Kings Article: LA Kings Pearson, Toffoli Still Have A Long Way To Go…That’s A Good Thing

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Very good article.

The most interesting part is Futa saying how Sutter managed their minutes so they can play that high tempo so well in the playoffs.

That should help answer some criticisms of the armchair coaches who would criticize Sutter for not playing them more.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Very good article.

The most interesting part is Futa saying how Sutter managed their minutes so they can play that high tempo so well in the playoffs.

That should help answer some criticisms of the armchair coaches who would criticize Sutter for not playing them more.

They simply ignore it,

People think players are robots, and everyone can play 20+ minutes every night.

Captain Mittens*

This is also a good thin

thin_mints_new_web.jpg

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Very good article.

The year Philly had Bobrovsky for his rookie season, Laviolette overplayed the heck out of him and by the time the playoffs rolled around, he was physically exhausted and an emotional wreck. The way Sutter has handled them is perfect. Even if they want to play a ton, it's up to the coach to be in charge.

Ron*

Very good article.

Sutter is a genius, especially with his line combos and managing player time. His coaching moves in the WCF and SCF were off the charts.

I saw a poster *****ing the other day about messing with line combos...wanted to slam him. Jesus Gibson, how anyone can find fault with Sutter after two titles in three seasons...just no words.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Sutter is a genius, especially with his line combos and managing player time. His coaching moves in the WCF and SCF were off the charts.

I saw a poster *****ing the other day about messing with line combos...wanted to slam him. Jesus Gibson, how anyone can find fault with Sutter after two titles in three seasons...just no words.

I stopped *****ing about the coaching moves long ago, Sutter knows what he is doing.

I am some guy that is simply a fan.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
This is also a good thin

thin_mints_new_web.jpg

:clap: I'll admit, this made me laugh.

Another great article, Gann. Great to see Tanner realize his potential. They really have a plan for slowly bringing the young ones along and not rushing them, despite the players' desire to play in the NHL right away. I never get tired of reading what Mike Futa says.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Think what I love most about Sutter is the way he had to admit he was wrong and was forced to play the 70's line. Now with it's success he can't get away from that line since it is caring the team at this point.

Love the term "managed".. you mean he benched Pearson/Toffoli any chance he got? :laugh:

Sutter just leaves a lot to be desired... He gets caught unprepared with his pants down. Bad start to the season last year, bad start to the playoffs, bad start to the season this year. (21st ranked offense with 9 of 12 goals coming from one line)

People are also forgetting that Sutter ran this team into the ground last year and was bailed out by the Olympics giving everyone a break from his BS.

5 games in and here's to hoping Sutter can use his awesomeness to come up with a 2nd line (other then 70's) that can generate offense.... :laugh:

This team is capable of playing on a much higher level....

Ron*

Think what I love most about Sutter is the way he had to admit he was wrong and was forced to play the 70's line. Now with it's success he can't get away from that line since it is caring the team at this point.

Love the term "managed".. you mean he benched Pearson/Toffoli any chance he got? :laugh:

Sutter just leaves a lot to be desired... He gets caught unprepared with his pants down. Bad start to the season last year, bad start to the playoffs, bad start to the season this year. (21st ranked offense with 9 of 12 goals coming from one line)

People are also forgetting that Sutter ran this team into the ground last year and was bailed out by the Olympics giving everyone a break from his BS.

5 games in and here's to hoping Sutter can use his awesomeness to come up with a 2nd line (other then 70's) that can generate offense.... :laugh:

Been watching hockey long?

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net

This is entirely ridiculous.

Ron*

This is entirely ridiculous.

This is my favorite part:

Sutter just leaves a lot to be desired... He gets caught unprepared with his pants down.

Daryl Sutter has won two Stanley Cups in three seasons. But he gets caught unprepared with his pants down.

Scotty Bowman won nine Stanley Cups with three separate teams. He must think ol' Scotty waddles around 24/7 with his pants at his ankles.

Captain Mittens*

Sutter just leaves a lot to be desired... He gets caught unprepared with his pants down.

You did The Fappening all wrong. You were supposed to look up Jennifer Lawrence and Kate Upton

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
This is my favorite part:

Daryl Sutter has won two Stanley Cups in three seasons. But he gets caught unprepared with his pants down.

Scotty Bowman won nine Stanley Cups with three separate teams. He must think ol' Scotty waddles around 24/7 with his pants at his ankles.

That's how I would describe the 26th ranked offense through the year going into the playoffs thinking his defense only strategy with his patterned slow ass break out was going to work come playoffs. Sharks embarrassed Sutter in the first 2 games... Sutter was then forced to add the Fast break/Stretch pass!!! A correction to his system many people were saying he needed to do all year. Added at such a late point in the year the Kings didn't even try to connect passes, it was ice the puck and rely on Pearson to beat out the icings....

Sutter then got lucky coming back after digging himself a 0-3 hole against the Sharks.... One bad bounce the Kings are out in the first round.... The better question is why where the Kings down 0-3 when they showed they were capable of sweeping the Sharks? Sutter even stated at the time that he didn't have the team prepared...

Fast forward this year.... Slow start... Gaborik out... all but 3 goals scored from one line... now maybe the Kings can get something going.... It's still early.... but this just reminds me of last year.... with the Kings not being able to put much of anything together .... Really with one line of Pearson/Carter/Toffoli, Sutter can't put a second line together with the rest of the pieces that can consistently generate offense? Richard,Kopitar,Williams, Brown, King, Stoll... nothing? really?

Guess I was just in a bad mood... title got me... "Pearson, Toffoli have a long way to go" I get they have a lot of room for improvement, but they are 2 of the 3 players producing at this point... yeah they have a lot of room to grow, but what do people really want from them at this point?

Pearson/Toffoli aren't the only ones who had their Ice time "managed". Remember the Martinez benchings?

Also a Sutter puff piece should probably wait until the Kings offense is in the top half the league... just saying...

I just see this team as capable of a lot more and Sutter's disdain for offense holding this team back...

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Sorry, but I have to agree with many others and say you are wrong. I think more than any other coach around the NHL these days Sutter understands that the season in a marathon. Everything he does during the season is geared toward a) making the playoffs and b) putting his players (especially the younger ones) in a position to succeed once the playoffs start.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
That's how I would describe the 26th ranked offense through the year going into the playoffs thinking his defense only strategy with his patterned slow ass break out was going to work come playoffs. Sharks embarrassed Sutter in the first 2 games... Sutter was then forced to add the Fast break/Stretch pass!!! A correction to his system many people were saying he needed to do all year. Added at such a late point in the year the Kings didn't even try to connect passes, it was ice the puck and rely on Pearson to beat out the icings....

Sutter then got lucky coming back after digging himself a 0-3 hole against the Sharks.... One bad bounce the Kings are out in the first round.... The better question is why where the Kings down 0-3 when they showed they were capable of sweeping the Sharks? Sutter even stated at the time that he didn't have the team prepared...

Fast forward this year.... Slow start... Gaborik out... all but 3 goals scored from one line... now maybe the Kings can get something going.... It's still early.... but this just reminds me of last year.... with the Kings not being able to put much of anything together .... Really with one line of Pearson/Carter/Toffoli, Sutter can't put a second line together with the rest of the pieces that can consistently generate offense? Richard,Kopitar,Williams, Brown, King, Stoll... nothing? really?

Guess I was just in a bad mood... title got me... "Pearson, Toffoli have a long way to go" I get they have a lot of room for improvement, but they are 2 of the 3 players producing at this point... yeah they have a lot of room to grow, but what do people really want from them at this point?

Pearson/Toffoli aren't the only ones who had their Ice time "managed". Remember the Martinez benchings?

Also a Sutter puff piece should probably wait until the Kings offense is in the top half the league... just saying...

I just see this team as capable of a lot more and Sutter's disdain for offense holding this team back...

kings_m5hjlhpd.jpg

los-angeles-kings-stanley-cup-win.jpg

Totally holding them back.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site

driv·el
ˈdrivəl/

noun

1. silly nonsense.
"don't talk such drivel!"
synonyms: nonsense, twaddle, claptrap, balderdash, gibberish, rubbish, mumbo jumbo, garbage; More

verb
verb: drivel; 3rd person present: drivels; past tense: drivelled; past participle: drivelled; gerund or present participle: drivelling; past tense: driveled; past participle: driveled; gerund or present participle: driveling
1. talk nonsense.
"he was driveling on about the glory days"
synonyms: talk nonsense, talk rubbish, babble, ramble, gibber, blather, prattle, gabble, waffle
"you always drivel on"

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Sorry, but I have to agree with many others and say you are wrong. I think more than any other coach around the NHL these days Sutter understands that the season in a marathon. Everything he does during the season is geared toward a) making the playoffs and b) putting his players (especially the younger ones) in a position to succeed once the playoffs start.

This is true... but I'll add a c) developing the skills needed to be successful in the playoffs...

Sutter had to rely on an uptempo fast break offense at points to get teams to back off... asking the team to play this type of game after playing Sutter's system all year and guys getting benched for playing that way is pretty unfair to the players....

I'm not saying dump the defense first system... I do not believe offense/defense are mutually exclusive... take teams like the Blues and Bruins... good D last year and good offenses... It would be great for Sutter to figure out what is the problem keeping the core of this team from generating consistent offense during the regular season. Maybe it will change, but this is looking a lot like last year so far... If it takes a trade.. do it..

Gaborik is still out.. but that's not really an excuse... so next year's playoffs all the Sharks have to do to destroy the Kings offense is have Torres take a run at Gaborik game 1... Kings need to be able to produce despite injuries.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
This is true... but I'll add a c) developing the skills needed to be successful in the playoffs...

Sutter had to rely on an uptempo fast break offense at points to get teams to back off... asking the team to play this type of game after playing Sutter's system all year and guys getting benched for playing that way is pretty unfair to the players....

I'm not saying dump the defense first system... I do not believe offense/defense are mutually exclusive... take teams like the Blues and Bruins... good D last year and good offenses... It would be great for Sutter to figure out what is the problem keeping the core of this team from generating consistent offense during the regular season. Maybe it will change, but this is looking a lot like last year so far... If it takes a trade.. do it..

Gaborik is still out.. but that's not really an excuse... so next year's playoffs all the Sharks have to do to destroy the Kings offense is have Torres take a run at Gaborik game 1... Kings need to be able to produce despite injuries.

So what exactly do you expect? 3 cups in 3 years and 3 president's trophies? I'm confused entirely by what you consider disappointment with Sutter. A better offense? We've won two championships with what you consider a subpar offense. I really don't know how you can be unhappy with the job he has done. Results are results yo.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I'm going to wait AT LEAST another game or two before I throw Kopitar, Williams, and Brown under the bus seeing as how not too long ago many experts were calling them the best line in hockey.

The Kings have a solid top nine that can produce offense. It will always be stunted somewhat by a system where defensive responsibility is preached. When the Kings have a lead their forwards don't take unnecessary chances and so they don't pad their stats.

When the Kings were down by a goal or more in the last year's playoffs they almost always were able to battle back. The offense is their when they need it to be there.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
So what exactly do you expect? 3 cups in 3 years and 3 president's trophies? I'm confused entirely by what you consider disappointment with Sutter. A better offense? We've won two championships with what you consider a subpar offense. I really don't know how you can be unhappy with the job he has done. Results are results yo.

Guess I just want an offense where other teams don't start their backup goalies against the Kings, because the Kings offense is a joke... and have to listen to the whole "hot goaltender"... I mean it's still early, but the Kings just dropped a game to Dubnyk in net for the Coyotes... I mean come the **** on....

Warning signs are starting to pop up just like last season.

Edit: Still early ... so maybe it straightens out... just took a really long time to straighten out last year....

Ron*

Guess I just want an offense where other teams don't start their backup goalies against the Kings, because the Kings offense is a joke... and have to listen to the whole "hot goaltender"... I mean it's still early, but the Kings just dropped a game to Dubnyk in net for the Coyotes... I mean come the **** on....

Warning signs are starting to pop up just like last season.

You are unreachable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad