• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Convincing argument.

How about you make the argument for Stuetzle?

He's just been much better. Making plays, skating hard with and without the puck. And he's been doing it without being gifted minutes with players like Panarin.

There's a reason his shooting percentage is so high.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
And he's been doing it without being gifted minutes with players like Panarin.

You mean Howden and Di Giuseppe?

Lafreniere has only played about half the season in the top six, and he's still not getting top six minutes. He's only on the second PP. Similar usage for Stuetzle. He doesn't have a point all season leaching off someone like Panarin.

And are you kidding with the shooting percentage? Stuetze's SH% is so high because he's been lucky. Nothing more. He'll start to miss a high percentage of similar level chances because thats how it is.

• Haha
Reactions: Alex1234

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You mean Howden and Di Giuseppe?

Lafreniere has only played about half the season in the top six, and he's still not getting top six minutes. He's only on the second PP. Similar usage for Stuetzle. He doesn't have a point all season leaching off someone like Panarin.

And are you kidding with the shooting percentage? Stuetze's SH% is so high because he's been lucky. Nothing more. He'll start to miss a high percentage of similar level chances because thats how it is.

I've watched almost every game for both players. Stutzle has been way way better. Like, it's not even close.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I had Stützle over Lafreniere before draft, so this one's super obvious as I'm getting a promising defenseman in addition.
Convincing argument.

How about you make the argument for Stuetzle?
He's shown flashes of high-end potential and skill, like you look at him and imagine where he could be with some experience and development, the sky's the limit.

You look at Lafreniere and what do you see? Yes indeed, what do you see when you look at him in NHL?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I had Stützle over Lafreniere before draft, so this one's super obvious as I'm getting a promising defenseman in addition.

He's shown flashes of high-end potential and skill, like you look at him and imagine where he could be with some experience and development, the sky's the limit.

There is that, but also needs to be paired with better linemates. Maybe coaching staff is bringing him slowly because yes he still has a lot to learn, of course.

But it won't be easy for him to create offense when he's paired with shutdown players (Tierney, Connor Brown) or over the hill vets (Stepan)

Line Combinations - Frozen Tools

The only talent he has played a bit at even strenght is Batherson and Dadonov

Personally I'd go Stutzle-Norris-Batherson, hidden behind :

Paul-Tierney/White-C. Brown (matchup line)~ 16-18 mins a night at EV
Tkachuk-L. Brown-Dadonov (main offensive line) ~ 14-16 mins a night at EV
Stutzle-Norris-Batherson (skilled kid line) ~ 14-16 mins a night at EV
Galchenyuk-White-Watson ~ 10-14 mins a night at EV

You roll the lines depending on performance. And of course special units will have a strong influence

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Are we ready to pour the concrete on these guys careers after 10-games? Silly to think any votes would have changed since draft. Nothing in stone yet.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Just looking at 14 drafts from 2005 to 2018. Here is the best player in the draft vs the 3rd and 5th best players according to online redrafts

2005 Crosby vs Rask & Quick
2006 Toews vs Backstrom & Marchand
2007: Kane vs Subban & Mcdonagh
2008: Doughty vs Karlsson & Holtby
2009: Tavares vs O’Reilly & OEL
2010: Seguin vs Stone & Klingberg
2011: Kucherov vs Landeskog & Gibson
2012: Vasilevskiy vs Teravainen & Anderson
2013: MacKinnon vs Barkov & Horvat
2014: Draisaitl vs Point & Larkin
2015: McDavid vs Marner & Barzal
2016: Matthews vs Laine & Debrincat
2017: Pettersson vs Heiskanen & Suzuki
2018: Dahlin vs Hughes & Kotkaniemi

The trend I am seeing is that you have to hope you draft the best player (which for the point of this exercise we can assume Laf is) AND that A) he ends up being a top top player at his position in the league for years or B) it is a weak draft and the 3 and 5 are not very compelling. Over 14 drafts I had it 7-7 for which I would prefer of the 3rd and 5th best players from a draft. But even still, I’d rather bet on the two picks with Ottawa than the one pick with NY especially knowing the math behind pick value
yeah, but teams dont tend to pick the third and fifth best players at third and fifth overall. i personally am not high at all on sanderson, i dont think he'll be a top 5 player in the draft.

lets look at the guys actually picked in those spots, in the same drafts you chose.

2005 Crosby vs Jack Johnson and Price
2006 Erik Johnson vs Toews and Kessel
2007 Kane vs Turris and Alzner
2008 Stamkos vs Bogosian and Luke Schenn (hey theyre all 2020 Cup champs)
2009 Tavares vs Duchene and Brayden Schenn
2010 Hall vs Gudbranson and Niederreiter
2011 Nugent-Hopkins vs Huberdeau and Ryan Strome
2012 Yakupov vs Galchenyuk and Rielly
2013 MacKinnon vs Drouin and Elias Lindholm
2014 Ekblad vs Draisaitl and Dal Colle
2015 McDavid vs Dylan Strome and Hanifin
2016 Matthews vs Dubois and Juolevi
2017 Hischier vs Heiskanen and Pettersson
2018 Dahlin vs Kotkaniemi and Hayton

the #1 picks lead 9-5 now.

Reactions: WillyNy

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
yeah, but teams dont tend to pick the third and fifth best players at third and fifth overall. i personally am not high at all on sanderson, i dont think he'll be a top 5 player in the draft.

lets look at the guys actually picked in those spots, in the same drafts you chose.

2005 Crosby vs Jack Johnson and Price
2006 Erik Johnson vs Toews and Kessel
2007 Kane vs Turris and Alzner
2008 Stamkos vs Bogosian and Luke Schenn (hey theyre all 2020 Cup champs)
2009 Tavares vs Duchene and Brayden Schenn
2010 Hall vs Gudbranson and Niederreiter
2011 Nugent-Hopkins vs Huberdeau and Ryan Strome
2012 Yakupov vs Galchenyuk and Rielly
2013 MacKinnon vs Drouin and Elias Lindholm
2014 Ekblad vs Draisaitl and Dal Colle
2015 McDavid vs Dylan Strome and Hanifin
2016 Matthews vs Dubois and Juolevi
2017 Hischier vs Heiskanen and Pettersson
2018 Dahlin vs Kotkaniemi and Hayton

the #1 picks lead 9-5 now.

This seems like 2017

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I picked Stutzle/Sanderson and I don't even like Sanderson. I always felt that Byfield and Stutzle had more potential than Lafreniere but Lafreniere was a safer pick.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Bit early but Stuztle has looked much better than Lafreniere... but like I said, a bit early to judge. I would still take Stuztle/Sanderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad