Kings Article: LA Kings Pearson, Toffoli Still Have A Long Way To Go…That’s A Good Thing

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Guess I just want an offense where other teams don't start their backup goalies against the Kings, because the Kings offense is a joke... and have to listen to the whole "hot goaltender"... I mean it's still early, but the Kings just dropped a game to Dubnyk in net for the Coyotes... I mean come the **** on....

Warning signs are starting to pop up just like last season.

Edit: Still early ... so maybe it straightens out... just took a really long time to straighten out last year....

You mean that season in which we won the cup, while defeating the Sharks, Ducks, and Blackhawks? Three of the highest powered offenses in the league?

Ron*

You mean that season in which we won the cup, while defeating the Sharks, Ducks, and Blackhawks? Three of the highest powered offenses in the league?

He probably feels the Kings should have swept every series.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Kings defense can shut down the Blues.... it's kinda funny at this point.

Quick can shut down the Sharks.... Getting a little sad....

Kings as good as they are, aren't good enough to shut down the Hawks offense....

This is where the problem is for me.... knowing that the Kings can't play good enough defense alone to get by the Hawks they are going to have to score goals to compete... That's it.... Just think the Kings should put together a game plan with more/better (however you want to describe it) offense so that by the time the playoffs come around they are firing on all cylinders. Not, hey its game 3 against the sharks... just ice the puck to Pearson and see if that works.... since we haven't practiced an uptempo break out all season... Does this make sense to anyone?

Also I think it is a mistake to ride the Kings overly defensive system all year... Sure you learn how to win close games... which is frustrating because other teams come away thinking they outplayed the Kings... The reason is you don't practice the offensive skills needed once the playoffs come around... for instance... Hawks get a 3 on 1 there is stick to stick passing and a good chance generated.... Kings get a 3 on one... Gaborik passes to Kopitar... Kopitar to Brown.. .Brown banks the shot off the goalies far pad and Kopitar tries to hit a bouncing rebound.... Hawks by the time they get to the playoffs have a well oiled offense... Kings are asked to play a way they haven't all year. I don't expect the Kings offense to be as good as the Hawks.... just maybe 15th in the league? I know unreal expectations...

Offensive spark at the deadline... Last year the Kings got Gaborik, and Pearson/Toffoli were brought up.... this year going into the deadline.. Pearson/Toffoli could be a little worn down after their first full season.... There's no space to acquire another Gaborik up front... now Gaborik coming back will help... but if the team is worn out like they were last year before the Olympics... there's no break and no spark coming...

So where's the problem?

Players... seems to be one of the best in the league...

Lines.... Sutter is icing Pearson/Carter/Toffoli and his reliance of grinders in the top 6 is decreasing...

System... Sutter is the best coach in the world...

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Kings as good as they are, aren't good enough to shut down the Hawks offense....

This is where the problem is for me.... knowing that the Kings can't play good enough defense alone to get by the Hawks they are going to have to score goals to compete... That's it.... Just think the Kings should put together a game plan with more/better (however you want to describe it) offense so that by the time the playoffs come around they are firing on all cylinders. Not, hey its game 3 against the sharks... just ice the puck to Pearson and see if that works.... since we haven't practiced an uptempo break out all season... Does this make sense to anyone?

Also I think it is a mistake to ride the Kings overly defensive system all year... Sure you learn how to win close games... which is frustrating because other teams come away thinking they outplayed the Kings... The reason is you don't practice the offensive skills needed once the playoffs come around... for instance... Hawks get a 3 on 1 there is stick to stick passing and a good chance generated.... Kings get a 3 on one... Gaborik passes to Kopitar... Kopitar to Brown.. .Brown banks the shot off the goalies far pad and Kopitar tries to hit a bouncing rebound.... Hawks by the time they get to the playoffs have a well oiled offense... Kings are asked to play a way they haven't all year. I don't expect the Kings offense to be as good as the Hawks.... just maybe 15th in the league? I know unreal expectations...

Offensive spark at the deadline... Last year the Kings got Gaborik, and Pearson/Toffoli were brought up.... this year going into the deadline.. Pearson/Toffoli could be a little worn down after their first full season.... There's no space to acquire another Gaborik up front... now Gaborik coming back will help... but if the team is worn out like they were last year before the Olympics... there's no break and no spark coming...

So where's the problem?

Lines.... Sutter is icing Pearson/Carter/Toffoli and his reliance of grinders in the top 6 is decreasing...

You're grasping for straws here. The Kings offense produced in the playoffs. Every time they were down by two goals they pressed the issue and scored.

Also, shooting off the far pad and looking for a rebound is something that NHL teams practice all the time, because they know how difficult it is to get a pass through on a 3-on-2.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
You're grasping for straws here. The Kings offense produced in the playoffs. Every time they were down by two goals they pressed the issue and scored.

Also, shooting off the far pad and looking for a rebound is something that NHL teams practice all the time, because they know how difficult it is to get a pass through on a 3-on-2.

Cool... got it.. Offense is fine... Kings got one line that can produce and it doesn't matter that another functioning line out of Kopitar/Williams/Brown/Richards/King/Stoll can't seem to be assembled...

Here's to hoping Gaborik doesn't get injured in the playoffs.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011

So where's the problem?

You keep bringing up the Hawks offense and how great it is. However you fail to bring up that they lost to us in a 7 game series, and also have just as many cups as we do in the last 5 years. For a team so vastly superior to us it certainly seems pretty even. We beat them one year, they beat us one year. We have two cups, they have two cups.

I am still flabbergasted that this is even a discussion.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Cool... got it.. Offense is fine... Kings got one line that can produce and it doesn't matter that another functioning line out of Kopitar/Williams/Brown/Richards/King/Stoll can't seem to be assembled...

2 cups later and you are still crying about the lack of scoring during the regular season. Some people just need something to ***** about I guess.

No one here gives 2 cents about stats during regular season unless you're in a fantasy league, but then again they shouldn't be in a fantasy league in the first place if they drafted kings forwards.

Ron*

2 cups later and you are still crying about the lack of scoring during the regular season. Some people just need something to ***** about I guess.

No one here gives 2 cents about stats during regular season unless you're in a fantasy league, but then again they shouldn't be in a fantasy league in the first place if they drafted kings forwards.

Two Cups and second place in the composite league standings as of now (until the Ducks win tonight, of course, and that is what it looks like).

Some people are either clueless and/or never happy. This guy can't have been a Kings fan for very long. No one here that's been a fan for a while would ever ***** about being in the middle of a ****ing dynasty, certainly not after what most of us have suffered here to get to this point.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I am still flabbergasted that this is even a discussion.

Yeah, it's a discussion because of how bad the offense is... :laugh: It isn't my fault... I'm just saying there's an issue here....

So just looked up the goals... Brown/Williams scored in the Oilers game.... which was a blow out, RNH was out... Oilers were running 3 Ahl/rookie centers, Gordon was their best center... I believe Nurse/Hunt were in the line up on D.... Oilers are boasting a league worst 4.8 goals against/game right now.

Outside of easy goals on Edm the only King to score (other then 70's) is Kopitar... against the Jets... and Gaborik had an assist....

This is just bad... :laugh: I mean take that Oilers/AHL game out and 1 goal not scored by the 70's line...

And yes I've cheered for the Kings back when they were lucky to be going into the 3rd down by 2... Was it O'donnell that got tripped back in the day crashed into his own goalie, and due to a late whistle the collision put the puck in the net? I've cheered for this team when they weren't good...

Still have a hard time accepting this... But hey Buffalo's coming up!!! Time for some easy goals...

Edit: I wonder if this actually gets to the point where Lombardi makes a trade in October or November.... don't think he's made many/any trades in those months historically...

Ron*

Edit: I wonder if this actually gets to the point where Lombardi makes a trade in October or November.... don't think he's made many/any trades in those months historically...

DeanEyebrows.gif

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010

I know. Kings offense totally sucked in the playoffs :sarcasm:. Can someone look up the highest scoring team and post that for our friend Trofoli…

KingClipper

#FireLuc #FireBlake
Jul 30, 2014
Think what I love most about Sutter is the way he had to admit he was wrong and was forced to play the 70's line. Now with it's success he can't get away from that line since it is caring the team at this point.

Love the term "managed".. you mean he benched Pearson/Toffoli any chance he got? :laugh:

Sutter just leaves a lot to be desired... He gets caught unprepared with his pants down. Bad start to the season last year, bad start to the playoffs, bad start to the season this year. (21st ranked offense with 9 of 12 goals coming from one line)

People are also forgetting that Sutter ran this team into the ground last year and was bailed out by the Olympics giving everyone a break from his BS.

5 games in and here's to hoping Sutter can use his awesomeness to come up with a 2nd line (other then 70's) that can generate offense.... :laugh:

This team is capable of playing on a much higher level....
I'm usually among the first to point the finger at the coach for just about any of my favorite teams, and I'd be lying if I said I haven't been frustrated with Sutter at times, but doing things his way has delivered two Stanley Cups to a franchise that had zero before he showed up. Who would you hire that's any better? :shakehead

By the way, I disagree that this team is capable of playing on a much higher level in the regular season. Regular season hockey is different from playoff hockey and this team is built for the latter, not the former. Would you rather be the Sharks with their flashy regular season records and playoff flameouts?

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
That's how I would describe the 26th ranked offense through the year going into the playoffs thinking his defense only strategy with his patterned slow ass break out was going to work come playoffs. Sharks embarrassed Sutter in the first 2 games... Sutter was then forced to add the Fast break/Stretch pass!!! A correction to his system many people were saying he needed to do all year. Added at such a late point in the year the Kings didn't even try to connect passes, it was ice the puck and rely on Pearson to beat out the icings....

Sutter then got lucky coming back after digging himself a 0-3 hole against the Sharks.... One bad bounce the Kings are out in the first round.... The better question is why where the Kings down 0-3 when they showed they were capable of sweeping the Sharks? Sutter even stated at the time that he didn't have the team prepared...

Fast forward this year.... Slow start... Gaborik out... all but 3 goals scored from one line... now maybe the Kings can get something going.... It's still early.... but this just reminds me of last year.... with the Kings not being able to put much of anything together .... Really with one line of Pearson/Carter/Toffoli, Sutter can't put a second line together with the rest of the pieces that can consistently generate offense? Richard,Kopitar,Williams, Brown, King, Stoll... nothing? really?

Guess I was just in a bad mood... title got me... "Pearson, Toffoli have a long way to go" I get they have a lot of room for improvement, but they are 2 of the 3 players producing at this point... yeah they have a lot of room to grow, but what do people really want from them at this point?

Pearson/Toffoli aren't the only ones who had their Ice time "managed". Remember the Martinez benchings?

Also a Sutter puff piece should probably wait until the Kings offense is in the top half the league... just saying...

I just see this team as capable of a lot more and Sutter's disdain for offense holding this team back...

Did you even read the story? If you had, you wouldn't have asked, "what do people really want from them at this point?"

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I'm not saying it's fine that other players aren't producing yet. You think Kopitar isn't going to get his points this season? Is that what you really believe?

For once, just once, try giving the responsibility to the players instead of the coach.

Meanwhile, the Kings signature move known as "team defense and very good to great goaltending", you know those two things that can carry a team to success, has been good enough to only allow 10 goals in six games. Throw out the banner raising night and it's 6 goals in five games. This is with Muzzin out of the lineup and pairing McNabb with Doughty. Yeah, that Sutter guy doesn't have a clue.

Last edited:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
That's how I would describe the 26th ranked offense through the year going into the playoffs thinking his defense only strategy with his patterned slow ass break out was going to work come playoffs. Sharks embarrassed Sutter in the first 2 games... Sutter was then forced to add the Fast break/Stretch pass!!! A correction to his system many people were saying he needed to do all year. Added at such a late point in the year the Kings didn't even try to connect passes, it was ice the puck and rely on Pearson to beat out the icings....

Sutter then got lucky coming back after digging himself a 0-3 hole against the Sharks.... One bad bounce the Kings are out in the first round.... The better question is why where the Kings down 0-3 when they showed they were capable of sweeping the Sharks? Sutter even stated at the time that he didn't have the team prepared...

Fast forward this year.... Slow start... Gaborik out... all but 3 goals scored from one line... now maybe the Kings can get something going.... It's still early.... but this just reminds me of last year.... with the Kings not being able to put much of anything together .... Really with one line of Pearson/Carter/Toffoli, Sutter can't put a second line together with the rest of the pieces that can consistently generate offense? Richard,Kopitar,Williams, Brown, King, Stoll... nothing? really?

Guess I was just in a bad mood... title got me... "Pearson, Toffoli have a long way to go" I get they have a lot of room for improvement, but they are 2 of the 3 players producing at this point... yeah they have a lot of room to grow, but what do people really want from them at this point?

Pearson/Toffoli aren't the only ones who had their Ice time "managed". Remember the Martinez benchings?

Also a Sutter puff piece should probably wait until the Kings offense is in the top half the league... just saying...

I just see this team as capable of a lot more and Sutter's disdain for offense holding this team back...

I'm REALLY not sure if this is a joke or not.

Ron*

I'm REALLY not sure if this is a joke or not.

At first, when he had the one post, I thought it might be, but when he continued to argue his (nonsensical) points, I knew it was real.

He seems to have relented and posted above that he will try for a positive attitude, so I believe he will. Hopefully, he means it. The opinion is just totally ridiculous, as Gann stated above.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I understand the frustration with the Offensive scheme. But you can't exactly complain about the results in the playoff's.

Also I have to remind myself nightly, It's hard to score in the NHL today. Defenders and Goalies are all really good at what they do.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
I understand the frustration with the Offensive scheme. But you can't exactly complain about the results in the playoff's.

Also I have to remind myself nightly, It's hard to score in the NHL today. Defenders and Goalies are all really good at what they do.

Right? Acting like it's a decisions to make "Hmm I think I'll score today." Or coaches saying "Okay guys, we are going to score today. Does that sound good to everyone?"

6-0. No sweat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad