Pre-Game Talk: LA Kings on Saturday

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Chuck Pleiness ‏@wingsfrontman 2h
Datsyuk just left practice early. Not a good sign.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The Production Line ‏@TPLhockey 1 t
Since 2009-10 and through yesterday, the Red Wings have lost 1,227 man-games to injury, which is only good enough for 9th most in the NHL.

NYI lead the way (1,455), and Boston is the team whose doctors everyone should try and poach (584).

On Saturday, however, Detroit will become the ONLY TEAM to have 200 mangames lost in each of the last five years, including the lockout one.

#consistency

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
For Pavel, maybe (still highly doubt it though) but Alfie has already won gold so I gotta think he'd much rather have the SC and would be in the line up helping his team in the the dogfight they're in for a playoff spot if he was healthy enough to play.

I don't really buy this conspiracy theory.

I'm not saying they're sitting out completely healthy. Just being more cautious than normally. These are the last Olympics for a bunch of guys, but they still have NHL seasons left in the tank. It's "unfortunate" for the Wings to have so many olympians in the position they're in, but I'm not blaming anybody.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm not saying they're sitting out completely healthy. Just being more cautious than normally. These are the last Olympics for a bunch of guys, but they still have NHL seasons left in the tank. It's "unfortunate" for the Wings to have so many olympians in the position they're in, but I'm not blaming anybody.

Speaking of the Olympics, while I love the Swedish roster on paper, it seems so many of their key players are banged up. Zetterberg, Ericsson, Alfredsson, Franzen, Loui Eriksson... that's just off the top of my head of guys who are nursing injuries or have been injured lately. Steen? Him as well.

Going to be tough for them.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
no injured guys back once again

i'm starting to latch onto this theory that some of these guys are saving themselves for the olympics and playing it safe

Honestly, I'm starting to think that too.

How you feeling Mule? Sorry coach, I thought I was getting better, but I just skated and started feeling dizzy at the end

How you feeling Pav, can you go tonight? Sorry coach, I thought I was ready, but I just felt it tightening up in that last drill.....

For Pav especially, this is huge. Captain of his country, in a home Olympics. He's got his 2 cups and all his selkes and Byngs and all his other pots and pans - but he hasn't got an Olympic Gold. Who could blame him for being cautious?

On the flip side, Z seems to be playing through a back injury again.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Honestly, I'm starting to think that too.

For Pav especially, this is huge. Captain of his country, in a home Olympics. He's got his 2 cups and all his selkes and Byngs and all his other pots and pans - but he hasn't got an Olympic Gold. Who could blame him for being cautious?

On the flip side, Z seems to be playing through a back injury again.

Exactly. I think some people are underestimating how important these Olympics are to players, especially the Russians.

As for Z, he always been playing with back pain. I think he has just learned to deal with it over the years

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Why don't Samuelsson just walk away from his contract like Rafalski did, and Rafalski even left a lot more term and money on the table... Samuelsson is a ****ing joke.. now 20 years old's getting a spot instead of you, how do you feel Samuelsson? Be realistic and realize you're DONE.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Why don't Samuelsson just walk away from his contract like Rafalski did, and Rafalski even left a lot more term and money on the table... Samuelsson is a ****ing joke.. now 20 years old's getting a spot instead of you, how do you feel Samuelsson? Be realistic and realize you're DONE.

Because its mid-season. Sammy could go back to Sweden tomorrow and we'd still be on the hook for $3M till the end of the season.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Speaking of the Olympics, while I love the Swedish roster on paper, it seems so many of their key players are banged up. Zetterberg, Ericsson, Alfredsson, Franzen, Loui Eriksson... that's just off the top of my head of guys who are nursing injuries or have been injured lately. Steen? Him as well.

Going to be tough for them.

Sure, it's a concern. Pretty much only the Red Wing guys injured now though, rest are back playing. Steen back tomorrow. A few injuries on D can be replaced, harder on offense.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
i was referring more towards datsyuk and alfredsson. i'm not saying that they aren't hurting but i have a feeling that if there weren't the olympics this year, they would both be playing right now.

i just think they are all playing it extra careful right now so that they can be sure that they are good to go in the olympics. i'm not bashing them for doing it as i understand the olympics are almost as important to these players as the stanley cup is, especially for datsyuk being named captain and the olympics being played in his home country. there's a lot on the line for him and russia in these olympics

you can't tell me that the olympics aren't on the minds of these players right now

Datsyuk joins the triple gold club if he wins gold in sochi.

Brandel*

Exactly. I think some people are underestimating how important these Olympics are to players, especially the Russians.

As for Z, he always been playing with back pain. I think he has just learned to deal with it over the years

Don't think so, he's not taking practices. He's playing through an injury because he takes the captaincy extremely seriously and knows how garbage the roster would be without him.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Don't think so, he's not taking practices. He's playing through an injury because he takes the captaincy extremely seriously and knows how garbage the roster would be without him.

This year I've really grown to appreciate Z so much more as a leader and captain. As been said before, he puts the team on his aching back and gives 110%. Also, it would be pretty cool if HF Boards implemented a like option for posts. Someone should suggest it those whom run the site. That would be pretty neat.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Just walk away Sammy. There is a bag of money waiting for you if you do.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

he's always had chronic back pain as far i know. sometimes it flares up worse than normal.

but i do love the fact that he's not using the Olympic excuse to rest up

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Datsyuk going on day 18 of being "day to day".

Check the standings out, we are in 12th in the East. So depressing.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
He's only signed till the end of the year. He's 100% gone. We need to start a political action campaign to not sign Cleary. That's much more important for the future of this team.

Agreed. Sammy's small time, here. He only plays when we're absolutely desperate for him too. He'll be gone when the season's over. Now Cleary, there's the real problem.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Sammy has been so disappointing. It's weird to me, though, how Cleary and Bertuzzi don't do a whole lot, but end up playing a ton of minutes on a night to night basis. Sammy doesn't do a whole lot, but he is always getting the shaft. Why did Detroit even sign this guy? It seems like Babcock hasn't liked playing him basically ever since he was signed again. Even last year, Sammy was a healthy scratch at times. It just makes no sense.

I'm not at all defending Sammy by saying he should be playing Cleary or Bertuzzi's minutes, but I definitely don't understand what the other two have done that Sammy hasn't done. With that being said, I still think that as the calendar turned from December to January, Cleary has been one of the better forwards on the team on a night-to-night basis. He's not connecting on the scoresheet a whole lot, hasn't all year or last year, but he's looking a bit better out there. Bertuzzi, on the other hand...

Hopefully Detroit can steal a couple of points tonight.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Just looked, last season we had 56 pts in 48 and we're 50 in 47 at the moment. Not quite as bad as it seems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad