Kings News: LA Kings Re-Sign Robyn Regehr to a 2 Year Contract Extension @ $3 Million Per Season

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Ok perfect then, we have an ample amount of cap space for all these guys then. Scuderi/Voynov should both get done, we have the cap space for both. Now that I think about it, it was probably a good move on Lombardi's part to not sign Kovalchuk to that ridiculous contract, eh? #TrustInLombardi

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
I think dean did a good job signing that cheap He was making over 4 to take a cut to play in la who could have got raise easy on the open market. To me this is a good move. As i ve said before i think willie is going ltir soon So we have even more money to resign both suderi and slava.

I just don't see any team offering RR a raise from 4 mil on the open market or any market for that matter. I think 3 is about right, 3.5 more like it.

Last edited:

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Pretty good deal, not a Mitchell level of bargain but it's decent, he's been great in the playoffs. A bit concerning that they haven't been able to hammer out a deal with Voynov yet.

I wouldn't get too worried. Voynovs next contract will probably be long term and a bit more complicated. Plus I think these playoffs are still sort of a measuring stick of his growing worth.

Sydor25

LA Kings
He's over 35, so we're on the hook for the contract even if he retires. Not sure how an amnesty buyout affects 35+ contracts, I'm sure someone here has the answer.

The "cloud" with the amnesty buyout is if Mitchell is considered officially injured. He was never officially put on the Kings roster after the lockout. He's been a non-roster player all season. Not sure if that allows a buyout of an injured player.

The Kings could have suspended him before the shortened season started because he was injured outside of hockey.

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
He's over 35, so we're on the hook for the contract even if he retires. Not sure how an amnesty buyout affects 35+ contracts, I'm sure someone here has the answer.

They will just ride it out with him on LTIR for the balance of his contract. The buyout would be complicated and even if he were not an over-35 deal, I think it would have pretty limited benefit. Were they a penny-pinching team, they'd look at it, but as it is they would sooner pay him 100% and also have 100% of his salary available in cap space. With a buyout, at a minimum, 33% of his salary would still count against the cap if I am not mistaken.

All that said, I really, really, really hope to see Willie back on the ice. He is such a detailed-oriented and thoughtful guy who plays a helluva game. It would be sad to see him reach the top of the mountain and then fall right off.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Well, this is definitely better than getting caught with your pants down so to speak. If Willie can make it back, we will thank Scuds for his outstanding play and move forward. If Willie is done, Scuds can be offered an extension. Even the worst case, if neither of them come back, it's not all that bad with Muzzin and Martinez in the lineup. Certainly good enough to start the year and to see if picking up another solid SAH vet defensman is warranted.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I just don't see any team offering RR a raise from 4 mil on the open market or any market for that matter. I think 3 is about right, 3.5 more like it.

with the ufa d out there he would for sure get the 4 million he was. Teams like calgary florida all have alot of cap space and if he wanted to he would have had a bigger pay day. I could have seen someone going 9 million for 2 years.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

Defenseman get grossly overpaid in free agency, just look at Vancouver, Hamhuis, Ballard and Garrison. Paul Martin, Wade Redden and Anton Volchenkov are others who got really overpaid.

Sydor25

LA Kings
Good signing, Dean had to get this done.

Mitchell is a huge question mark and I think Scuderi wants to see what his market value is as an UFA, Dean had to get another SAH defenseman under contract for next season. It wouldn't be the end of the world if the Kings started next season with:

Regehr-Doughty
Muzzin-Voynov
Martinez-Greene
Ellerby

And if the Kings can get Scuderi under contract, Martinez can be moved.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I thought I had no feeling about this possibility until I saw the news. Not very happy about it to be honest. Needs to play much better to justify that contract.

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
At $3M I don't see why this automatically makes Mitchell done. Regher Seems like a pretty trade-able asset at that cap hit, should the need arise.

Seems to me like Dean bought himself some options, and insurance, with this deal. Another smart move.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
Not a fan of this move. He's looked below average as the post season wears on.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
At $3M I don't see why this automatically makes Mitchell done. Regher Seems like a pretty trade-able asset at that cap hit, should the need arise.

Seems to me like Dean bought himself some options, and insurance, with this deal. Another smart move.

I don't agree with this thought, but it could be because it has been speculated that he may not be ready for next season, and here they sign a defenseman that has been paired with Doughty or Voynov most of the time.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
Good signing, Dean had to get this done.

Mitchell is a huge question mark and I think Scuderi wants to see what his market value is as an UFA, Dean had to get another SAH defenseman under contract for next season. It wouldn't be the end of the world if the Kings started next season with:

Regehr-Doughty
Muzzin-Voynov
Martinez-Greene
Ellerby

And if the Kings can get Scuderi under contract, Martinez can be moved.
A Muzzin-Voynov pairing playing 20 minutes per game would get eaten alive. Muzzin

Regarding the signing, I'm not a huge fan of it. Regher has not been great in the playoffs. Adequate, I guess, but he's slow, his first passes are not good, and he's already 33. The guy's an older Matt Greene, and we already have a 30-year-old Matt Greene. Of course, Scuderi is 34, so maybe the idea here is to replace Scuderi with Regher; but in that case, I'd prefer Scuderi, who is a smarter player and helps the breakout more.

Still, I guess you have to go with what you can get. We obviously miss Mitchell tremendously, but he's gone and not coming back. There are no easy ways to replace him, and certainly not at a reasonable salary. We were extremely fortunate to have him when we did.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
A Muzzin-Voynov pairing playing 20 minutes per game would get eaten alive. Muzzin

Regarding the signing, I'm not a huge fan of it. Regher has not been great in the playoffs. Adequate, I guess, but he's slow, his first passes are not good, and he's already 33. The guy's an older Matt Greene, and we already have a 30-year-old Matt Greene. Of course, Scuderi is 34, so maybe the idea here is to replace Scuderi with Regher; but in that case, I'd prefer Scuderi, who is a smarter player and helps the breakout more.

Still, I guess you have to go with what you can get. We obviously miss Mitchell tremendously, but he's gone and not coming back. There are no easy ways to replace him, and certainly not at a reasonable salary. We were extremely fortunate to have him when we did.

I agree but I see this signing as DL covering our butts.

If DL signs Scuds to a deal it leaves us with the ability to put WM on LTIR if he isn't ready or he is ready we can make a move that will allow us to either keep all 3 Vets (unlikely) or move whichever we want.

That said I see one of our guys leaving and don't think it will be RR or WM. WM won't retire so its play or LTIR. Going to be an interesting offseason.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I thought I had no feeling about this possibility until I saw the news. Not very happy about it to be honest. Needs to play much better to justify that contract.

I feel the same, especially because the weakest part of his game is
that he is a step slower than everyone else on our D. This weakness will only get worse over the next two years. One of the only vets I ever saw improve their speed over time, was Selanne. When he was with the AV's, he had lost his speed. It was because of his knee and he had surgery.

Also seems Forbort may be fast tracked and if that goes well, may be ready by 2014-15. ?

Will be interesting to see if both Voynoz and Scuderi are signed, what becomes of: Muzzin, Ellerby and Martinez. I cannot imagine all 3 on the roster for 13-14. Maybe one of them gets packaged with Bernier in a deal.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
That's possible too. I'm not mad, just non-plussed I suppose. It likely means we won't be keeping Martinez which I do not agree with.

Man, there's no way we get rid of Martinez just because we re-signed Regehr. I see RR as a replacement for Willie Mitchell. Scuderi is a UFA, who knows if we even re-sign him? I'd rather keep Martinez over Muzzin, I hope A-Mart gets a look vs Chicago, their speed will kill Muzzin.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
lolololol so so so so bad. The guy is god awful. He should give Doughty 5 of those 6 million dollars for making him look good

but hey 33 year old minus corsi/fenwick players don't grow on trees, can't pass up the opportunity to re-sign one of them. I hear Randy Jones might be available.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
I feel the same, especially because the weakest part of his game is
that he is a step slower than everyone else on our D. This weakness will only get worse over the next two years. One of the only vets I ever saw improve their speed over time, was Selanne. When he was with the AV's, he had lost his speed. It was because of his knee and he had surgery.

Also seems Forbort may be fast tracked and if that goes well, may be ready by 2014-15. ?

Will be interesting to see if both Voynoz and Scuderi are signed, what becomes of: Muzzin, Ellerby and Martinez. I cannot imagine all 3 on the roster for 13-14. Maybe one of them gets packaged with Bernier in a deal.
We've ended up in a situation where we have a lot of guys who can play bottom-pairing minutes and situations, and do well in them, but not enough guys that can excel on the top pair. This is why Mitchell was so valuable playing alongside Doughty: he allowed everyone else to step down a level to a better fit: Scuderi on the second pairing instead of being asked to play with Doughty; Greene and Martinez on the bottom pairing where they could be protected from difficult assignments and still used on special teams.

But, I guess that's the NHL today. Top-pairing defensemen who can competently defend against the league's best forwards and still contribute to a team's transition game are, not surprisingly, a very rare commodity. It's not really surprising that it's difficult for teams to locate more than one guy that really fits that bill.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
lolololol so so so so bad. The guy is god awful. He should give Doughty 5 of those 6 million dollars for making him look good

but hey 33 year old minus corsi/fenwick players don't go on trees, can't pass up the opportunity to re-sign one of them. I hear Randy Jones might be available.
OUCH, you went there with the Randy Jones reference! I'm not too thrilled with the signing, but I wasn't going to go THAT low.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
At least Randy could do stuff with the puck. Robyn can't do stuff with the puck or play defence. 3million cap hit for him to check 3 people a game is good value though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad