Kings Article: LA Kings Darryl Sutter Talks Helicopters, Prophecies After Wednesday Practice

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
As for veteran defenseman Willie Mitchell, who continues to recover, rather mysteriously, from off-season knee surgery, Sutter had the following to say…

“The only thing I can tell you is that historically, he’s a player who has missed significant periods of time during his career, and it appears that he’s historically doing that again.â€

:laugh:

Good read, thanks!

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I'd assume he thinks Willie should be playing and Willie doesn't agree with him.

It'd explain why he's medically cleared to play and why the team refuses to give a timeline on his return yet give a timeline for everyone else that is hurt.

KingKopitar11*

Geez. It seems like Sutter is annoyed with WM. WTF is going on?

Can you blame him? He's missing from the line up with a weird thing that only he seems to know. I'd be pissed off too if my best player was acting like cinderella.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Can you blame him? He's missing from the line up with a weird thing that only he seems to know. I'd be pissed off too if my best player was acting like cinderella.

I mean, I understand what you mean but... has WM had a history of being some kind of wuss in the past? Even if that is the case, why the hell would Sutter call him out so publicly? This whole thing is starting to worry me.

Are we running into another Jason Allison kind of thing?

KingKopitar11*

I mean, I understand what you mean but... has WM had a history of being some kind of wuss in the past? Even if that is the case, why the hell would Sutter call him out so publicly? This whole thing is starting to worry me.

Are we running into another Jason Allison kind of thing?

Sutter is always vocal of his players, and it seems Mitchell doesn't tell them a reason as to why he's out, and the staff looks like they are in the dark, he's pissed, can't blame him.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Sutter is always vocal of his players, and it seems Mitchell doesn't tell them a reason as to why he's out, and the staff looks like they are in the dark, he's pissed, can't blame him.

But how does this kind of thing work? If Willie refuses to show up and play when the Kings think he should be there can they dock salary? Fine him?

KingKopitar11*

But how does this kind of thing work? If Willie refuses to show up and play when the Kings think he should be there can they dock salary? Fine him?

I'm sure it's not that he doesn't want to play, I'm sure he does, but it looks like he's being cautious to the extent that the staff has no idea what the precautions are. They believe him I'm sure but they don't see what the heck he is talking about.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
If he is medically cleared to play, then he needs to get his ass out on the ice. Hell for 3-4 million a year, i'd play on a broken leg.

Would you if you had 719 NHL games, a Stanely Cup, likely $20 mill in the bank while staring retirement in the face? At some point you have to look at your future and the ability to live well after the game, and apparently Willie is doing that now.

KingKopitar11*

Would you if you had 719 NHL games, a Stanely Cup, likely $20 mill in the bank while staring retirement in the face? At some point you have to look at your future and the ability to live well after the game, and apparently Willie is doing that now.

If its that serious I'd really like to get a trade for him. It'd suck ass if he retires now and we have a hole in the defense. If it's a retirement injury or something that can easily side track him again we better get a deal for him soon cause its too risky.

bobafettish*

apparently it didn't stop from hunting or fishing or whatever he did to get hurt in the first place.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I have heard a rumor regarding WM. Don't kill the messenger (or at least make it quick and let em burry me with my "character face" in tact).

Willie has sought out a couple of additional opinions on his knee and they aren't all in agreement (or weren't as of Tuesday day). I have heard that (as of Tuesday) WM still feels soreness in his knee whenever he uses it under heavy skating. It swells up and then goes back down.

The team may have cleared him but he is facing a couple of things that he has to be considered as well.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Don't think it's fair to Willie to start drawing up conclusions when we don't know any of the details. It's pure speculation at this point.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
If its that serious I'd really like to get a trade for him. It'd suck ass if he retires now and we have a hole in the defense. If it's a retirement injury or something that can easily side track him again we better get a deal for him soon cause its too risky.

Who'd trade for a guy who is medically cleared to play but won't?

you would if you were a MAN

Yeah, that's it. You don't feel like you are ready to play, like somethings wrong, but yeah, if you're a man, you ignore that gut feeling and play anyways. :shakehead

apparently it didn't stop from hunting or fishing or whatever he did to get hurt in the first place.

Exactly. As I said, he may very well be thinking of his future and being able to enjoy it. If buggering up his knee comes from going fishing, then maybe the drive to play more hockey is fading.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I'm pretty sure the medical staff and Sutter have an inkling as to why Mitchell can't play, but they're keeping it hush hush.

Mitchell is all heart and it is obviously a big deal that is keeping him from playing. Think for a second before you speculate and call him a wuss, demanding him to get back on the ice.

There is life outside of hockey and if it has anything to do with the significant concussions that he's suffered before than he does need time to reconsider his career.

But again I don't think there should be speculation over whether or not he should be playing. Poor example, didn't want to bring up the C word.

KingKopitar11*

I have heard a rumor regarding WM. Don't kill the messenger (or at least make it quick and let em burry me with my "character face" in tact).

Willie has sought out a couple of additional opinions on his knee and they aren't all in agreement (or weren't as of Tuesday day). I have heard that (as of Tuesday) WM still feels soreness in his knee whenever he uses it under heavy skating. It swells up and then goes back down.

The team may have cleared him but he is facing a couple of things that he has to be considered as well.

If I'm a GM and his knee is acting up for no specific reason I'd move him. Knee problems.. Older player.. Move him before it's too late cause this can be a serious loss. I love wm but this is too risky.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
If I'm a GM and his knee is acting up for no specific reason I'd move him. Knee problems.. Older player.. Move him before it's too late cause this can be a serious loss. I love wm but this is too risky.

While I understand what you are saying, this isn't how you build a rep as a 'class' organization, not to mention there's no guarantee the other teams medical staff will clear him on their physical. If we as fans know there's something up with his knee, odds are the whole NHL community knows it too.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I'm pretty sure the medical staff and Sutter have an inkling as to why Mitchell can't play, but they're keeping it hush hush.

Mitchell is all heart and it is obviously a big deal that is keeping him from playing. Think for a second before you speculate and call him a wuss, demanding him to get back on the ice.

There is life outside of hockey and if it has anything to do with the significant concussions that he's suffered before than he does need time to reconsider his career.

But again I don't think there should be speculation over whether or not he should be playing. Poor example, didn't want to bring up the C word.
Every single piece of information we've heard about Mitchell is that it is inflammation in the knee he had surgery on in the offseason that is keeping him out, not concussion-related issues.

KingKopitar11*

While I understand what you are saying, this isn't how you build a rep as a 'class' organization, not to mention there's no guarantee the other teams medical staff will clear him on their physical. If we as fans know there's something up with his knee, odds are the whole NHL community knows it too.

I'm sure they all know that Mitchell is a #1.if we get a 3-4 for him and pull it off, it gets rid of that risk that maybe this year or the next it puts him put for good. Any other team that really wants to take a chance at a number one for one of their second pair defenseman they'd maybe do it.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I'm sure they all know that Mitchell is a #1.if we get a 3-4 for him and pull it off, it gets rid of that risk that maybe this year or the next it puts him put for good. Any other team that really wants to take a chance at a number one for one of their second pair defenseman they'd maybe do it.

For a team to take the rsik you are claiming, they wouldn't pay that price tag. Think of it like this; our second pairing right now is likely Martinez and Voynov. Would you trade one of them for a Willie Mitchell?

KingKopitar11*

For a team to take the rsik you are claiming, they wouldn't pay that price tag. Think of it like this; our second pairing right now is likely Martinez and Voynov. Would you trade one of them for a Willie Mitchell?

Different types of players trade for a stay at home defenseman for a stay at home. It's more doable. And some team might if they are desperate enough for a great stay at home defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad