Kings Article: LA Kings Pearson, Toffoli Still Have A Long Way To Go…That’s A Good Thing

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I only care about 3 stat categories at the end of the year. GAA, possession numbers and road record. In 2013, the Kings GAA was higher than normal and their road record stank by Kings standards. 2012 and 2014 they were good across the board in those 3 categories. Those 3 things are the Kings playoff success indicators to me. It's too early to come to any kind of conclusion and worry about shortcomings.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
This team has 3 lines and 4 two way defensemen that can score, and that means the other team can't put their best defenders against one line.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Ok... let me try one last time to explain where a good portion of my frustration with Sutter comes from....

I was watching the Olympics... First thing that jumped out at me was that Doughty/Voynov were having trouble with outlet passes in their first couple of games. My guess was that on the Kings the outlet pass goes to a wing on the half wall, short pass. So it took Doughty/Voynov a little bit to adjust to their Olympic teams.

Now going forward to the playoffs, Todd McLellan exploited the Kings lack of a long/fast break out, to jump out to a couple game lead in the series. Teams don't throw their whole game plan out come playoffs, but if your opponent has a weakness you exploit it. My problem here is that sitting around on my couch drinking a 6 pack watching a game I'm seeing something that could be a problem. If I'm seeing the problem there are a lot of hockey professionals that should be picking up on it too.

Fix for the problem. Find ways of countering your own system. Ask where are the points that your system breaks down. For the Kings last year this was overloading with pressure on the Kings defensive end. Next you come up with adjustments, like Sutter adding the stretch pass. Then you practice the skills you need throughout the season so if a team tries to exploit something with your game plan you can make an in game adjustment. It's about flexibility and being able to adapt to what your opponents are trying to do. This doesn't mean throw out your game plan, rather adjust.

Sutter has been making some adjustments too his game plan... so he isn't immobile, just the evolution is slow at times... Like the integration of skill players over grinders in the line up. Also he made a good adjustment against the Hawks, by having the D back off, because the Hawks are good at chipping the puck by the D and getting breakaways...

I just want Sutter to be proactive and not quite so rigid... look at his plan... find the breakdowns and have adjustments ready... Then have the players practice the adjustments so they can be thrown in. At a moments notice.

Also this the team can turn it on for the playoffs I don't buy. I don't believe the team just turned it on for last years playoffs... I believe it was the addition of Gaborik/Pearson/Toffoli that did it...

We are seeing a new issue with the team....
Gaborik/Kopitar/Brown
Pearson/Carter/Toffoli
King/Stoll/Williams

Has an elite goal scorer Gaborik/Carter on 2 lines... then depth scoring on the 3rd with Williams and King. That gets you 3 lines that can score goals...

Richards/Kopitar/Williams
Pearson/Carter/Toffoli
King/Stoll/Brown

Now we only have one elite goal scorer in Carter and really only 1 line capable of scoring. What I expect to start happening is 70's drawing better defensive pairings because the other 2 lines aren't getting anything done...

The problem here is that if you knock Gaborik out Kings are a one line team. In the playoffs this is a huge incentive for teams to try and run/injure him.

Possible solutions...
1)
Brown/Kopitar/Carter
Pearson/Richards/Toffoli
King/Stoll/Williams

Spreads out offense, so you are back to 2 lines that can get a goal and depth scoring... of course Pearson/Richards/Toffoli isn't as good as it is with Carter, but it requires opposing teams to shut down more then 1 line. Now the hang up with Sutter is that Carter>Richards on D... Would it work.... don't know till it's tried and it won't be tried... From a science background it isn't if something is right or wrong... you experiment... try it and observe what happens.... may not work...

2) Richards adjust to LW and makes Kopitar a scoring threat.

3) Trade for an additional 1st line elite goal scorer so in the event of Gaborik/Carter getting injured the team isn't reduced to a 1 line team. Ok, some people are going to be going on about Williams/Brown... All they have to do is show they can get it done... I'm not seeing it right now... maybe that changes in the future....

4) None of this matters now that Muzzin/Voynov are out cause this is about to get ugly. :laugh:

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
It can be argued the kings already have the deepest group of forwards... And you think we need to trade for a 1st line winger too?

Pls can you put together any realistic trade proposals that we can Land another elite winger ( that is proven)?

Injuries happen and that's why it's difficult to repeat in the cap era.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
It can be argued the kings already have the deepest group of forwards... And you think we need to trade for a 1st line winger too?

Pls can you put together any realistic trade proposals that we can Land another elite winger ( that is proven)?

Injuries happen and that's why it's difficult to repeat in the cap era.

Depth does not make up for lack of 1st line players as the Gaborik injury is proving. What we are seeing is a bunch of players being asked to fill, temporarily, Gaborik's roll and failing at it.

Can't wait to see this thrown back at me after someone puts up a hatty against Buffalo...

2 2nd's and Frattin at the deadline? Acquire cap space by trimming one of the "top 6" non producing contracts for picks and prospects... Hell put King back with Kopitar... Ok that's kind of a joke and I'm only saying that since Lewis is injured and so can not play on the first line. :laugh:

I just give up...

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
Depth does not make up for lack of 1st line players as the Gaborik injury is proving. What we are seeing is a bunch of players being asked to fill, temporarily, Gaborik's roll and failing at it.

Can't wait to see this thrown back at me after someone puts up a hatty against Buffalo...

2 2nd's and Frattin at the deadline? Acquire cap space by trimming one of the "top 6" non producing contracts for picks and prospects... Hell put King back with Kopitar... Ok that's kind of a joke and I'm only saying that since Lewis is injured and so can not play on the first line. :laugh:

I just give up...

Once again, give me an example of a realistic move? We got gabby cuz he was a ufa. Now look at the next wave of UFA wingers and tell me which "elite" 1st line winger might be available this season? Outside of St. Louis there really isn't anyone who is a significant upgrade over brown or Williams. Williams and brown both have scored 30 goals in a season and had 20 numerous times..... They are the depth since both can and have played 1st line minutes with the kings.

If you want elite first wingers, then you have to pay. We don't have the same assets we did before (Schenn, simmonds, jj, etc)... You would guarantee one of Pearson or toffoli would be a cog of such a large deal.

serenity now

Dec 12, 2009
Lower California
I have been a King fan since I was 6 years old. I am 51 now. I waited 24 years to see my team just make it to the Stanley Cup Finals. I waited 19 more years to see my team win the Stanley Cup (in person)for the first time. I waited 2 years more to see my team win it the 2nd time and was in my seat as I watched them raise the 2nd banner.

I endured Jack Kent Cooke letting Bob Pulford go, I cried when my idol Rogie Vachon was shipped out of town, I remember the day they traded Butch Goring and later Marcel Dionne and later Luc Robatille, I endured Bruce McNall's corruption, The team go through bankruptcy not to mention more losing seasons than I care to remember...

...And Daryl Sutter is not doing an adequate job as coach?

Wow? Just wow. That's all I got.

Ron*

I have been a King fan since I was 6 years old. I am 51 now. I waited 24 years to see my team just make it to the Stanley Cup Finals. I waited 19 more years to see my team win the Stanley Cup (in person)for the first time. I waited 2 years more to see my team win it the 2nd time and was in my seat as I watched them raise the 2nd banner.

I endured Jack Kent Cooke letting Bob Pulford go, I cried when my idol Rogie Vachon was shipped out of town, I remember the day they traded Butch Goring and later Marcel Dionne and later Luc Robatille, I endured Bruce McNall's corruption, The team go through bankruptcy not to mention more losing seasons than I care to remember...

...And Daryl Sutter is not doing an adequate job as coach?

Wow? Just wow. That's all I got.

Platinum.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

That guy clearly hasn't endured and suffered through the years like we have.

That is why I asked him how long he had been watching hockey. The fact that he didn't respond to my question was all the answer I needed.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Platinum.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

That guy clearly hasn't endured and suffered through the years like we have.

That is why I asked him how long he had been watching hockey. The fact that he didn't respond to my question was all the answer I needed.

Friend got me watching games a year or 2 after Kings made the finals with Gretzky.... I'm not 50 so no I don't remember the Kings of the 70's/80's... There were some pretty bad years in there... lol... Kelly facing 40-50 shots per night...

Team is good... but some issues still need to be addressed... I guess everyone is cool with playing 4 elimination games to get out of the first round.... I'm not ok with that. The sharks exploited something that could be seen by everyone by mid season... I expect better... not because I expect the team to win the cup every year, but because I don't want to see this team at the best it's ever been blow an opportunity in the playoffs because the players haven't developed the skills they need in the playoffs, during the regular season.

Now don't think I'm being unfair to Sutter there are some players that need to start earning their contracts at this point... :laugh:

KingClipper

#FireLuc #FireBlake
Jul 30, 2014
Sutter: 2
Every other coach we've ever had: 0

That's really all that needs to be said. And while you keep complaining about all the adversity we faced in last year's playoffs, you have ignored that Sutter also coached the dominant 2012 run.

I actually loved the adversity last year... in my eyes, we had the most satisfying championship run in sports history last season. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Friend got me watching games a year or 2 after Kings made the finals with Gretzky.... I'm not 50 so no I don't remember the Kings of the 70's/80's... There were some pretty bad years in there... lol... Kelly facing 40-50 shots per night...

Team is good... but some issues still need to be addressed... I guess everyone is cool with playing 4 elimination games to get out of the first round.... I'm not ok with that. The sharks exploited something that could be seen by everyone by mid season... I expect better... not because I expect the team to win the cup every year, but because I don't want to see this team at the best it's ever been blow an opportunity in the playoffs because the players haven't developed the skills they need in the playoffs, during the regular season.

Now don't think I'm being unfair to Sutter there are some players that need to start earning their contracts at this point... :laugh:

The point is there is no "perfect" team. Yes, it would be great if the Kings were more offensive. The difference is you sound less forgiving in spite of the overwhelming results of getting 2 cups in 3 years.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Just be a Sharks fan, and get over it. They have plenty of offense and regular season success.

The Sharks board is that way.....

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013

I just give up...

Don't. I like when someone is able to turn a critical eye to spot potential problems. We need a mix of perspectives. We don't all have to be a Pollyanna to be a "real" Kings fan. I enjoy reading your posts.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Sutter: 2
Every other coach we've ever had: 0

That's really all that needs to be said. And while you keep complaining about all the adversity we faced in last year's playoffs, you have ignored that Sutter also coached the dominant 2012 run.

I actually loved the adversity last year... in my eyes, we had the most satisfying championship run in sports history last season. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

2012 was a great run... I do not think that game plan will work again going forward. The Kings system was built on trapping teams in their defensive zone and grinding them to a pulp... The Hawks the next year showed the adjustment to that strategy. Chip the puck past the D trying to stand up on the blue line for a breakaway. The last Kings, Sharks series was pretty much the 12-13 Kigns, Hawks in reverse. The Sharks were trying to trap the Kings in their D zone... counter was to chip the puck past the Sharks D... The point is that the game is constantly changing, and being able to adapt is key.

The adversity from last year lead to a record setting run, 3 games 7's what 6-7 elimination games... It was very exciting... The problem I have with it is in my view some of the adversity was avoidable by making small corrections during the year.

The point is there is no "perfect" team. Yes, it would be great if the Kings were more offensive. The difference is you sound less forgiving in spite of the overwhelming results of getting 2 cups in 3 years.

I need to work on my communication, and being more positive.

There is no perfect team, but that means there's always room for improvement! :)

Just be a Sharks fan, and get over it. They have plenty of offense and regular season success.

The Sharks board is that way.....

I can't abandon the Kings with Pearson contending for the Calder! Crazy talk!!!

scott12199

May 7, 2014
@Trolfoli

Maybe the Kings should fire Sutter and make you head coach because you seem to know exactly what will make the kings a better team. Just leave the coaching to professionals and enjoy the ride.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I need to work on my communication, and being more positive.

There is no perfect team, but that means there's always room for improvement! :)

I wouldn't say communication is a problem, nor am I saying you need to be more positive.

I just think your criticisms are a bit unrealistic and unfair.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California

I actually loved the way that series went. After we went down 3-0, my stress level went down.

BTW, you should try and contact Sutter one of these days and tell him about your ideas on how he can become a better coach. I'm sure he'll listen. ;)

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
@Trolfoli

Maybe the Kings should fire Sutter and make you head coach because you seem to know exactly what will make the kings a better team. Just leave the coaching to professionals and enjoy the ride.

Gaborik got injured and the guys got one line... King was on the "first" line in practice today... I mean come on... I'd put that 1976 guy behind the bench... at least there would be some truculence. :laugh:

If you want to place some of the blame on the players... cool... Maybe the time for sending a message is getting here... with Lombardi not really making trades in Oct/Nov they probably have till December at least... :(

But none of this really matters all that much if Voynov's out for any extended period of time this is going to get real good.

I just love all these response... Tell you the truth... Can't ask the question, "can we do better?" or, "can we improve?" Without having a ton of people jump all over you... :laugh:

Kings struggling to score going into play Buffalo with King on the first line... where have I seen this movie before? Now all we need is for Quick to tear his groin in OT against Buffalo before losing in the shoot out because the back up is coming in cold and Lewis is in the Shootout... :laugh:

Secretly what I'm cheering for at the end of this year is for Stoll to chase big money and Sutter to not retire and forced to play Richards at 3c all season! :laugh:

At least the Kings are still winning Corsi... ?

Edit... I'm not the only one not happy.. Thanks Ron for posting this link.

"I know we better start playing our game. I don’t think anybody has been thrilled with the way we’ve been playing. Now let’s throw another challenge in there. ... Other than the goalie, we’re not exactly playing Kings hockey, that’s for sure."
Lombardi

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lombardi-639213-voynov-met.html

Last edited:

scott12199

May 7, 2014
At least the Kings are still winning Corsi... ?

Edit... I'm not the only one not happy.. Thanks Ron for posting this link.

The Kings may not be winning Corsi but they are winning. Out of 29 teams, only three teams have a better record. The way the Kings are winning right now is how they won their games in the 2012 season. If you watch them during the 2012 playoffs, they were out shot by other teams but also manage to win the game. There is nothing wrong with how they are playing right now. it is only the 6 game of the regular season. There's 76 more games to play. Just sit back and relax. Make your judgement at the end of the playoffs.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
The Kings may not be winning Corsi but they are winning. Out of 29 teams, only three teams have a better record. The way the Kings are winning right now is how they won their games in the 2012 season. If you watch them during the 2012 playoffs, they were out shot by other teams but also manage to win the game. There is nothing wrong with how they are playing right now. it is only the 6 game of the regular season. There's 76 more games to play. Just sit back and relax. Make your judgement at the end of the playoffs.

I respectfully disagree with the bolded.

Here is how the 2012 playoffs broke down for the Kings at all game situations:

-outshot teams 12 times, were outshot 7 times, and split the shots 1 time;
-out-Fenwicked teams 14 times and were out-Fenwicked 6 times; and
-out-Corsi'd teams 15 times and were out-Corsi'd 5 times.

Here is how the 2012 playoffs broke down for the Kings at 5-on-5 close situations:

-outshot teams 12 times, were outshot 6 times, and split the shots 2 times;
-out-Fenwicked teams 15 times and were out-Fenwicked 5 times; and
-out-Corsi'd teams 16 times and were out-Corsi'd 4 times (which, not surprisingly enough, is what their record was during that run.

serenity now

Dec 12, 2009
Lower California
Despite short summer-No cup hangover
Gaborik has only played 1 game
Only one line is scoring
Our 2nd best defenseman is out indefinitely
Our 3rd best defenseman missed the first 6 games
One of top PK'ers has played 1 game
Quick has had to stand on head.

Off to a start that has us in top 3 out of 30 teams.

About to conclude best homestand in history of franchise.

It is a marathon not a sprint.

It is a pretty good team that seems to know what it needs to do to be succesful

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Despite short summer-No cup hangover
Gaborik has only played 1 game
Only one line is scoring
Our 2nd best defenseman is out indefinitely
Our 3rd best defenseman missed the first 6 games
One of top PK'ers has played 1 game
Quick has had to stand on head.

Off to a start that has us in top 3 out of 30 teams.

About to conclude best homestand in history of franchise.

It is a marathon not a sprint.

It is a pretty good team that seems to know what it needs to do to be succesful

Pretty much. While they can't sustain what they are doing indefinitely, it is a team that certainly knows how to win and with all that's wrong, they are still doing just that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad