Rumor: LA Kings looking at Markov

Status
Not open for further replies.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I wish but unfortunately Gainey is not the GM in LA, they have a real GM who manages assets well.

I'd take either one of them for Markov who is a rental, but if I were LA I'd be all over Vanek and get his family to fall in love with LA and then resign him. They have a good D group but need scoring up front:nod:

Lombardi knows the value of a PP quarterback like Markov let me assure you of that fact and he has the young prospects that the Habs would like to trade for also. The Habs can get Kyle Clifford, a prospect and a late 1st rounder for Markov, it would be hard to turn down IMHO.:nod:

The odds on the NYI's trading Vanek to any team other than Minnesota are wild, considering that's where he met his wife and her family is there. He just turned down $50 mil for 7 yrs. to play with Tavares, not very likely anyone is going to talk him out of signing with the Wild in Minnesota.:nod:

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
I hope we not trade Markov. Our defense is ****ed without him. With Diaz gone, we're already short one top 4 defenseman.

pine*

Sam Pollock was in a different era,hockey is a much more different business nowadays.Who knows maybe Markov agrees to go to a contender team to finish the year ( hopefully win a stanley cup ) and then re-signs with the habs in the offseason i remember it happening with someone not too long ago but forgot who,has much as i love Markov we have to think what would be best for our Habs and Andrei aint in hes prime ne more.If the right offer comes then you pull the trigger

Keith Tkachuk.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
LOL Diaz a top 4. The guy is a 6-7th dman who will only excel on a team with big players and PP time.

He frequently logged 20+ minutes, that is top 4 time.

He played a team high 25 minutes in his first game with vancouver.

He was a rock with Gorges on our second pairing. It's a luxury to have him on the third pairing, but he's definitely capable of playing in the top 4.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Come again? He was picked in the first round as a 19-year-old precisely because he has top six potential. You don't pick an overage 6-0 forward in the first round if you think he's going to play a checking role. The kid is very smart and has good hands.

I'm not a huge fan, but if you can get Clifford and a first pick as well. that's not a bad haul if you think Markov is not returning.

This is the type of deal that will help the Habs depth in a huge way, adding two young forwards and a 1st. That's the fast forward play and the smart one all at once, it also presents the Habs with two 1st round picks in 2014. With Beaulieu and Bennett ready to step into the PMD roles that Markov and Diaz were playing. The Habs could package other players for more picks, when Clifford and Pearson step into roles also.

Full speed ahead is my call, the Habs are in need of all three assets IMHO.:handclap:Linden Vey is another very good prospect worth looking at IMO.

Odelein24

Sep 17, 2009
Montreal

He was a rock with Gorges on our second pairing. It's a luxury to have him on the third pairing, but he's definitely capable of playing in the top 4.

I might be mistaken here but I seem to remember that the gorges/Diaz pairing was soft and pooped on all the time. Not blaming either one of gorges or diaz but they did not look good together.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I only would trade Markov for Tyler Toffoli and nobody else.

That is way over value for Markov.

Markov wouldn't return that much. He's either done, or done as top pairing d-man. According to how you want to word it. His play has really fallen off since start of season. He can no longer play a lot of minutes over a full season. Can get a couple more decent years if he is insulated on a deep, talented defense. But not many teams in that position. The trade return is not there.

Bergs won't be trading Markov. He wouldn't be that soft, thin out his blueline depth after dealing Diaz then deal Markov. Habs battling for for a playoff spot, if an injury occurs his season be over. Both Bo and Drewisky be taking regular shifts then....not good.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC

logged 20 min in the press box yes

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I've never seen Toffoli play but looking at his stats, there's no way in hell we'd get him for Markov.

It's a tough call but if we can get a first rounder plus than I'd be down. Too bad Nygren left so quickly.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
I'm fine with the Weiss trade but if he trades for more bottom 6ers it's getting ridiculous. How can MB watch this team and think "the problem is we are lacking 3rd and 4th liners"

Markov 50% retained for Tyler Toffoli, or keep markov. That is one of the only deals that makes sense.

I am not that jazzed up about Clifford and it is nice to know I'm not completely out to lunch. Clifford had one year as barely a PPG in the OHL, has 45 points in 250 NHL games and has two recent concussions. Don't see the attraction and certainly do not see where a team already employing Prust, White, Moen and now Weise should keep adding more of that type of player.

Agree that adding pieces like 20-ish draft picks and bottom 6 forwards isn't going to accomplish much. It's like trading a dollar for four quarters. The team is dying for scoring on the wings and I'd much rather trade Markov + for a young scoring winger than trade Markov for 2 or 3 OK pieces.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
That is way over value for Markov.

Markov wouldn't return that much. He's either done, or done as top pairing d-man. According to how you want to word it. His play has really fallen off since start of season. He can no longer play a lot of minutes over a full season. Can get a couple more decent years if he is insulated on a deep, talented defense. But not many teams in that position. The trade return is not there.

Bergs won't be trading Markov. He wouldn't be that soft, thin out his blueline depth after dealing Diaz then deal Markov. Habs battling for for a playoff spot, if an injury occurs his season be over. Both Bo and Drewisky be taking regular shifts then....not good.

If a team is serious about a playoff run and think Markov is the missing piece they would definitely move Toffoli for him, he is a good prospect but isn't the next Crosby or Ovechkin, you are getting carried away.

Not sure where you get that Markov is in any way "done". He's been used as a #2 d-man this year and has done very well, better than last year. Is he the player he was 4-5 years ago, not quite, but he is still a legit top pair NHL d-man. 4-5 years ago he should have been a Norris contender and might have won if he was more flamboyant/flashy or on a cup contender.

Either you hit a home run trade wise or you keep him...assuming the cost is reasonable with a home town discount at 2-3 years.

PricePkPatch*

If a team is serious about a playoff run and think Markov is the missing piece they would definitely move Toffoli for him, he is a good prospect but isn't the next Crosby or Ovechkin, you are getting carried away.

Not sure where you get that Markov is in any way "done". He's been used as a #2 d-man this year and has done very well, better than last year. Is he the player he was 4-5 years ago, not quite, but he is still a legit top pair NHL d-man. 4-5 years ago he should have been a Norris contender and might have won if he was more flamboyant/flashy or on a cup contender.

Either you hit a home run trade wise or you keep him...assuming the cost is reasonable with a home town discount at 2-3 years.

Why would a team who wants to make a cup run give up a 40-point rookie who shows lots of promise?

We will only get unproven prospects who aren't actually contributing to their team if we trade to a contending team.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Why would a team who wants to make a cup run give up a 40-point rookie who shows lots of promise?

We will only get unproven prospects who aren't actually contributing to their team if we trade to a contending team.

Because they want to win now, not in 5 years.

PricePkPatch*

He has 2 points in 16 games since December 19th, I'm sure they can survive without his "contributions"

He's their 8th scorer, having 20 points in 40-something games while being on the 2nd worst offence of the NHL.

At this point, the Kings are gonna keep whatever offence they already have. They will NOT give up Toffoli if they are serious about a cup run. Get real and wake up.

The Gal Pals

Breaking Hab
Oct 28, 2006
I hope we not trade Markov. Our defense is ****ed without him. With Diaz gone, we're already short one top 4 defenseman.

Listen our defense is ****ed in the coming years anyway because he's closing in on retirement in a few years. All smart teams trade their valuable vets at some point to stock the cupboards with picks and prospects. This may turn out to be Markov's last productive year anyway.

Plus I wouldn't be too sad to lose him for the playoffs because he disappears as sonn as things get physical. And if he really wants to return this summer, he can.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
He's their 8th scorer, having 20 points in 40-something games while being on the 2nd worst offence of the NHL.

At this point, the Kings are gonna keep whatever offence they already have. They will NOT give up Toffoli if they are serious about a cup run. Get real and wake up.

Markov would add a lot more to their offense than a 3rd line rookie not producing.

Bottom line the Habs can trade him elsewhere for a comparable young player if LA won't move him...just saying if they can't at least get a young player like that, keep him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Trading Markov is a bush move -- Sam Pollock would never have considered it. You don't give up your best and most productive players over a ten year span for a dubious gain. It sends a terrible, destructive message to the rest of the organization: no matter what you do for us, the moment we think we can get some advantage, we'll send your exhausted carcass right out of town. That's what bad organizations do.
It's exactly what Pollock would've done. Only he would've done it a while ago and rebuilt properly.

Now? Man... we're only a few pieces away but losing Markov sets us back. But then again he's a diminishing asset. Yes, it makes sense to deal him but you'd better get a really good return. And if it's for a bunch of grinders then it's completely useless to do it.

Bottom line: He's getting older and won't be effective in a few years anyway. If you can get an asset that we can build around, I'm cool with it. But it HAS to be something that's going to help us.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
It's exactly what Pollock would've done. Only he would've done it a while ago and rebuilt properly.

Now? Man... we're only a few pieces away but losing Markov sets us back. But then again he's a diminishing asset. Yes, it makes sense to deal him but you'd better get a really good return. And if it's for a bunch of grinders then it's completely useless to do it.

If you can't get a stud prospect you may as well keep him. He'll make a bigger impact sheltering and helping a kid like Beaulieu and then Tinordi/Pateryn than giving him away for B prospects and having to rush kids into 20-22 minutes a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad