Kings Article: LA Kings: Jaret Anderson-Dolan Is Exceeding Expectations

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
There are always players who everyone is high on when they are age 19-21 who never fulfill our expectations. For instance, I won't be shocked if Kupari doesn't make it with the Kings. Not picking on him in particular, but with his injury and delay in his development it will be tough for him. The Kings likely already have younger and more talented forwards in the pipeline, especially after the coming draft.
EXACTLY! 100% correct. That is why it is so great overloading on prospects at this time. If more then half of them make the NHL (which appears likelyish) then we have done a great job. Up to the kids once they get picked mostly.

Reactions: KINGS17

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
I know we have better prospects now but I would be careful of discounting JAD. If he ends up as "just" a 4C, that means something else went incredibly right, imo. Like, Turcotte Vilardi Kupari are all Cs or something.
In terms of the C position, nothing needs to go incredibly right for Kopi, Turcotte and Vilardi to stay ahead of JAD on the depth chart for the next few years.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Tyler Madden could end up staying at C as he matures and is subjected to pro trainers and nutritionists. And we're not even taking into account who we could end up with in this draft. That's what makes this all so incredibly exciting.

Reactions: ricardfromage

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
There are always players who everyone is high on when they are age 19-21 who never fulfill our expectations. For instance, I won't be shocked if Kupari doesn't make it with the Kings. Not picking on him in particular, but with his injury and delay in his development it will be tough for him. The Kings likely already have younger and more talented forwards in the pipeline, especially after the coming draft.

Yes, and on the flipside, there are always random surprises. Look at where this forum had Roy and Lizotte rated before the season, for instance.

In terms of the C position, nothing needs to go incredibly right for Kopi, Turcotte and Vilardi to stay ahead of JAD on the depth chart for the next few years.

I agree. I probably worded that poorly. I mean that if JAD settles in at 4C it doesn't necessarily mean he didn't develop, it means that other players did, our depth chart above him is insane right now.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
This is it though they ‘should‘ always be ahead of him. If you throw in Madden, if those guys hit their ceilings none of them are happy or suited to a 4c role and most likely not a 3c role. It means at least one gets traded or moves to a different position. Then the upcoming draft complicates it further.

So, someone like JAD has value as he’s a player for a different role. I don’t see them as his competition to be in the NHL, instead he is competing with Amadio, Thomas and Lizotte to play as 4c and the likes of Wagner, Grundström, Fagemo and Prokhorkin to play on the wing in the bottom 6. I don’t think it’s that much of a stretch to see him beat out some of those guys and land a spot on the 4th line. However, I do think he needs more AHL time to maximise his offensive potential and is instead perhaps one of the first guys that gets called up if needed (15-20 games would be perfect). I’d rather see Amadio filling the spot at 4c so JAD (and Thomas) can play big minutes in the AHL. Then hopefully he hits his potential and ends up a more rounded bottom 6 forward that can also play on the PK and provide a little secondary offence.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
This is it though they ‘should‘ always be ahead of him. If you throw in Madden, if those guys hit their ceilings none of them are happy or suited to a 4c role and most likely not a 3c role. It means at least one gets traded or moves to a different position. Then the upcoming draft complicates it further.

So, someone like JAD has value as he’s a player for a different role. I don’t see them as his competition to be in the NHL, instead he is competing with Amadio, Thomas and Lizotte to play as 4c and the likes of Wagner, Grundström, Fagemo and Prokhorkin to play on the wing in the bottom 6. I don’t think it’s that much of a stretch to see him beat out some of those guys and land a spot on the 4th line. However, I do think he needs more AHL time to maximise his offensive potential and is instead perhaps one of the first guys that gets called up if needed (15-20 games would be perfect). I’d rather see Amadio filling the spot at 4c so JAD (and Thomas) can play big minutes in the AHL. Then hopefully he hits his potential and ends up a more rounded bottom 6 forward that can also play on the PK and provide a little secondary offence.
Yeah he could definitely land on our 4th line.

Reactions: ricardfromage

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Anderson-Dolan needs another season perhaps 1 1/2 years in Ontario to be ready. And if the Kings plan to turn him into a LWinger let him hone his skills there. AD can be a very good third liner that plays an all round game and chips in offensively too

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The great thing about Kopitar is that someday, when Turcotte and Vilardi are our top two centers, he’s going to be one hell of a third line center to have to play against.

Kaliyev - Vilardi - Raymond
Fagemo - Turcotte - Madden
Anderson-Dolan - Kopitar - Thomas

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetty Green

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
The great thing about Kopitar is that someday, when Turcotte and Vilardi are our top two centers, he’s going to be one hell of a third line center to have to play against.

I don't see this happening. I don't think Vilardi and Turcotte will surpass Kopitar. They seem like 2C ceiling kind of guys. I hope I am wrong.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
I don't see this happening. I don't think Vilardi and Turcotte will surpass Kopitar. They seem like 2C ceiling kind of guys. I hope I am wrong.

It’s going to happen at some point, though it might not be Vilardi or Turcotte. If in five years, Kopitar—at 38 years old—is our top center, we’re f***ed.

Also, to be clear, I’m not expecting us to fill out our entire roster with homegrown prospects. I would guess many of them don’t make the team.

I think Vilardi has 1C potential though.

Reactions: lumbergh

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Yes, for the bargain basement price of a $10M cap hit.

Kopitar has four years remaining on his deal. There is an outside chance Kopitar will still be on the roster when the Kings are a playoff team again.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Yes, for the bargain basement price of a $10M cap hit.

Kopitar has four years remaining on his deal. There is an outside chance Kopitar will still be on the roster when the Kings are a playoff team again.

He’s still worth $10,000,000 right now so I’m not sure what your point is. He’s currently 9th in active scoring leaders in the NHL. He’s a top-tier shutdown first-line center. There is no world in which Kopitar isn’t worth that money, even if his play fades a bit in three years.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
It’s going to happen at some point, though it might not be Vilardi or Turcotte. If in five years, Kopitar—at 38 years old—is our top center, we’re f***ed.

Also, to be clear, I’m not expecting us to fill out our entire roster with homegrown prospects. I would guess many of them don’t make the team.

I think Vilardi has 1C potential though.
I would really like to see Vilardi as a top flight centre on the Kings some day...but seriously I just don't see it becoming a reality...Turcotte yes,Vilardi no!

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
1C, think kopitar without the top speed. People don't like his skating, but his game doesn't revolve around his skating, it's all puck protection, vision and stick handling.

I think he's kind of in between Kopi and Jason Allison. If he can keep improving on his face-off ability, he's 1C talent for sure. The one issue he had last season was that he seemed to fall down quite a bit later in his shifts. I think that's 100% attributable to building his stamina and strength training and won't be an issue long term. To be expected after such a long lay-off.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I don't dive deep in to prospects and watch shift-by-shift YouTube vids but Vilardi's highlight reel screamed Jason Allison but with a better looking shot. That's pretty high praise since Allison was PPG in his own healthy season in LA and put up 95 the season before during the Dead Puck Era. To me, Allison is the best passing centerman the Kings have had since I've been a fan behind only Gretzky.

Now, today's game is faster so the skating could be more of an issue than it was for Allison back then; however, if Vilardi can get stronger than he can start putting defenders on his back in the offensive zone and just dominate.

He's been the Kings best prospect the moment he was drafted through today when not factoring in the back problems. If he can stay healthy and get stronger, he definitely has 1C potential. Small sample size but he had 7 points in 10 games while playing ~13 minutes a night. Over 50% on face-offs. Just like it was even before he was drafted: it is all about his health and if those health problems will limit his strength and the amount of minutes he can play.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
1C, think kopitar without the top speed. People don't like his skating, but his game doesn't revolve around his skating, it's all puck protection, vision and stick handling.
He's a better passer than Kopitar.

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
The Gifted: Gabe Vilardi and the Art of Being Effective Without Being Noticed... by Wheeler

Before he fell to the Kings at 11th overall in 2017, he spent the most of the year ranked at No. 4 and No. 5 on my draft board. His Memorial Cup performance was some of the best hockey I’ve ever seen a 17-year-old play on that stage, and was chief among the reasons I was as surprised when he fell out of the top-10 a few weeks later at the draft. On a talented Windsor team that featured Jeremy Bracco, Logan Brown, and Mikhail Sergachev, among others, Vilardi was, far and away their best player despite not scoring a single goal...But you quickly learn, when you dig a little deeper, that Vilardi’s game is about the details...One of the bigger strengths of Vilardi’s game is his defensive play...What stands out isn’t how aggressive he is in pursuit (Vilardi isn’t a particularly strong skater but it doesn’t prevent him from getting in on the forecheck) but rather what he does after he finishes his check behind the net. A lot of players would stop moving there. Vilardi stays in motion and makes sure he gets to the front of the net to get a piece before the shot gets through...Sometimes, the little plays he makes are easily missed...He’s also just plain strong, and for every battle he wins with his stick, he wins another with body positioning and strength...Over the course of a game, these little plays add up...Because he always has his feet moving, despite his size, Vilardi also draws a lot of penalties...He rotates aggressively towards the wall to make himself available as a pass option, even if it takes him away from the slot, and Vilardi employs that again, and again...Offensively, Vilardi also has some quirks to his game that allow him to make plays — but they aren’t the kind of quirks that look like they’re high-end skills. The first is his ability to protect the puck...The ability to handle the puck while skating with a variety of strides/on a variety of edges, allows him to remain a cycle protection threat in tight spaces too...Those puck skills, matched with his strength, his playmaking, and his ability to get into open space also make Vilardi a versatile option on the powerplay...Most of all, you’ll see a player who attacks and then makes quick decisions. There’s no hesitation. When he curls towards the slot, it’s to make the next play...Vilardi’s biggest offensive weapon has become his shot...he has developed a technique in his shot that allows him to remain elusive and unpredictable...Vilardi’s curl and drag allows him to create uncomfortable angles for goalies off of set-pieces and faceoffs too...You’re left with a kid who makes plays without breaking anyone’s ankles with a deke or burning them wide with speed. You’ve got a centre who’s as responsible in his own zone as he is with the puck in the other team’s. You’ve got a versatile power-play threat. You’ve got a big kid who protects the puck well and handles it effectively in tight. And you’ve got a player who gets into open space without wasting it, and works hard to close down on another player’s when he doesn’t have any.
All of those things sound like a modern, possession-driving, in-control NHL centre.

The Gifted: Kings prospect Gabe Vilardi and the art of being...

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
@psych3man
I was trying to find this article today but the Athletic's search function is garbage, plus I thought it was a Pronman piece.

I was trying to find it so I could reference how he was a Kings prospect that had an entire article devoted to him, post-draft, that just gushed over his skills. I could see them doing one on Kaliyev in regards to his special goal scoring traits but the point of my original post was that Vilardi is/was a special prospect. Like, he absolutely takes a dump on Kupari and will be a better NHL player than Turcotte in the event both players hit their respective ceilings and are healthy. Now, the Kings have had Turcotte ranked 7 by Pronman going into last season and then Kaliyev at 7 for Pronman's mid-season rankings so they've had players since Vilardi that have been higher in these rankings but, IMO, he would have been higher than seven if there weren't any health concerns.

I understand that Turcotte's 200 foot game is better but Vilardi's skills have always been at a different level for me and it is in a big boy package. He and Kaliyev are my favorite prospects because their special skills jump off the screen and, as I admitted earlier, I'm not some heavy film review scout. I've watched a lot of f***ing hockey in my life though and you know when someone has that something and when they don't.

Vilardi is so key to this rebuild. He has that 1C scoring potential and can finally be an answer to the question: "What the f*** are the Kings doing on the power play?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad