlze might be really close to Laf on his own in a couple of years.

Extremely surprised at the poll results.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

Fair enough, Im a bit surprised but I can see reasoning for both sides.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
woulda taken a Byfield/Stultze + Drysdale combo easily.

I dont like the reach on Sanderson (I had him 10th) so ill go Laf here

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

completely disagree.

Laf has a chance to be top tier. no one is taking two really good players over elite young guys like Mcdavid,drai,nate mac, matthews, pasta etc

• Haha
Reactions: Alex1234

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
completely disagree.

Laf has a chance to be top tier. no one is taking two really good players over elite young guys like Mcdavid,drai,nate mac, matthews, pasta etc

I really think that Stutzle is going to surprise you then.

Reactions: SENStastic

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
LAFAINEC. Those other two jokers are scrubs.
More quality from you.

This poll is Laughable. :sarcasm:
Go on.

If Lafreniere isn't a stand-out #1 then what is?

It wasn't even a discussion.
The players I named in the post Crosby, McDavid. Lafrenier is the best of the bunch in his draft but not generational and this was a really deep draft for high end players. Unlike this up coming year which is really weak. The poster below said I only liked the 2020 draft class because Ottawa picked high. Which is absolutely incorrect. Ottawa will pick top 5 this year too and no one in this draft is as good a prospect as the top 3 players were in 2020.
15-20 games the past two seasons.
Bullshit.
completely disagree.

All the usual suspects in this thread just tasting it. Gotta love it. Brutal talent evaluators showing their stuff early and often.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karl Eriksson

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
More quality from you.

Go on.

The players I named in the post Crosby, McDavid. Lafrenier is the best of the bunch in his draft but not generational and this was a really deep draft for high end players. Unlike this up coming year which is really weak. The poster below said I only liked the 2020 draft class because Ottawa picked high. Which is absolutely incorrect. Ottawa will pick top 5 this year too and no one in this draft is as good a prospect as the top 3 players were in 2020.

Bullshit.

All the usual suspects in this thread just tasting it. Gotta love it. Brutal talent evaluators showing their stuff early and often.

Stützle looks really good if I'm being honest. I didn't know him very well when this thread was made, but after seeing and hearing more from him past few months I think he could do very, very well in this league as a top talent.

But - don't get too cocky in this comparison just yet. Lafreniere absolutely still should turn into a top tier player in this league. I'm kind of shocked he still has the 1 point only so far, but I'd be careful giving up on him too quickly. I still take him above the other duo, even if his start is certainly disappointing.

• Haha

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Stützle looks really good if I'm being honest. I didn't know him very well when this thread was made, but after seeing and hearing more from him past few months I think he could do very, very well in this league as a top talent.

But - don't get too cocky in this comparison just yet. Lafreniere absolutely still should turn into a top tier player in this league. I'm kind of shocked he still has the 1 point only so far, but I'd be careful giving up on him too quickly. I still take him above the other duo, even if his start is certainly disappointing.
Not being cocky, Lafreniere is a superb talent and very likely will be the best player from this draft. However this group of posters irrationally rip on the sens every opportunity they have. It's easy to pick the lowest hanging fruit. Only fair they get to be called out on what was obviously terrible judgment well before this season started. Three elite players from the 2020 draft with another 8 that could justify top 5 selections most years.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
The idea of Ottawa trading 3 and 5 for number 1 was discussed around here. So now that the players have been selected which would you rather have for your team?

I voted for STUDzle

I am all aboard the Jimmy hype train and I hate it cause I’m a leaf fan.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Traditionally, 1OA is more valuable or very close to more valuable than 3+5.The fact that this was a near 50/50 poll shows most believe it's a valid question. Unless it's a complete toss up at 1OA, it's certainly a valid question whether you'd prefer 1 or 3+5.

Thats not to say the right answer is 1OA over 3+5. In hindsight, I think we can say that Lafreniere is not multiple tiers above everyone else. However, the draft is not operated in hindsight. There wasn't much debate in the months leading up to the draft over who'd go 1OA. Lafreniere was regarded as the best without much debate.

The early sample doesn't tell us much. Stuetzle has 13 shots in 9 games, Lafreniere has 18 in 10 games. They are playing about the same amount per game (Lafreniere is playing 11 more seconds per game). The difference statistically is that Stuetzle is shooting 30.8% and Lafreniere is shooting 5.4%. Thats what you get with early season small samples. They'll both shoot around 10-13% at the end of the season. Stuetzle's going to start missing on a very high percentage a lot of his shots, and Lafreniere's going to start scoring on more than a normal number of his shots. Thats how shooting percentages work in hockey. Looking into their advanced stats, Stuetzle has a 47% CF%, and a 29.61% xGF%, while Lafreniere has a 48.39% CF% and a 48.14% XGF%.

This idea that Stuetzle's somehow outplaying Lafreniere is what's silly. Stuetzle has gotten luckier so far. Lafreniere's gotten really unlucky (3.28 on ice SH%). Both guys so far look like NHL'ers right now, albeit not impact players yet. They are somewhere in the vicinity right now of last season's three D+1 rookies.

• Haha

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Traditionally, 1OA is more valuable or very close to more valuable than 3+5.The fact that this was a near 50/50 poll shows most believe it's a valid question. Unless it's a complete toss up at 1OA, it's certainly a valid question whether you'd prefer 1 or 3+5.

Thats not to say the right answer is 1OA over 3+5. In hindsight, I think we can say that Lafreniere is not multiple tiers above everyone else. However, the draft is not operated in hindsight. There wasn't much debate in the months leading up to the draft over who'd go 1OA. Lafreniere was regarded as the best without much debate.

The early sample doesn't tell us much. Stuetzle has 13 shots in 9 games, Lafreniere has 18 in 10 games. They are playing about the same amount per game (Lafreniere is playing 11 more seconds per game). The difference statistically is that Stuetzle is shooting 30.8% and Lafreniere is shooting 5.4%. Thats what you get with early season small samples. They'll both shoot around 10-13% at the end of the season. Stuetzle's going to start missing on a very high percentage a lot of his shots, and Lafreniere's going to start scoring on more than a normal number of his shots. Thats how shooting percentages work in hockey. Looking into their advanced stats, Stuetzle has a 47% CF%, and a 29.61% xGF%, while Lafreniere has a 48.39% CF% and a 48.14% XGF%.

This idea that Stuetzle's somehow outplaying Lafreniere is what's silly. Stuetzle has gotten luckier so far. Lafreniere's gotten really unlucky (3.28 on ice SH%). Both guys so far look like NHL'ers right now, albeit not impact players yet. They are somewhere in the vicinity right now of last season's three D+1 rookies.

Not at all. Stutzle has just been much better.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This poll is ridiculous

This is not McDavid vs Strome + Hanifin

Also wish there was no "change your vote" option

Still Lafrenière. Way too early to switch, too small of a sample size.

The poll is not Lafreniere vs Stutzle, it's Lafreniere vs Sutzle + Sanderson

Unles you think Lafreniere alone is worth more than these 2?

18 y/o Sanderson has looked fantastic for a college freshman and was getting better and better every game against his best peers in the WJC. He's an even better skater than I thought.

Give me Jimmy over Laf straight up. Forget Sanderson.

As much as I love Jimmy, I don't want to forget about Sanderson. As soon as he starts getting comfortable in the NHL, it will change the whole team dynamic considerably.

I'm almost as "excited" about Sanderson as Stutzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad