lack of physical players. this has to change. not a playoff style of team, if they make it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number 9

What rhymes with Gagne?
Oct 14, 2008
Park City, UT
Getting players with grit is absolutely a part of building the team, and I bet Gorton and JD would say the same thing.

Simply put and how I feel also. Some on the site are going over board saying we want 12 matt martin's or we are trilobite's (seriously) when no one said this and is an exaggeration. Grit and toughness doesn't mean the same thing it did 15 years ago, I will say having legit players who can deter dangerous plays is helpful. Trouba, lindgren, chytil, smith all got smoked and some hurt. Who's next laf or Kaako? we have skilled young players who need to be looked after to a certain degree both with leadership and some form of basic protection. For the record I like a good scrap or hit when the time calls for it, I am not a person who asks for a fight a game I just acknowledge aggressiveness and physicality is part of the game and at times needs to be kept in check.

Number 9

What rhymes with Gagne?
Oct 14, 2008
Park City, UT
Grinders to play on which lines? The top two lines with our most skilled players? If so - at the expense of playing time for which of our developing young forwards?

players with a bit more skill a bigger body then Rooney, Howden, and Blackwell. I would be looking at 3rd line and 4th line interchangeable players. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: leetch99

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Also while the premise of this thread isn't completely invalid, I do think that the idea should be to bring more diversity to the lineup rather than just "physical players." Its an element that we're missing for sure, but its not the only one.

Reactions: leetch99 and CLW

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Also while the premise of this thread isn't completely invalid, I do think that the idea should be to bring more diversity to the lineup rather than just "physical players." Its an element that we're missing for sure, but its not the only one.
the mindset/mentality seems to have shifted. We do need more sandpaper... but even a player like Lemmy, when he first got here compared to this season, was way different imo.

We lack intensity and urgency. We play like we're on xanax far too often

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
We need more ugly. More ugly goals, more traffic in the crease, batting in rebounds. The top 6 is highly skilled and effective against the bad teams, but all those east-west passes aren't going to work against the teams with good defensive structure unless we catch them in transition, which usually only happens off good defensive plays in the neutral zone/defensive blue line. Teams like the Islanders are happy to dump and chase, pound us in the corners, and then make us go 200 feet through their defense to try to generate offense. Our top 6 really isn't capable of playing that type of game, not consistently.

The line with Kreider, Chytil and Kakko plays more of a grinder game. They get the puck in deep and go to work. With one or two key moves, and progress from Kakko, Chytil and Laf, this team can become dynamic enough to compete regardless of how the other team wants to play. Skilled enough to trade chances off the rush and hard-nosed enough to cycle in the offensive zone and grind the other team down.
They could improve the amount of rebounds they generate. Most teams in the NHL have around 20-25 rebound goals this season.

upload_2021-5-1_17-6-17.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad