Proposal: LA - PHI

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I feel like a lot of HFBoards posters really forget the entire objective of NHL teams (it's to win the cup)

Patrick is fantastic, but Carter is the better player right now, and you get Muzzin to solidify your back end. It makes the Flyers far more competitive now, at the cost of having the aging players in the future.

That's how you make trades when you want to compete. You'd still have Rubtsov and Frost long term, and your #1 guy is only 25. You would be loading up for a solid run at the cup this season, before having to let go of Wayne in the off-season --- you would still be a solid cup contender for the next few years with an insanely deep top 6.

Carter's deal expires the same time as Giroux's (2022/2023) --- at that point, the Flyers could completely re-tool by trading Giroux and Carter at the TDL if they aren't competitive (both players being experienced Cs will likely see them fetch something substantial).

At that point, JVR will have one year left, and Voracek two, they could sell them off as well as rental +1 and rental +2s, be it at the draft or TDL.

New Jersey, Carolina, Montreal, Islanders, Rangers and Buffalo are teams that are only going to get better and better throughout the next few years in the East.

Toronto and Tampa will stay competitive for the next 5+ years

Boston, Pittsburgh and Washington will slow down.

The Flyers are somewhere right in between the teams that will get better, and the teams that will stay competitive; just think this is one of the better times for them to compete for a cup.

If the Flyers harbor any hopes of winning a cup anytime soon, the first move they need to make is to fire Hakstol.

the second move would be to get a good NHL goalie that can nurse Carter Hart along. this may not be popular opinion among most flyers fans, but i dont expect him to be a vezina winner in his first year or two. We'd need someone who could steal games for us occasionally when the offense has bad puck luck - like last night.

Carter and Muzzin would upgrade the roster for sure, but they arent the glaring holes on the roster. Patrick has 30 points over his last 50 games or something like that, and looks better with almost every game. There's no reason to rush anything right now.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
If Hextall actually had a coach in charge that made his team a contender this year, which he doesn't, Carter would be a great add since he can play center and RW. I would rather add Carter for picks + prospects, than a RHD with term who would be blocking Myers.

Giroux-Couturier-Konency
JVR-Carter-Voracek
Lindblom-Patrick-Simmonds
Raffl-Laughton-Weise/Weal
Lehtera

Then next year when Simmonds is gone and center prospects like Frost, Rubtsov and Vorobyev come up, Carter can move to RW as needed.

what do you want for Simmonds?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I feel like a lot of HFBoards posters really forget the entire objective of NHL teams (it's to win the cup)

Patrick is fantastic, but Carter is the better player right now, and you get Muzzin to solidify your back end. It makes the Flyers far more competitive now, at the cost of having the aging players in the future.

That's how you make trades when you want to compete. You'd still have Rubtsov and Frost long term, and your #1 guy is only 25. You would be loading up for a solid run at the cup this season, before having to let go of Wayne in the off-season --- you would still be a solid cup contender for the next few years with an insanely deep top 6.

Carter's deal expires the same time as Giroux's (2022/2023) --- at that point, the Flyers could completely re-tool by trading Giroux and Carter at the TDL if they aren't competitive (both players being experienced Cs will likely see them fetch something substantial).

At that point, JVR will have one year left, and Voracek two, they could sell them off as well as rental +1 and rental +2s, be it at the draft or TDL.

New Jersey, Carolina, Montreal, Islanders, Rangers and Buffalo are teams that are only going to get better and better throughout the next few years in the East.

Toronto and Tampa will stay competitive for the next 5+ years

Boston, Pittsburgh and Washington will slow down.

The Flyers are somewhere right in between the teams that will get better, and the teams that will stay competitive; just think this is one of the better times for them to compete for a cup.

You wrote a whole lot for no reason. Yes, the goal is to win a Cup. They're in no position to do that this year. They have more chances, and probably better chances, of doing that with Patrick under team control from ages 20 to 26 (and however long they want to pay him after that) than with Jeff Carter between the ages of 34 and 38.

Patrick's early career production is pretty similar to Carter's: Nolan has put up 39 points since the start of his career, Jeff had 44 after the same number of games played. Patrick also finished his first NHL season at age 19, Carter was 21 after his rookie year and had played one more year in juniors and an entire AHL playoff before making the leap. Jeff had his career year at age 24 and posted 4 out of his 5 highest goal totals between the ages of 23 and 26.

Nolan Patrick is going to be a very, very good player at that age. There's every reason to believe Patrick will be a better NHL player than Carter when all is said and done, and he will absolutely be a better player than him in 2020 and beyond.

So, are you kidding here?

Last edited:

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Im still beating the drum of carter for Vorobyev+. Carter is the kind of player who needs the right guys to be effective and i think Philly has those guys. La is looking to get younger while still remaining competitive. Voro should play this year and the plus depends on whether la wants a current player or pick

Reactions: Grebinator

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Really o wow.. I guess you read one post per thread or something.. good luck rebuilding.

I actually gave an example of flipping UFA during the season by rebuilding team... I guess you missed that or something..
You have given 1 example that happened in 2007. That should be an indication of how common it is for a rebuilding team to trade for an upcoming Ufa and then flip them. It seems like poor asset management. Once league gm’s know you are looking to get something for an upcoming ufa you don’t plan to resign you lose a lot of negotiating power. You seem to want to argue your point but Simmonds does not make sense for the Kings if they are moving out Carter and rebuilding.

Cosmic avenger

Oct 27, 2018
The only players i would be interested ftom la are daughty or quick.
For daughty iwould offer gosht 2019 and 2020 1st myers .german robstov
Would love provorov daughty top pairing

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
The only players i would be interested ftom la are daughty or quick.
For daughty iwould offer gosht 2019 and 2020 1st myers .german robstov
Would love provorov daughty top pairing

Who the hell is Daughty? Lol

But in all seriousness...that's an ugly offer. Think about one of Partick or Konecny will need to be added in place of ghost. And a switch of a better prospect than Myers

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

But in all seriousness...that's an ugly offer. Think about one of Partick or Konecny will need to be added in place of ghost. And a switch of a better prospect than Myers

Ignoring horrendous value...seems like you don't know much about Myers. He's our 1/2 prospect with frost.

Cosmic avenger

Oct 27, 2018

I think it a fair deal look at other top d got in pass like pronger 21st lupul and a prospect partick is a no go from me would rather spend money in free agent d than that.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think it a fair deal look at other top d got in pass like pronger 21st lupul and a prospect partick is a no go from me would rather spend money in free agent d than that.

Pronger asked for a trade and wanted out, seriously diminishing his value, and he still got that kind of return. That's not the situation at all with Doughty so expect more.

If the Kings really wanted to trade DD, there are teams that would do a lot better than that.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal
Pronger asked for a trade and wanted out, seriously diminishing his value, and he still got that kind of return. That's not the situation at all with Doughty so expect more.

If the Kings really wanted to trade DD, there are teams that would do a lot better than that.
A LOT better than Ghost, Myers, Rubstov & 2 x 1st? Can you provide some examples?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad