Ladi Smid

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'll agree and disagree with you there though, I knew what we were getting with Ference but I never thought hed be nearly as bad as this on the ice. Ference has been nothing short of a turnstyle in his own end.

I'm sorry, but if he was going to live up to the farce of being made Captain before even putting the jersey on he at least had to anchor the 3rd Defence pairing. If it wasnt for Nikitin (who has no excuse) Ference would be this team's worst defenceman.

So I agree that we'd have been better off with Smid than Ference though, for me theres no question of that.

At the end of the day though debating who would be better between Smid and Ference really shows a big reason why this team is in the basement.

I've seen people who think Klefbom has been this teams best defenseman... While there is an argument for that, it too really shows how terrible this teams defense is.

If you look at Klefbom from start to now this year.

Ference >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> better defensively than Klefbom. Barring an extremely short stint where everyone fell in love with him, Klefbom has been a MUCH worse of a turnstyle in his own end.

I will of course point out that Klefbom is also significantly better in the offensive zone than ference and yes overall as this season progresses Klefbom is > than Ference. No question.

You damn people for comparing Smid to Ference but then point out Ference would be second worst... kind of strange logic cause I see virtually no difference in NHL effectiveness between any of our D-men. Even Petry was only slightly better than Ference.

The only D-man who deserves a bit of credit is Fayne and even then not much.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Smid is, by all accounts, a totally solid character guy who loved living here. I was disappointed when we traded him, but in a way, I was glad that we sent him to Calgary, because I think it was fairly obvious that was done as a solid to Smid.

As a hockey player, we have no need for him. Smid's style of game is one that trails off rapidly, and he's hit that critical point where he's just suffered too many injuries to still be effective as a physical stay-at-home guy - look at how Phaneuf's game has fallen off in a similar fashion, and Phaneuf had more talent to start with.

Nothing against Smid, but it's simply hard to get past the 4 or 5 back injuries he's had, including a couple operations on his spinal column. That takes a toll on anyone, let alone a guy whose game is so focused around being hard to play against.

Doesn't Smid still live in Edmonton during the off season?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I've seen people who think Klefbom has been this teams best defenseman... While there is an argument for that, it too really shows how terrible this teams defense is.

Ference >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> better defensively than Klefbom. Barring an extremely short stint where everyone fell in love with him, Klefbom has been a MUCH worse of a turnstyle in his own end.

I will of course point out that Klefbom is also significantly better in the offensive zone than ference and yes overall as this season progresses Klefbom is > than Ference. No question.

You damn people for comparing Smid to Ference but then point out Ference would be second worst... kind of strange logic cause I see virtually no difference in NHL effectiveness between any of our D-men. Even Petry was only slightly better than Ference.

Too bad the stats and every eye test shows differently

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

The only things I can think of that Ference is better then Kefbom at include recycling, jumping jacks, marching in parades and stealing money from Katz..:laugh:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'd like to hear some of the expertise from the Flames Boards myself.

I liked Smid, but he really wasn't living up to his (or Managements view of his) potential.

He was a character guy for this team though.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Nope. We have enough #5-8 defensemen (Ference, Nikitin, Schultz) making big money. Only Marincin is making proper money for a #5-6 defenseman and for some reason management seems keen of moving him for it. If Flames would take Nikitin or Ference in return then sure, otherwise pass.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Too bad the stats and every eye test shows differently

Lol, my lord some people. So convinced they forget to actually check to see if hey have a clue what they are talking about.

84 D Oscar Klefbom 53 2 15 17 -18 4 0 0 0 86 2.30
21 D Andrew Ference 70 3 11 14 -17 39 0 0 0 58 5.20

Gonna shoot from the hip myself cause I got to go but I believe Ference and Klefbom have similar quality of competition. Klefbom has easier zone starts and plays with stronger forwards.

You need to get your eyes checked.

Klefbom is better, never said he wasn't, but its so close it honestly doesn't matter in actual NHL effectiveness.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008

I dont know who this team's best defenceman is, but yeah, Ference isnt in the conversation.

I dont damn people for comparing Ference to Smid, not at all, they're both players that are okay at what they do, its just that they're being asked, and in some cases forced, to do things outside of their abilities and being crucified because they cant do it.

Smid and Ference are 5/6 Dmen. They can both step up into that top 4 role in very, very limited minutes but are asked to do more than that which is a problem.

I'm just saying that the team's fortunes arent being won or lost because of Smid or Ference.

You are right though, our defence is basically a bunch of 5/6 guys thrown out onto the ice haphazardly and they're basically all even.

Except for Nikitin. He is genuinely terrible.

I'd like to hear some of the expertise from the Flames Boards myself.

I liked Smid, but he really wasn't living up to his (or Managements view of his) potential.

He was a character guy for this team though.

Realistically the Flames used Smid for what he was, a 5/6 guy who could, with limited, sheltered minutes and some help, step in as top 4 Dman. For most teams though his cap hit was too high to warrant that kind of treatment and he was needed to be the Top 4 Dman that he just isnt. But the Flames could pay that and not care because they have the lowest payroll in the league and were just happy to acquire defensive depth and hit the cap floor.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I dont know who this team's best defenceman is, but yeah, Ference isnt in the conversation.

I dont damn people for comparing Ference to Smid, not at all, they're both players that are okay at what they do, its just that they're being asked, and in some cases forced, to do things outside of their abilities and being crucified because they cant do it.

Smid and Ference are 5/6 Dmen. They can both step up into that top 4 role in very, very limited minutes but are asked to do more than that which is a problem.

I'm just saying that the team's fortunes arent being won or lost because of Smid or Ference.

You are right though, our defence is basically a bunch of 5/6 guys thrown out onto the ice haphazardly and they're basically all even.

Except for Nikitin. He is genuinely terrible.

Realistically the Flames used Smid for what he was, a 5/6 guy who could, with limited, sheltered minutes and some help, step in as top 4 Dman. For most teams though his cap hit was too high to warrant that kind of treatment and he was needed to be the Top 4 Dman that he just isnt. But the Flames could pay that and not care because they have the lowest payroll in the league and were just happy to acquire defensive depth and hit the cap floor.

Agreed.

I don't know why but I keep expecting Nikita to start playing well and he just never puts together enough solid hockey to justify him being on the team.

Davidson was an improvement... Davidson!!!!

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Smid's done for the season; got a concussion from a cheap hit by Despres.

He hasn't had a good year at all but it's a little tough to get a good read on his play. Injuries have played a part but the chief issue was whatever brain injury Hartley received that made him play Smid with Engelland on the bottom pairing. Two largely immobile stay at home defensemen in an up tempo transition based system; stupid doesn't even begin to describe it. Both Smid and Engelland looked like serviceable bottom pairing defensemen when paired with a puck mover, i.e. Diaz but Engelland has been better overall this year.

With Wotherspoon and Morrison coming up, the Flames would be more than happy to dump Smid and his contract if they could.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Smid's done for the season; got a concussion from a cheap hit by Despres.

He hasn't had a good year at all but it's a little tough to get a good read on his play. Injuries have played a part but the chief issue was whatever brain injury Hartley received that made him play Smid with Engelland on the bottom pairing. Two largely immobile stay at home defensemen in an up tempo transition based system; stupid doesn't even begin to describe it. Both Smid and Engelland looked like serviceable bottom pairing defensemen when paired with a puck mover, i.e. Diaz but Engelland has been better overall this year.

With Wotherspoon and Morrison coming up, the Flames would be more than happy to dump Smid and his contract if they could.

This is a good perspective, thanks for that. Smid has always been a warrior but unfortunately he lacks good mobility which might be fine on a team that has a ton of it (Nashville or Pittsburgh), but on a team like Edmonton that has frequent troubles vacating the puck from their own end it's just another hassle.

The concussion isn't a good thing either, obviously.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Smid was never the same player again after he was sucker punched by Avery. It's sad to hear he's suffering more concussion problems. He's likely finished now which is a shame because he was a good soldier.

He's also a guy who committed the sin of criticizing management's golden children and for that he was traded a week later. There is no greater sin in Oilerville than criticizing management or their decisions (right or wrong) so even if Smid was healthy there is no way he'd ever be brought back. That in itself makes this thread irrelevant.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
He's garbage. End of ****ing thread.
Can't even believe you typed that over Lad ****ing Smid.

But now that you bring it up, it was one of Lowe's biggest failures, and that's always a good thing to remind people of. He was brought in and sold as a future top pairing defender for years to come. LOL!!! Ah, Lowe. You are truly going to be timeless. People will never forget your moronic antics, Fegelein style.
He was never more than a #4 at his very best.

In Smid's best offensive year, he scored 15 points
Klefbom has 17 points so far this year. As a rookie. Think about that for a second.

At least they didn't make a spectactular failure in choosing Klefbom, unlike Smid. LOL, great scouting Lowe. Stupid moron. What an idiot, seriously. Knocked in the head too long. Probably has an IQ of less than a chimp. Wish I could say I feel sorry for him.

Having Smid is hardly the difference of being a playoff team or not. And let's say he did help us a BIT, do you really want to be ahead of Toronto and Carolina in the tank standings?

Hey, I'll be back to respond to the flamers later. I know plenty will somehow be offended over this--over comments about a #6 Dman on a good team, but I won't be shocked.

I don't know why, but I laughed out loud reading your first two sentences ha ha.

Smid..Meh

Remember Lowe actually gave a quote about realizing he had too many dmen.

"What happened was, all of a sudden, we got a lot of defencemen. We traded for Grebeshkov. We signed (Dick) Tarnstrom. We traded for Pitkanen. We signed (Sheldon) Souray. Then, I'm thinking, 'Holy mackerel, we've got a lot of guys here,' " said Lowe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad