Ladi Smid

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
Since Eakins was fired we've seen the resurgence of players like Eberle, RNH and most notably Yakupov. In fact, under Nelson, nearly all the guys on the roster have improved their game and found a niche on this team. Even the depth players/minor leaguers like Lander and Klefbom who couldn't get a sniff with Eakins at the helm, have found a way onto the roster and fit in quite nicely. Klefbom has probably even been our most consistent Dman since Eakins got the old heave ho. Keeping all this in mind, it left me wondering whether or not Ladi Smid was just another victim of Eakins' incompetence or if his game really declined that much in such a short period of time.

Before I get into much detail here, I will mention that I do understand that Smid never improved much after joining the Flames and don't even seem to be part of the picture over there anymore. But I wonder if lack of confidence under Eakins can be to blame for this decline. Sometimes when a player is deterred from what brought him success in the first place, they lose the confidence needed to succeed and may never regain it.

Before Eakins came into the picture, Smid was not only one of our better defenders but he was also a great leader in the locker room and was truly a heart and soul player who gave his all to the team. What this team lacked, and still do to some extent, are guys who are hard to play against and who lay it all on the line and stick up for teammates when need be. This defined Smid's game to a tee. He went from being a top pairing, 20+ minute a game, shut down Dman to being a depth guy playing just over 15 minutes a game under Eakins. He played less minutes in the Eakins era than guys like Ference, Schultz, and Belov. Yes Belov!! None of which played any better than Smid. He was top 10 in the NHL in blocked shots two years straight before Eakins came into the picture and top 15 in hits. We have no one even in the top 30 in blocked shots on the roster this season.

Since Nelson was named head coach, every player on this team have found a role and have really bought into Nelson's system. Our best player and one of the best LW's in the game is playing on the 3rd line for God's sake and not only accepting it but relishing it. Given how every player on this team is giving it their all and playing their heart's out for Nelson, and knowing the type of player and character guy Smid is, it really makes me believe that he would excel under Nelson and get back to being one of the better shut down guys in the league like he was before Eakins really screwed him up. This team really needs the type of player Smid was before Eakins came around and to be honest, given his value is very low at the moment, I'd even be ok with re-acquiring him just to see how he'd fare playing under a coach who brings out the best in his players. It would be a risk, given his contract, but it could be a risk worth willing to take.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
If Smid was available for free, I'd welcome him back because depth is important.

So long as he doesn't have any issues with the locker room. I'm not sure if that was real or not, but I always liked Ladi. I'd love to see him succeed. I really liked him while he was here. I had faith in him becoming a very important Oiler for the future.

I remember when Smid and Petry were supposed to be our top pairing of the future. I had hope back in those days. HOPE. Hall, Omark, Paajarvi, Eberle.
We've got a lot more offensive talent now, at least.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Ladi used to be a guy you loved having on your team. Not sure if we have room for him to "find his game" with our abundance of #4-5 dmen

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
If Smid was available for free, I'd welcome him back because depth is important.

So long as he doesn't have any issues with the locker room. I'm not sure if that was real or not, but I always liked Ladi. I'd love to see him succeed. I really liked him while he was here. I had faith in him becoming a very important Oiler for the future.

I remember when Smid and Petry were supposed to be our top pairing of the future. I had hope back in those days. HOPE. Hall, Omark, Paajarvi, Eberle.
We've got a lot more offensive talent now, at least.

That was the biggest problem, Smid was never a Top 4 Dman, he could step in and play that Top 4 role for a bit, but that was as good as it was going to get.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He's garbage. End of ****ing thread.
Can't even believe you typed that over Lad ****ing Smid.

But now that you bring it up, it was one of Lowe's biggest failures, and that's always a good thing to remind people of. He was brought in and sold as a future top pairing defender for years to come. LOL!!! Ah, Lowe. You are truly going to be timeless. People will never forget your moronic antics, Fegelein style.
He was never more than a #4 at his very best.

In Smid's best offensive year, he scored 15 points
Klefbom has 17 points so far this year. As a rookie. Think about that for a second.

At least they didn't make a spectactular failure in choosing Klefbom, unlike Smid. LOL, great scouting Lowe. Stupid moron. What an idiot, seriously. Knocked in the head too long. Probably has an IQ of less than a chimp. Wish I could say I feel sorry for him.

Having Smid is hardly the difference of being a playoff team or not. And let's say he did help us a BIT, do you really want to be ahead of Toronto and Carolina in the tank standings?

Hey, I'll be back to respond to the flamers later. I know plenty will somehow be offended over this--over comments about a #6 Dman on a good team, but I won't be shocked.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
(Mod Edit)

Who is our dime a dozen dman that does everything right in his own zone? None of our guys seem to know how to not pass to opposing players.
Jason Smith didn't score more than 20 points in his entire NHL career, is he crap as well?

Might as well throw Gordon in the trash bin too, loser can't score more than 29 points and he is a forward!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Loved smid, would take him back so fast if it meant Ference wasnt here. However he's regresses terribly since 2011 which sucks

Brossoit looking like a stud right now, that trade was solid from oilers POV. Hurt Hus initially, but lo g run it helped us. Smid is a #6 replaceable D.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Who is our dime a dozen dman that does everything right in his own zone? None of our guys seem to know how to not pass to opposing players.
Jason Smith didn't score more than 20 points in his entire NHL career, is he crap as well?

Might as well throw Gordon in the trash bin too, loser can't score more than 29 points and he is a forward!

I like Gordon. Great on faceoffs, and great defensively. He actually brings a lot to the table. Jason Smith played in a different time in the NHL, during the clutch'n grab times. He was great for his time, and actually could get hte puck out of the D zone pretty well. Defensemen didn't really have to be good skaters or drive the offense as much as they do now.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Is he even playing in Calgary?

Think he's currently hurt. But before that, he was like the #6-7 guy, getting about 13-14 minutes, which is #6 Dman minutes. That's what he is, and what he would be on most good playoff teams, or on a team like Calgary with good defensive depth. About where he belongs, IMO.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Think he's currently hurt. But before that, he was like the #6-7 guy, getting about 13-14 minutes, which is #6 Dman minutes. That's what he is, and what he would be on most good playoff teams, or on a team like Calgary with good defensive depth. About where he belongs, IMO.

I feel like I hadn't heard his name all season. I figured if Deryk Engelland was getting shifts over you, you were probably crap.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This thread is probably not going to go well.

Many fans on this board can't recognize solid defensive play and just do not value the stay at home type.

Smid and Petry were a great pairing because they complemented each other weakness perfectly while not being useless in any aspect of their game.

Smid was a much better puck mover and skater than people credit. Those were actually his calling cards out of the draft.

To eventually get to the point. Smid would improve our defence but not enough to go after him.

He would be an improvement over Ferrence ever so slightly and fill that role nicely. Having both is redundant.

Smids play did decline, if I remember correctly even under Krueger. So there is no guarantee he would go back to how well he played just cause of Nelson. But if he did go back to how he used to play I would of course want him back. I personally think he helped Petry more than the other way while he was here.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
Smid is, by all accounts, a totally solid character guy who loved living here. I was disappointed when we traded him, but in a way, I was glad that we sent him to Calgary, because I think it was fairly obvious that was done as a solid to Smid.

As a hockey player, we have no need for him. Smid's style of game is one that trails off rapidly, and he's hit that critical point where he's just suffered too many injuries to still be effective as a physical stay-at-home guy - look at how Phaneuf's game has fallen off in a similar fashion, and Phaneuf had more talent to start with.

Nothing against Smid, but it's simply hard to get past the 4 or 5 back injuries he's had, including a couple operations on his spinal column. That takes a toll on anyone, let alone a guy whose game is so focused around being hard to play against.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
This thread is probably not going to go well.

Many fans on this board can't recognize solid defensive play and just do not value the stay at home type.

Smid and Petry were a great pairing because they complemented each other weakness perfectly while not being useless in any aspect of their game.

Smid was a much better puck mover and skater than people credit. Those were actually his calling cards out of the draft.

To eventually get to the point. Smid would improve our defence but not enough to go after him.

He would be an improvement over Ferrence ever so slightly and fill that role nicely. Having both is redundant.

Smids play did decline, if I remember correctly even under Krueger. So there is no guarantee he would go back to how well he played just cause of Nelson. But if he did go back to how he used to play I would of course want him back. I personally think he helped Petry more than the other way while he was here.

I agree, but that was then and this is now and its mostly a moot point, I dont know how hes going to rebound after this season, hes had some serious injuries.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Injury prone, over paid and not very good...not sure what the point would be. We have plenty of interchangeable pieces to play in the bottom pairing. Pass..

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
He's garbage. End of ****ing thread.
Can't even believe you typed that over Lad ****ing Smid.

But now that you bring it up, it was one of Lowe's biggest failures, and that's always a good thing to remind people of. He was brought in and sold as a future top pairing defender for years to come. LOL!!! Ah, Lowe. You are truly going to be timeless. People will never forget your moronic antics, Fegelein style.
He was never more than a #4 at his very best.

In Smid's best offensive year, he scored 15 points
Klefbom has 17 points so far this year. As a rookie. Think about that for a second.

At least they didn't make a spectactular failure in choosing Klefbom, unlike Smid. LOL, great scouting Lowe. Stupid moron. What an idiot, seriously. Knocked in the head too long. Probably has an IQ of less than a chimp. Wish I could say I feel sorry for him.

Having Smid is hardly the difference of being a playoff team or not. And let's say he did help us a BIT, do you really want to be ahead of Toronto and Carolina in the tank standings?

Hey, I'll be back to respond to the flamers later. I know plenty will somehow be offended over this--over comments about a #6 Dman on a good team, but I won't be shocked.

Did Smid sleep with your girlfriend or something? :laugh:

First of all I never said he would be the first guy we should target in a trade. I'm just saying that if MacT is planning on sticking with this D core with hopes that Nurse can come in and become a steady, responsible Dman in his first season, than Smid could be an option to bring in as a depth guy. I did say it would be a risky move given his contract situation, but it could be a risk worth taken if he could get back to the guy he was pre Eakins playing under Nelson who has a track record of getting guys to play to their ability. Plus, like many already mentioned, he would be an upgrade over some of the guys we got on the roster going into next year.

With reference to the bold part, you do realize the trade deadline has passed and I meant picking him up in the offseason if no other deals are made to improve our D right? Trading for a guy in the offseason obviously don't affect our place in the standings this season. And to answer your question, yes, I do want to keep winning games and watching exciting games for a change and seeing this team show pride and potential for the first time in years. But that's a topic for another day.

Also bringing up offensive stats is a moot point when talking about Smid in my opinion. He never was, and never should have been, considered an offensive Dman during his tenure with this team. He was a shut down Dman and damn good one at that, and that's one thing every team needs in order to be successful in this league.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Did Smid sleep with your girlfriend or something? :laugh:

First of all I never said he would be the first guy we should target in a trade. I'm just saying that if MacT is planning on sticking with this D core with hopes that Nurse can come in and become a steady, responsible Dman in his first season, than Smid could be an option to bring in as a depth guy. I did say it would be a risky move given his contract situation, but it could be a risk worth taken if he could get back to the guy he was pre Eakins playing under Nelson who has a track record of getting guys to play to their ability. Plus, like many already mentioned, he would be an upgrade over some of the guys we got on the roster going into next year.

With reference to the bold part, you do realize the trade deadline has passed and I meant picking him up in the offseason if no other deals are made to improve our D right? Trading for a guy in the offseason obviously don't affect our place in the standings this season. And to answer your question, yes, I do want to keep winning games and watching exciting games for a change and seeing this team show pride and potential for the first time in years. But that's a topic for another day.

Also bringing up offensive stats is a moot point when talking about Smid in my opinion. He never was, and never should have been, considered an offensive Dman during his tenure with this team. He was a shut down Dman and damn good one at that, and that's one thing every team needs in order to be successful in this league.

He's fallen off so bad. So, so bad. Please, sweet God, no. No, no, no.
Where's that "The Office" gif when you need it. That "Please God no!" gif. That's how I feel about. Smid is a shell of what he was when he was at his best, and he wasn't even all that good at that time, was my point. I understood your post completely, and I know what you were trying to say, and was reading between the lines. Last thing we need is Smid at this point (I don't remember any playoff seasons with him aboard, not that it was only his fault, of course--I would never say that. But he was never the big difference maker he was sold to us as eventually being; he never came close to his supposed billing). I'm sorry, but he's pretty much finished. We need 2 or 3 LEGIT top 4 Dmen, not more bottom pairing guys, like Ference and Nikitin, which Smid would qualify now as. Just please no.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Would rather have Smid on the bottom pairing over Ference or Nitikin, he can at least play some defense.

Makes less too.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I agree, but that was then and this is now and its mostly a moot point, I dont know how hes going to rebound after this season, hes had some serious injuries.

Agreed.

I kind of find it funny. I am a Ference supporter. I don't think he has played half as bad as most do here. He seems to start out well and then fade as the season goes on. I love his intangibles grit, leadership etc...

Smid has most of those qualities.

Ference is a better leader, slightly more offensive, but smaller and not as good defensively.

At the time we got Ference I was pretty pumped. I knew we would be getting a #4/5 guy at best. Don't mind his cap hit and love his "intangibles".

But at the end of the day I think we would have been better keeping Smid and not getting Ference purely because having a bigger more defensive style player is more of what we could have used in the last 2 years.

This is very much a case of hindsight tho. Smid was on his way down and Ference from an all around view appeared to be the better player.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
He's fallen off so bad. So, so bad. Please, sweet God, no. No, no, no.
Where's that "The Office" gif when you need it. That "Please God no!" gif. That's how I feel about. Smid is a shell of what he was when he was at his best, and he wasn't even all that good at that time, was my point. I understood your post completely, and I know what you were trying to say, and was reading between the lines. Last thing we need is Smid at this point (I don't remember any playoff seasons with him aboard, not that it was only his fault, of course--I would never say that. But he was never the big difference maker he was sold to us as eventually being; he never came close to his supposed billing). I'm sorry, but he's pretty much finished. We need 2 or 3 LEGIT top 4 Dmen, not more bottom pairing guys, like Ference and Nikitin, which Smid would qualify now as. Just please no.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I completely understand that Smid,right now, is not what he used to be, and if there's better options out there then obviously i'd take them over Smid. My main reason for starting this thread was that lately i've been thinking, with all the other players resurrecting their games under Nelson and seeing how Eakins played a negative role on a lot of the guys here, would Smid have had the same fate and found his game again like the rest of the guys did. I just wanted to see if others thought the same thing as well.

With regards to the whole re-acquiring him, I was thinking about, and probably should have, not included that in my post, but it was just something else that crossed my mind and how he could be an upgrade over some of the other depth guys we got here now. Especially if he found his game again.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
Agreed.

I kind of find it funny. I am a Ference supporter. I don't think he has played half as bad as most do here. He seems to start out well and then fade as the season goes on. I love his intangibles grit, leadership etc...

Smid has most of those qualities.

Ference is a better leader, slightly more offensive, but smaller and not as good defensively.

At the time we got Ference I was pretty pumped. I knew we would be getting a #4/5 guy at best. Don't mind his cap hit and love his "intangibles".

But at the end of the day I think we would have been better keeping Smid and not getting Ference purely because having a bigger more defensive style player is more of what we could have used in the last 2 years.

This is very much a case of hindsight tho. Smid was on his way down and Ference from an all around view appeared to be the better player.

I'll agree and disagree with you there though, I knew what we were getting with Ference but I never thought hed be nearly as bad as this on the ice. Ference has been nothing short of a turnstyle in his own end.

I'm sorry, but if he was going to live up to the farce of being made Captain before even putting the jersey on he at least had to anchor the 3rd Defence pairing. If it wasnt for Nikitin (who has no excuse) Ference would be this team's worst defenceman.

So I agree that we'd have been better off with Smid than Ference though, for me theres no question of that.

At the end of the day though debating who would be better between Smid and Ference really shows a big reason why this team is in the basement.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I completely understand that Smid,right now, is not what he used to be, and if there's better options out there then obviously i'd take them over Smid. My main reason for starting this thread was that lately i've been thinking, with all the other players resurrecting their games under Nelson and seeing how Eakins played a negative role on a lot of the guys here, would Smid have had the same fate and found his game again like the rest of the guys did. I just wanted to see if others thought the same thing as well.

With regards to the whole re-acquiring him, I was thinking about, and probably should have, not included that in my post, but it was just something else that crossed my mind and how he could be an upgrade over some of the other depth guys we got here now. Especially if he found his game again.

I really don't think so. He's on a good team in Calgary, and they are rarely playing him, even when he's not hurt. Their defense is good, but it's not THAT good after the top four of Gio, Brodie, Russell (whom we should've claimed off waivers before the Flames did, and I wanted us to!), and Wideman. After that, it's kind of a mish-mash of long-time established bottom pairing, or even #7 guys, in Engelland, Diaz, Potter (yikes!), etc.

Maybe he would be better than Nikitin, who has looked (for the most part) like he's never played the position of defenseman in his life, wandering off everywhere, and just some of the worst positioning I've ever seen. Ference, I'm not sure. Probably would be a saw off. Not much difference.

I think most of our resources and attention should be finding at least 2 top 4 Dmen. That is SOOOO important for this team to have any success AT ALL next season. It's by far our weakest point of our club, along with goaltending. Hence my pretty strong reaction to worrying about a guy who is now mostly just useless. I like Smiddy as a person, but as a player, I must be objective, and he's just not very good any more. He's not what we need. Even adding him to our bottom pairing is not going to help anything if we don't add 2 top 4 defensemen, and that's the main point I'm trying to make, I guess. That it's all moot unless we get that.

So, my thinking is, let's get those 2 top 4 guys first, however we need to do it. Then adding a good goalie or two. Then worry about dressing up our bottom pairing if it's possible. Also realize, it would require moving Nikitin or Ference, which I think would be VERY hard. Nikitin was a 'prize' signing for MacT, and he has too much pride to just let him sit, or to trade him, I think. Maybe I'm wrong. Trying to fit Smid in just makes everything so much more complicated for what MIGHT be a small upgrade in an area that shouldn't be of big concern right now. We have much bigger fish to fry.

Another thing is that we have TONS of left-shooting Dmen, and this is a relatively important thing to remember. Nurse is also a left-handed shot, and he'll likely be thrown into the fire and be put on either the first or second pairing. So that would make: Klefbom, Nurse, Marincin, Ference, and Nikitin who are all left handed, and are all under contract. Five guys with three spots to fill on the left side. Naturally one or maybe two will have to switch sides, but this is not a great situation to have. Out of all those guys, I think only Nikitin can comfortably switch to the right side: he's equally horrible on both. :D
So adding Smid would make it six, as he's a left shot.

There's just so many things that make this a tough fit. It's a lot of work to fit in a guy who's just a #6, maybe #5 guy (I'll be generous) at best now. I just don't see the "why." It doesn't add enough to the team for the work it would take to make him fit and have a spot, among other things. Must be wise when expending resources--or, it's usually best to, of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad