La liga 2021-2022 Part II: It’s Perez World and We’re Just Living In It

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Interesting. I get nothing is easy but the man is well paid and he's got to be better. David sure isn't struggling with those same defenders.
Not true.
David struggled much more than Messi at first.
Messi will adjust too.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
beIN lost the rights to La Liga so I have been barely been able to watch a match this season, but I admit I have no idea who scored the goals for Barca today. Gavi? Blanc? Who?
Gavi was MOTM.
To me Dembele was second. One assist, one secondary assist and what could have been 3 more assists.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Hazard will start for Madrid tomorrow. Not because half the team is in quarantine but because he's been training well according to Ancelotti :laugh:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Very happy with the result today and also happy with the performance. The team definitely needed to win and they got one playing some of the best football we’ve seen them play all season. Yes they did let into goals they’d letting Elche back in it, but overall I felt that there was plenty to be happy about.

-Gavi was easily the Man of the Match for me. Hard to believe he’s only a 17 year old. The kid is all over the place and it was great to hear the Camp Nou chanting his name. Nico was being professional and a good teammate after the match with his comments about the entire team contributing, but the kids are carrying them right now and Gavi is leading the way. Excellent call from him and it’s too bad he didn’t have a second.
-Really liked that the attack was pretty balanced down both flanks and that both wingers were dangerous. With Dembele it’s an expectation and with Abde it’s a pleasant surprise. The kid has definitely stepped up to the plate and nearly created a goal which would have been Gavi’s second.
-I also really liked the direct approach in attack and the runs that were being made. Can you get the players to pick out the runs, we just need more runs like that and then some better finishing.
- Frankie was a disappointment today despite that lovely backheel he did to control the ball out of the air. He really disappeared in this one at times. I wouldn’t mind seeing him play as the DM if we ever give Busquets a rest.
-Very nice performance from Ferran. His presence definitely made a difference out there and felt like the first time in a long time that we had a real striker out there. Is moving off the ball was good and I also liked his shot placement. He also took his goal well considering Araujo must surely have been obstructing him at minimum somewhat. I don’t see a future for him in the first team but for now he’ll do.
-Alba was almost a LM today with the positions he was taken up and with his contribution in attack.

For me today’s match showed Xavi’s influence perhaps more than any other. Really hope we get to see him with a fully fit squad, less the dead weight and with some good reinforcements.

You only focus on the positive though. He has several failed actions too tonight. Still makes plenty of wrong/low IQ decisions too. It's always the good and the bad with him, I don't think that will ever change.

This. First and foremost it’s only ever the positive. Second, and from what I can tell it was the first half being discussed at the time to be fair, but Dembele was by no means perfect and no way should he have had three easy assists. He had at least one hit and hope cross and another one that was kicked right at the defender. He fell over under virtually no pressure from the defender. He also made a sloppy pass which was the giveaway on their first goal, and after heaving given the ball away on that play there was pretty much no room between him and the sideline and still the Elche player went right past him. Not much of that was a big deal because I am very happy with the positives that I saw, but by no means was his performance perfect.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
This is just a lie : YES he could have had 4 assists by the 30th minute and I explained EXACTLY which plays.
Please tell me which of those shouldn't have been assists, please do, I'm eager to hear.
To make it easier, I'll remind you of the plays again :
- chip pass to the Espanol guy over the defense, all alone on goal, but the guy missed his control.
- assist on the corner. I'm sure even you will agree that's not debatable ;)
- pass to FDJ in a great position (inside the 6 meters IIRC) to score and FDJ missed the ball completely.
- pass to the espanol guy deep one on one with the goalie and he shot at the goalie.

The *only* arguable one was the FDJ because he was a bit on the side of the goal so it wouldn't have been an easy goal to make, but at worst a secondary assist.
The "hope" cross was certainly a good one since it arrived on a Barca's player's head.

And all the "negatives" you brought up came up after Savi's post (inside the first 30 mn).

I missed Elche's first goal, so I won't comment on the play.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Hoping these games are showing the Board we should go back to our winning ways which was trusting La Masia and the process, and stop buying foreign players for idiotic sums, who are used to playing a completely different style.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
This is just a lie : YES he could have had 4 assists by the 30th minute and I explained EXACTLY which plays.
Please tell me which of those shouldn't have been assists, please do, I'm eager to hear.
To make it easier, I'll remind you of the plays again :
- chip pass to the Espanol guy over the defense, all alone on goal, but the guy missed his control.
- assist on the corner. I'm sure even you will agree that's not debatable ;)
- pass to FDJ in a great position (inside the 6 meters IIRC) to score and FDJ missed the ball completely.
- pass to the espanol guy deep one on one with the goalie and he shot at the goalie.

The *only* arguable one was the FDJ because he was a bit on the side of the goal so it wouldn't have been an easy goal to make, but at worst a secondary assist.
The "hope" cross was certainly a good one since it arrived on a Barca's player's head.

And all the "negatives" you brought up came up after Savi's post (inside the first 30 mn).

I missed Elche's first goal, so I won't comment on the play.

LOL, "a lie". He could have had 3 additional assists, but I specifically said "easy assists" and the chances weren't exactly as great as you made them seem. To be fair, I wouldn't say that's Dembele's fault at all.

-Chip pass is a great example. GREAT pass, but Ferran really needs to one-time that, and with a ball coming over like that with the GK rushing out as he did and his proximity to Ferran, there aren't a lot of players who bury that chance. Mbappe' immediately comes to mind, but a lot of other strikers don't. Only other option is a deft touch to one side or the other and then you've likely got the defender to contend with.
-Assist on the corner sure, but as I noted (and I saw somewhere post match as well), Ferran has plenty to do there with Araujo obstructing him (based on a still I saw post match he was even more obstructed than I thought). Also, I'm not even sure he was the intended target. I think it was Araujo.
-Again, an excellent ball, but I think as you note he was to the side of the goal. Either way Frenkie flubbed it (as I think he was between two minds as to what he should do).
-Don't remember that one exactly.

Either way, the point is that they weren't all easy chances. And I gave Dembele plenty of credit. Also though, he had at least two crosses that were right at defenders and another that was hit and hope. Then you've got the giveaway that led to the goal, his inability to defend on said play (even though I don't blame him entirely for the goal) and the other play where he fell over under virtually not pressure.

I understand they came up after Savi's post and in my post I accounted for that by saying "from what I can tell it was the first half being discussed at the time to be fair."

At the end of the day I gave him credit for a good performance, but that's not to say it was perfect either. And he needs to put in A LOT more performances like between now and the end of the season.

Not as if I said so weeks ago.

And? Not as if the vast majority of the Cules said this years ago.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Might have to watch the Athletic Club-Betis match. Cools Betis off a bit. Fekir looks to be having his best season in La Liga this year.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Barcelona to start Nou Camp renovation/expansion.

"The Catalan club have said they will have to play with part of the stadium closed in 2022-23, while in 2023-24 it's likely they will have to play elsewhere in the city, with the Olympic Stadium in the Montjuic neighborhood one option. They would return to Camp Nou in 2024-25 as the final stages of the work are completed.The €1.5bn project will see Barca transform their ground into a 105,000-seater stadium."

Barcelona approve €1.5bn Camp Nou revamp

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
IDK about the Olympic Stadium. It's a pain to get to, very and I mean VERY old and decrepit. I'd rather play in Cornella, but I don't think our buddies at Espanyol are willing to help with that. We might even throw in their old bust Coutinho in the deal.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
The young guys are making the games worth watching, Gavi seems like the most passionate out of the bunch. Pedri and Fati are expected to join in a few weeks time as well

Reactions: luiginb

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Araujo looking like CR7 with that jump. Happy with our direct offensive play. Not Happy with our best CB playing on the right to accommodate Eric Garcia. Sevilla is missing a lot of players today, Kounde and Rekik as fullbacks can be their demise.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Wow, Kounde, what an idiot.

Gets shouldered/chested with a bit of force by Jordi Alba at the sidelines in a thrown-in situation and decides to throw the ball hard at Alba (it didn't quite hit Alba's face, but close enough). And gets sent off.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad