Kings Article: LA Kings Darryl Sutter Talks Helicopters, Prophecies After Wednesday Practice

Ryan120420

Dec 2, 2010
IF hes been medically cleared and is refusing to play, then its time to suspend him.

Makes no sense to pay for a player who refuses to play.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
This has got to be the stupidest series of posts ever. Is he hunting and fishing now or are people talking about what he did during the time he was locked out? And for those who want him traded? A) are you crazy and B) do you really think a team is going to want an old guy with a knee injury that even doctors can't agree on the severity/type of injury? If he can't handle heavy skating and if the knee swells after skating, he can't play. Sheesh!

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Jesus,

That had to be some of the dumbest posting I have ever witnessed on the Kings message board.

Guys, Willie Mitchell will come back when he is ready.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
IF hes been medically cleared and is refusing to play, then its time to suspend him.

Makes no sense to pay for a player who refuses to play.

He is already suspended. He got injured during the lockout. Technically, Kopitar was suspended for a game as well.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
You guys are so quick to jump on people sometimes.

None of us know the full story, but some people feel that IF Willie Mitchell is defying the entire Kings staff by staying home for no good reason then clearly something needs to be done, right? I think any rational person would agree with that.

I think most of us feel, however, that WM is a warrior and that there must be more than meets the eye.

Geez, relax.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
He is already suspended. He got injured during the lockout. Technically, Kopitar was suspended for a game as well.
The Kings have to actively suspend them. Lombardi said it was a subject they would discuss, but I have seen nothing to indicate Mitchell is suspended by the team. I guarantee you he's still collecting a paycheck.

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
The Kings have to actively suspend them. Lombardi said it was a subject they would discuss, but I have seen nothing to indicate Mitchell is suspended by the team. I guarantee you he's still collecting a paycheck.

I suppose, but it is mind boggling to me that they would be paid for time missed and that they wouldn't have provisions for such things. Obviously the players have reported and need to be cared for by the team and use their facilities, but time missed due to injuries occurred during the lockout shouldn't be covered by the team. Not that it matters either way, since the contracts are insured...

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If I'm a GM and his knee is acting up for no specific reason I'd move him. Knee problems.. Older player.. Move him before it's too late cause this can be a serious loss. I love wm but this is too risky.

He never should've hiked up that mountain with the cup on his back. The knee has ever been the same:naughty:

Bondoao1

Oct 4, 2009
SoCal
If he is medically cleared to play, then he needs to get his ass out on the ice. Hell for 3-4 million a year, i'd play on a broken leg.

I played on a broken leg for the final 3 games of a season for much much less... actualy it was -$125 out of my pocket per season... haha... no wonder why i feel like im 80 with arthritis.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I suppose, but it is mind boggling to me that they would be paid for time missed and that they wouldn't have provisions for such things. Obviously the players have reported and need to be cared for by the team and use their facilities, but time missed due to injuries occurred during the lockout shouldn't be covered by the team. Not that it matters either way, since the contracts are insured...

All contracts have provisions for this sort of stuff, but all contracts no longer apply during the lockout. It's the same reason players under contract can go play in Europe without asking for their teams permission. Contracts, and all provisions inside, can't be enforced during the lockout.

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
All contracts have provisions for this sort of stuff, but all contracts no longer apply during the lockout. It's the same reason players under contract can go play in Europe without asking for their teams permission. Contracts, and all provisions inside, can't be enforced during the lockout.

Right, but I mean that if they get injured during the lockout, they don't get paid, but can still use team services without being officially suspended and locked out the doors.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Right, but I mean that if they get injured during the lockout, they don't get paid, but can still use team services without being officially suspended and locked out the doors.

They could be locked out I believe, that should be up to the team. They aren't paid, you are correct in that.

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
No one has been suspended. Kopitar was never suspended.

They could be locked out I believe, that should be up to the team. They aren't paid, you are correct in that.

Here is the conundrum. We know they aren't officially "suspended", but the question is are they still receiving paychecks? Do they get payed for games lost due to lockout injury? We know that the team doesn't have to pay them, but is the team paying them regardless, or are they saying, "you missed a couple of days of work and that is coming off your pay". Obviously, it is different with a contracted individual, but there were provisions during the lockout for this sort of thing.

I love Mitchell and I support his decision. If he says he isn't ready to play, then he isn't ready to play. He would never intentionally hurt the team and he isn't the kind of player to drag something like this out, so I trust his judgement. But it is mind boggling to me if the Kings have been paying him all this time, not to mention it makes zero business sense for AEG. He may not be officially suspended, but are they paying him for an injury he received during the offseason, and now after having been cleared of it, he still refuses to play?

I know they want the player to still be around the team, seen by the medical staff, going through their therapy and rehabilitation, and also have access to skating and workout facilities, and they don't want to kick them out and detach them from these services, but do they still have to pay them during this time if they have access to those things and refuse to play?

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Here is the conundrum. We know they aren't officially "suspended", but the question is are they still receiving paychecks? Do they get payed for games lost due to lockout injury? We know that the team doesn't have to pay them, but is the team paying them regardless, or are they saying, "you missed a couple of days of work and that is coming off your pay". Obviously, it is different with a contracted individual, but there were provisions during the lockout for this sort of thing.

I love Mitchell and I support his decision. If he says he isn't ready to play, then he isn't ready to play. He would never intentionally hurt the team and he isn't the kind of player to drag something like this out, so I trust his judgement. But it is mind boggling to me if the Kings have been paying him all this time, not to mention it makes zero business sense for AEG. He may not be officially suspended, but are they paying him for an injury he received during the offseason, and now after having been cleared of it, he still refuses to play?

I know they want the player to still be around the team, seen by the medical staff, going through their therapy and rehabilitation, and also have access to skating and workout facilities, and they don't want to kick them out and detach them from these services, but do they still have to pay them during this time if they have access to those things and refuse to play?

I'd assume a refusal to work is grounds for no pay. I mean if you were medically cleared to go back to work and you said no, would your employer pay you to sit at home until you felt like you were ready?

Odds are no, unless they really liked you or something.

I don't think the Kings are overly worried about keeping Willie happy by paying him while he sits out, just judging by how theya re handling the injury. DS has made a snide comment already about it, and the fact they won't even give a time frame for his return, something they do with all other injuries, tell me they aren't treating this the same.

Telos

Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I'd assume a refusal to work is grounds for no pay. I mean if you were medically cleared to go back to work and you said no, would your employer pay you to sit at home until you felt like you were ready?

Odds are no, unless they really liked you or something.

I don't think the Kings are overly worried about keeping Willie happy by paying him while he sits out, just judging by how theya re handling the injury. DS has made a snide comment already about it, and the fact they won't even give a time frame for his return, something they do with all other injuries, tell me they aren't treating this the same.

Well, right, you and me are on the same page. When I said 'suspended' I meant it as they were technically not getting paid for their time off due to lockout injury, not formal discipline or locking them out. It would be shocking to learn that AEG is actually paying them through that period. It just seems like a logical assumption would be that they weren't getting paid for that time, as AEG has zero obligation whatsoever to pay them. They don't have to, so why do it?

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net

They were listed as non-roster players when the season began. They were not suspended. That means they were getting paid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad