lack of physical players. this has to change. not a playoff style of team, if they make it

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
2013 had Bolland, Bickell and Shaw in their top 9 so this isn’t accurate at all.

I don’t think you can really grit your way to a cup, but it does need to be there in a way that is more significant than what we’re running out there. It’s not a coincidence that Tampa finally won once they started to add these guys.

one reason I wanted Marroon before he signed with the Bolts. teams need a balance for the playoffs. don't fans realize that teams that are too finesse really don't do much in the playoffs. even the Penguins and Wings teams that won had their balance of grit and skill. give me a Draper, McCarty, Lapointe, type on this team.

I would love Greenway in the offseason.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think most of us agree, but the post isn’t necessarily talking about making the playoffs, but that to have success in the playoffs you need to play gritty. I don’t necessarily agree with that but that’s what op is saying.
I think that you are starting to see that via what Gorton has been drafting. Robertson, Cuyelle, Berard. The transition to a roster that can take the team on a deep run, will be made over time.

Reactions: haveandare

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
they also have had players Andrew Shaw, Carcillo, and Big Buff and the Glass version of Bollig... Rangers only have Lindgren who can be compared to those types. soft teams do not do anything in the playoffs. need players to send messages from game to game, that still does happen in the playoffs

Byfuglien was long gone by their 2nd Cup. Carcillo and Bollig were not regulars in their Cup wins. Yes, Shaw was there, but those were very much finesse teams. That's not to say that some players didn't have an element of grit to their personalities on the ice... Bolland and Seabrook, for example... but that's no different than what we see out of a guy like Kreider. And they had guys who were good on the forecheck, like Bickell. But when you compare to a team like LA or Boston, the Blackhawks were soft. So, for that matter, were the Penguins teams that won Cups.

I think we need more forecheck oriented players, but specifically grit... it's not necessary.

Being harder to play against can be more of a team mindset of playing with tenacity than it is profile of the players on the roster.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
its a need,
hand in glove w Quinn's wanting more North-South,
but NOT Urgent/immediate,
not worth overpay or hasty trade
true Cup contention not likely next season either
I trust Gorts and JD to get us there

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
You don’t need tough guys really, you need guys who are hard to play against. I think the plan is to see who among the kids ends up that way once they’re more comfortable with playing at this level, and then supplement from there. Also the team has too many players as is with the vet and kids overlapping right now, sort out who is here for the long term among both camps and then add in around them.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like tough hockey. The hitting, the fighting—all of that. Hockey fights.com is favorited on my computer.

That said I think people need to understand where we are right now and pause for a moment because as the old saying goes ‘Rome wasn’t built in a day’. The Rangers I’ve seen this year certainly aren’t super tough but they’re not exactly pushovers either. 14 fights this year which puts them more towards the top than the bottom of the league and their overall physical play is at least average and it should be kept in mind this is not the 80’s or 90’s anymore. If it were Ross Johnston would be an every day player. Keep in mind as well—Lafreniere, Kakko and Kravtsov have almost no NHL playoff experience and it’s extremely unlikely they’re going to become Stanley Cup champions after their first kick at the can.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm less concerned about the abstract concept of grit, and more concerned about the willingness of the team to switch to a more simple, cynical style of hockey where you just throw pucks on the net that is what 80% of playoff hockey becomes.

It's not known for it's beautiful tic tac toe goals because everyone is playing safe, defensive hockey and is rarely out of position.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Our roster, as currently constructed, basically affords the opportunity to add a tough defenseman (Braden Schneider?) and then maybe someone tough to the bottom six at the expense of a Howden or Rooney (although I think Rooney is just fine). Not really much maneuverability, and honestly I think that's fine.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
so guys like laf/kakko/chytil, kreider, are big strong fast, who have potential to thrive in a playoff environment. You don't neccessarily need to ice 12 matt martin's to success in the playoffs, so long as you can absorb hits and play in the dirty areas.
If your skilled players can play below the dots, you dont need to add those types of players to your roster.
Kakko and Chytil are p***yes lol

Reactions: Slaydagnar

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Bolland/Bickell earned themselves major cash with their postseason performances. It wasn't a team full of Kanes.

yeah it was not a good example.

their 2015 team kind of fit that bill though.

Our roster, as currently constructed, basically affords the opportunity to add a tough defenseman (Braden Schneider?) and then maybe someone tough to the bottom six at the expense of a Howden or Rooney (although I think Rooney is just fine). Not really much maneuverability, and honestly I think that's fine.

I’d say that we have spots in the top 6 where we could use some diversity/grit/lean or what ever you want to call it too.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
You don’t need to be the Blues or Bruins to win the Cup.

but they did win the Cup right? Carolina pushed the Rangers all over the ice. Last game the Isles won the boards. We saw how Columbus swept the Tampa ice capade until they added some power.

This finesse team needs an influx of grit IMO b/c that playoff ice will shrink.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I’d say that we have spots in the top 6 where we could use some diversity/grit/lean or what ever you want to call it too.
I just meant, when you have:

Zibanejad
Panarin
Kreider
Strome
Buchnevich
Kakko
Chytil
Lafreniere
Kravtsov

...there's not really much room to add tougher/grittier players. The two most obvious candidates to move would be Buchnevich, who has actually toughened up quite a bit and even gotten a little nasty, and Strome. So unless you move them, there's not really much room in the top of the lineup to make any adjustments.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Zibanejad
Panarin
Kreider
Strome
Buchnevich
Kakko
Chytil
Lafreniere
Kravtsov

...there's not really much room to add tougher/grittier players. The two most obvious candidates to move would be Buchnevich, who has actually toughened up quite a bit and even gotten a little nasty, and Strome. So unless you move them, there's not really much room in the top of the lineup to make any adjustments.

those would be the guys tbh.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019

Zibanejad
Panarin
Kreider
Strome
Buchnevich
Kakko
Chytil
Lafreniere
Kravtsov

I would gladly say goodbye to Howden, Rooney, or Blackwell if they could roll out a 4th line with Barron, Rooney/Howden, and a Matt Martin type player next season. The top 9 won't be tough, but they should be tough to play against.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
57mx38.jpg

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Whenever we have guys who are useful forecheckers this board does nothing about complain about them in particular. You crucified Boyle, you gave birth every time Fast played more than 10 minutes, and Kreider got destroyed even when he was one of the most effective players in the league. As Kakko matures, he'll be getting it next, because he's *only* dominating the puck instead of committing murders, and we'll read all about how this 35-35 Selke winner would be actually good if he just cared.

You would be bitching about Bennett after half a season just like you were bitching about Lemieux after half a season because those guys spend 90% of their time taking regular hockey shifts (often not well!) instead of the things and stuff you want.

This team is consistently near the top in fights and PIM's and top half in hits over the last three seasons. What more should we be doing?

Forechecking better? Yes. But the people who complain about this never seem to be satisfied with strong, forechecking hockey. They just want fights and guys elbowing the f*** out of each other. That's what New Japan is for. This is hockey.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would gladly say goodbye to Howden, Rooney, or Blackwell if they could roll out a 4th line with Barron, Rooney/Howden, and a Matt Martin type player next season. The top 9 won't be tough, but they should be tough to play against.
The only one of those three that I'd actively like to get rid of is Howden. Rooney is useful, he's sound defensively, kills penalties, and can chip in offensively. Blackwell I feel like is bound to be moved, and that's fine, but not just for the sake of moving him; he's chippy and tough to play against for a little guy, and as we know he's a decent offensive contributor.

Howden can get bent.

That said, Barron-Rooney-some guy is totally fine by me. I just wouldn't want to move Blackwell just for the sake of moving him, though.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Whenever we have guys who are useful forecheckers this board does nothing about complain about them in particular. You crucified Boyle, you gave birth every time Fast played more than 10 minutes, and Kreider got destroyed even when he was one of the most effective players in the league. As Kakko matures, he'll be getting it next, because he's *only* dominating the puck instead of committing murders, and we'll read all about how this 35-35 Selke winner would be actually good if he just cared.

You would be bitching about Bennett after half a season just like you were bitching about Lemieux after half a season because those guys spend 90% of their time taking regular hockey shifts (often not well!) instead of the things and stuff you want.

This team is consistently near the top in fights and PIM's and top half in hits over the last three seasons. What more should we be doing?

Forechecking better? Yes. But the people who complain about this never seem to be satisfied with strong, forechecking hockey. They just want fights and guys elbowing the f*** out of each other. That's what New Japan is for. This is hockey.

Its perplexing to call for more physicality when literally nothing in our game plan calls for it.

We don't aggressively forecheck. We don't cycle. We usually don't dump and chase. We don't shoot and crash. We don't obstruct in the neutral zone so there is rarely board work there. We aren't aggressive at our own blueline. Our top 3 hitters per 60 are the two guys we regularly scratch and the guy we traded.

At what point in our game plan is all this new physicality going to take place?

That is one thing that has perplexed me for a while. For all the "we need more size for the playoffs!" comments, people seem to be completely ok with us playing a style that really doesn't call for size and really isn't built, at least in the traditional sense, for the playoffs.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The only one of those three that I'd actively like to get rid of is Howden. Rooney is useful, he's sound defensively, kills penalties, and can chip in offensively. Blackwell I feel like is bound to be moved, and that's fine, but not just for the sake of moving him; he's chippy and tough to play against for a little guy, and as we know he's a decent offensive contributor.

Howden can get bent.

That said, Barron-Rooney-some guy is totally fine by me. I just wouldn't want to move Blackwell just for the sake of moving him, though.

What can't some guy = Gauthier?

Reactions: bernmeister

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Its perplexing to call for more physicality when literally nothing in our game plan calls for it.

We don't aggressively forecheck. We don't cycle. We usually don't dump and chase. We don't shoot and crash. We don't obstruct in the neutral zone so there is rarely board work there. We aren't aggressive at our own blueline. Our top 3 hitters per 60 are the two guys we regularly scratch and the guy we traded.

At what point in our game plan is all this new physicality going to take place?

That is one thing that has perplexed me for a while. For all the "we need more size for the playoffs!" comments, people seem to be completely ok with us playing a style that really doesn't call for size and really isn't built, at least in the traditional sense, for the playoffs.

I don't think adding a guy that plays on the edge and adds some nastiness to the lineup means you have to change the way the rest of the lineup plays.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

YESSSSSSS.

WE ALWAYS DUMP AND CHASE AND NEVER CARRY THE PUCK FIRE QUINN (false of course) was a complaint around here just a month ago. And when we turn it over at the offensive blue line Buch style (sorry Pavel, you're the biggest culprit, but he's also great at recovery after) trying to force the issue, that's also COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE FIRE QUINN

Do they think Matt Martin is dipsy doodling his way in? We do need to be more effective at heavier play styles so when teams clog the NZ we can win the necessary puck battles to get zone time and possession. I always compare us mentally to those Kings teams, just cycling the puck on us down low repeatedly and firing away until something made it's way it. Maybe it was their black and white jerseys that made them seem bigger, but they seemed to own us physically along the boards that whole series. Sprinkle in some serious skill which we are developing/have and you got a recipe for success. Don't need glass crashing big hitters, just a few more tougher guys on the 3rd and 4th lines who are willing and happy to take a hit to make a play, or give a hit to make a play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad